Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Projects
Reload this Page >

04 F250 (6.0 automatic 4x4) swap to 6.7 cummins with G56 trans.

Notices
Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

Old 02-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Steven Leisenring
New User
Steven Leisenring is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hey guys, first post here. I've been a bmw guy all my life and my dad always drove fords so naturally I own both. However, every body has to appreciate the simplicity, reliability and capability of a cummins. So, here's my situation...

I own a 2004 F250 super duty 4x4 off road with an automatic transmission and the 6.slow psd. I love my truck, I love the amazing sound of the 6.0 and it's been very impressive given the few mods I've done. But like all tuned 6 liters with 300k miles, the transmission is starting to get a little sloppy and I'm starting to lose a little bit of coolant (very little as of now but will continue to worsen). It has all original head gaskets, injectors, ficm, etc so it's really just a matter of time before I start having some serious problems with it. I'm definitely not against just letting the heads go then putting studs in and all that but with 300k miles, I feel I would be better off just buying a crate 6.0 and building that up. I may end up doing that anyway depending on what kind of info I can get out of you guys.

What I really want to do is swap a 6.7 cummins with a g56 manual trans into my truck. I've done research on this but everything I've seen has been on 05 and up trucks which have a different front end suspension setup and a lot more clearance. However, I've also read that the 6.7 and 5.9 are identical in size (or at least very close) and I know people have swapped 5.9s into a bunch of trucks, including ford 150 and 250s all the way back to 84. So I imagine fitting the 6.7 engine wouldn't be an issue but I could be wrong. In addition, the swaps I've seen have used the 5r110 automatic transmission or the zf6, both from Ford. I've briefly read about the g56 and zf6 and their differences. From my understanding the zf6 has its own cooling circuit but other than that, there isn't much difference as far as performance, strength or shift quality (please correct me if I'm wrong). I wouldn't be doing any serious towing so the zf6 cooling benefits wouldn't really play a role with me, but the only reason I'm leaning more towards the g56 is because I don't feel like spending $800 on an adapter plate to mate the 6.7 to the zf6, if I can just use the g56.

I know that some of you may think this idea is stupid, and I accept that. But I think it would be fun and would definitely be something different. As long as it's possible, I want to do it. My plan is to buy a low mile used engine with all components (injectors, turbo, harness, etc), manual trans and transfer case. I've found 1 on ebay that fits that exact description (maybe too good to be true, I'll have to inquire about it). With the engine out, I would go ahead and do studs and any other upgrades I had the money to do at that time before the install. My goal is obviously to have a power house, nothing crazy, 600 hp or so if it goes as planned. It won't really be used for towing anything heavy, maybe a car trailer every now and then but nothing major or frequent. Mostly it would be a nice toy that I can also use for work.

Again, I know some of you may think it's stupid, I get it. But I would really like some input on the idea. I know a lot of guys prefer the 5.9 due to the simplicity but I would really like to entertain the 6.7 idea as my first choice, then go to the 5.9 if the those plans fall through. Do you guys think fitment would be an issue, even though the 5.9 and 6.7 are supposedly quite close in size? Should I use the g56 manual trans or the zf6? To me it would make more sense to just use the g56 unless there are benefits/reasons to go another route that I'm overlooking. I'll be doing all the work myself, my plan is to get the engine and trans, doing any upgrades while everything is out, finding conversion engine/trans mounts if I can or fabricating my own if need be, getting custom driveshafts made to fit the truck, then bolting it all up. From there I'll have to wire up the gauges and tie in the ecm/harness to work with the Ford, then get some aftermarket tuning to wrap it all up.

I'm not looking to get slammed or insulted here, just want some honest opinions and hopefully helpful information. I'm aware that a 5.9 swap will be easier, and it may be more practical but I'd like to at least look into the 6.7 swap first. And just to clear the air, the only reason I'm entertaining these ideas is because the truck has some sentimental value (my girlfriends dad sold it to me for next to nothing and I want to keep it, not turn around and sell it and make money off of it after he basically gave it to me), and to me, it makes more sense to just spend 10 to 15 grand on a swap and have the engine and manual trans I want in my current truck, as opposed to going out and spending 30 to 50 grand on a newer truck. And before you ask why I need a truck in the first place, I'll give you a quick, simple answer: I don't. I don't use it for work and I rarely use it for towing. But I've found that the times I do "need" the truck, I'm certainly glad that I have one. And the fact that it won't be used as a daily or workhorse is also why I want to put a modified, hopefully high powered cummins in it.

So, what do you guys think? [Terribly sorry for the long post, I just wanted all the details spelled out. ]
-originally posted in cummins forum but was told I would have better luck posting here.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:18 PM
fordman75
Postmaster
fordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the forums.

I don't know all that much about Super Duty trucks and even less about diesels. You might have better luck posting your questions in the Super Duty forum here: Super Duty & Heavy Duty - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 02-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Steven Leisenring
New User
Steven Leisenring is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by fordman75 View Post
Welcome to the forums.

I don't know all that much about Super Duty trucks and even less about diesels. You might have better luck posting your questions in the Super Duty forum here: Super Duty & Heavy Duty - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Thank you, I posted it in the link you gave and hope to get some insight soon.