2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

"Thud" in driveline on acceleration from a dead stop.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 08:14 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Glad to hear it was as simple as that. It's not that uncommon for them to be stingy with the spline lube during assembly. Imagine how many never notice.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:38 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Glad to hear it was as simple as that. It's not that uncommon for them to be stingy with the spline lube during assembly. Imagine how many never notice.
Haha yeah. It drives much more "normal" now. Sometimes if I'm slowing down and start moving again before completely stopping it still feels like a little slack is taken up but beyond that it's buttery smooth now lol.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:40 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Old 02-07-2016, 12:15 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Good job. It probably took longer to jack it up, then set it down and clean up than it did to do the job.

I dont trust the dealer to do little things anymore. If the tech is under 40 or so, they probably never learned to do old fashioned trouble shooting. If there isn't a code, TSB or recall, then there is no fix.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:39 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Thanks for the pics Mike.

Mine gets a little clunky from time to time, but it doesn't really bother me. My only concern with pulling the driveshaft is that some of those fasteners are supposed to be replaced rather than reinstalled. I'm not sure if the ones used on the F150 are that way, but until I see the shop manual I probably wouldn't pull mine.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:47 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Looks like JKBrad nailed it for you, and deserves some reps from you. But, did you use PTFE lubricant (D2AZ-19590-A) or the equivalent? If not I'm guessing it isn't greased "for life" and will have to be regreased periodically.

PTFE is the generic name for Teflon, and has the lowest coefficient of friction of any known solid. So loading the grease up with that means that the PTFE embeds itself in the nooks and crannies of the splines and continues to keep things sliding when the grease goes away.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:34 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
damn wished the Platinum had those mirrors; and you've got my color LOL...

one dealer did find me a blue jean but it wasn't the fully loaded platinum; another dealer found me the fully loaded version but its white... can't wait... hate the chrome though.

Nice truck

Old 02-07-2016, 06:43 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Originally Posted by mynetdude
damn wished the Platinum had those mirrors; and you've got my color LOL...

one dealer did find me a blue jean but it wasn't the fully loaded platinum; another dealer found me the fully loaded version but its white... can't wait... hate the chrome though.

Nice truck
It is a platinum fx4 with tow mirrors added. Was on the lot like that.

It seems it didn't take long for the clunking to come back but it's barely there.

Maybe I do need different grease. Pulling the driveshaft is easy enough.

I couldn't find any greases that stated what was in them just what their applications were. If you can link me to something on Amazon I can just order it.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:47 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
Originally Posted by MikeDVB
It is a platinum fx4 with tow mirrors added. Was on the lot like that.

It seems it didn't take long for the clunking to come back but it's barely there.

Maybe I do need different grease. Pulling the driveshaft is easy enough.

I couldn't find any greases that stated what was in them just what their applications were. If you can link me to something on Amazon I can just order it.
why don't you just let the dealer do it? Its under warranty???

So the tow mirrors aren't standard? I'm thinking it doesn't have the tech package? (meaning no cams, no BLIS, etc?)

I kinda wished the cross traffic sensors picked up pedestrians but I read that it doesn't... pedestrians and vehicular cross traffic are the worst when it comes to backing out of a parking space.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:54 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
why don't you just let the dealer do it? Its under warranty???
Short version is I am tired of other people tearing up my stuff because they "have to fix it" since its warranty work.

So the tow mirrors aren't standard? I'm thinking it doesn't have the tech package? (meaning no cams, no BLIS, etc?)
It is a Platinum + FX4. It has all of the options including the double moon roof.

I kinda wished the cross traffic sensors picked up pedestrians but I read that it doesn't... pedestrians and vehicular cross traffic are the worst when it comes to backing out of a parking space.
The cams make backing into spots really easy so pulling out isn't hard. Plus the cams front and rear.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:55 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
PTFE grease will be here Tuesday. I'll pull the driveshaft and clean it out as best I can. Any recommendations on getting the old grease out or just get as much as I can?

Not worried about the splines on the transfer case just going to clean the driveshaft as best as I can.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Here's a thread about it here on FTE.

Ford Parts Giant has it, although it says "silicone". Searching Amazon gets
this this

Old 02-07-2016, 07:12 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Yeah I ordered that one off amazon. Will stop by the dealer tomorrow too and see what they have in stock.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Let us know, please. I cannot see the part # on the one on Amazon, and the Ford Parts Giant one has no pic and says silicone. So, I'm not sure of either.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:21 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
Originally Posted by MikeDVB
Short version is I am tired of other people tearing up my stuff because they "have to fix it" since its warranty work.

It is a Platinum + FX4. It has all of the options including the double moon roof.

The cams make backing into spots really easy so pulling out isn't hard. Plus the cams front and rear.
1. I understand; I'm not very mechanical so I'm at the mercy of the guys to fix it properly... and I don't want to know how to do it... I tried.. not going to happen... I like fixing PCs... that's enough!

2. So what's the diff between Platinum and Plat+FX4? Suspension? I didn't even know you could get a Plat+FX4? Or is the highest Platinum that there is already an FX4?

3. Good point about the cams... backing in sometimes pulling in is just a quicker way to do it I guess... but you're right the cams do make it a lot easier... never thought about that; although I sorta disagree that pulling out isn't hard (its not hard since you don't have to crane your head around) but if there's another vehicle blocking your view you still have to pull out carefully... there's no cross traffic sensors up front and nothing to alert you to approaching pedestrians not in your view YET.

I just bought a platinum literally before even the dealer has it; but it is their inventory; has the double moon roof, cams, BLIS, park assist, 4WD, etc...

Quick Reply: "Thud" in driveline on acceleration from a dead stop.