1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F5 Marmon-Herrington

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:58 PM
CaptPayne
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 40fordmarmon6x6
Sorry to bother but I can't seem to pm you for some reason. I am also interested in any marmon herrington info especially driveline related. What are these pdfs you speak of? Mine is a 1940 6x6 ex crash tender ford that I am putting back together. If you could send them to me i would greatly appreciate it. Chadptrs@gmail.com or rosscometals.com
Just my two cents but has anybody tried changing/making new gears for the transfer case?
Chad,
The PDF's I have are specifically for the R6-4 model. I lucked out when I called them as they have one restored in their showroom apparently that had most of the documentation. Give them a call and explain what you are after and they will help you as much as they can. Didn't seem like they had too much information on stuff from back then anymore. Really wish they still did some medium duty stuff, as I'd kill for front disc brakes on a newer axle.
BTW, nice to see another Canuck with odd old metal like this too. If I ever get back east again might have to pop by.
Cheers,

Mike

Old 02-18-2016, 05:12 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 1952henry
Perhaps Fred Mills will chime in with some specific options. For now, in a nut shell, a "Brownie" was an auxiliary transmission that was mounted aft of the main transmission giving you more gear options. Large ones gave you up to four extra gear choices. Perhaps you have heard of older trucks with 5x3 or 5x4 transmissions. That meant 5 speed main box and 4 speed brownie or auxiliary. They are kind of fun to drive, but a bit more involved than say an 18 speed.

Anyhow with Fred's knowledge on these, he could help you choose a brownie that you could mount between your transmission and transfer case that would provide overdrive. Some new gear box mounts and relocation of others, along with driveshaft modifications would be in order. Still probably cheaper than custom gears in an obsolete transfer case.

Nice find btw. Keep us posted, you have fellow M-H fans here.
I agree, an auxiliary transmission is likely a lot less expensive than paying for custom designed and manufactured gears for a very old transfer case. I will give more details over on the thread specific to this truck.