For sale, swap and wanted 48-56 Ford, Mercury trucks & parts. - Page 46 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Reload this Page >

For sale, swap and wanted 48-56 Ford, Mercury trucks & parts.

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

For sale, swap and wanted 48-56 Ford, Mercury trucks & parts.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:31 AM
fordman75
Postmaster
fordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to behold
I don't think you'll find anything like that stock. Besides the common finned aluminum covers you can see anywhere.
You have your choice between the plain covers.

"Power by Ford" script from the late 60's into the 70's.
earlier style:

Later style:

Or I think the late 70's into the 80's had covers that had a small Ford oval & script stamped in them.

Or the later 5.0L H.O. plain aluminum covers.

I think anything with the block lettering would be have to be a custom job. I have seen a few people adapt Y-block covers over the SBF ones for more of a vintage look.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:50 AM
Steve Harlow
Senior User
Steve Harlow is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the simple ford logo style covers on there. They'll do but it's not very period, and i can't stand the wannabe pony car era micky tompson shelby type stuff.

Was really hoping someone knew of someone doing something similar for the aftermarket, but I guess i'll be watching ebay and buying an adaptor plate, oh well. Thanks regardless.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:04 AM
Steve Harlow
Senior User
accidental double post, my bad

Old 11-28-2018, 08:11 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GLR View Post
Very interesting. A good link. You learn something every day. Thanks, 😄

Old 11-28-2018, 07:44 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steve Harlow View Post
Sorry, but i'm specifically looking for that particular minimalst "FORD" script style, or something similar. The covers i have on there are already almost exactly that repro set already. I'm trying trying to give the impression that my truck was a hot rod from the 60's where they took the hot new motor from the thunderbird or something and slapped it in. Plus i'm a sucker for that late 50's, early 60's design, it just fits so well.

Again, they also came in thunderbird and mercury versions, but i'm almost strictly hoping to find a Ford version for sale. I thought the odds were long, was just hoping someone might know of them being repro'd somewhere. I could get an original set with some cover adaptors but that'd be a little more down the line for how much that'd cost.
Sorry Steve, but it sounds like you're mistaken on what your engine would have had originally and the look you're asking about for your engine. The engine we now know as the 'small block Ford' was introduced in 1962 as a 221" engine for the newly created 1962 mid-sized Fairlane. That engine quickly grew to become by 1964 a 260 and 289, which was available in several different variations, including a factory 271 horse solid lifter cam hot rod engine which also found use in Falcons, and of course, Mustangs (not to mention the Mercury variants). The only valve covers used on the early engines were the examples I listed previously. Ford never made a name-stamped cover (Power by Ford) until 1968 for the small block engines. The look you say you want for a small block freshly pulled out of a Fairlane or Mustang never existed. The small block was never used in a Thunderbird, and was never the high performance option in a Galaxie. The FE valve covers are about twice the size as the 289 covers. You'd have to custom make an adapter, and it would look pretty goofy on there. This is what a hot 289 would have looked like in a Fairlane in 1963/4. Hope this helps.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:15 PM
pweng1
Posting Guru
pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Looking for a 48-50 bed and /or rear fenders. Cheap

Old 12-01-2018, 05:00 PM
Steve Harlow
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
Sorry Steve, but it sounds like you're mistaken on what your engine would have had originally and the look you're asking about for your engine. The engine we now know as the 'small block Ford' was introduced in 1962 as a 221" engine for the newly created 1962 mid-sized Fairlane. That engine quickly grew to become by 1964 a 260 and 289, which was available in several different variations, including a factory 271 horse solid lifter cam hot rod engine which also found use in Falcons, and of course, Mustangs (not to mention the Mercury variants). The only valve covers used on the early engines were the examples I listed previously. Ford never made a name-stamped cover (Power by Ford) until 1968 for the small block engines. The look you say you want for a small block freshly pulled out of a Fairlane or Mustang never existed. The small block was never used in a Thunderbird, and was never the high performance option in a Galaxie. The FE valve covers are about twice the size as the 289 covers. You'd have to custom make an adapter, and it would look pretty goofy on there. This is what a hot 289 would have looked like in a Fairlane in 1963/4. Hope this helps.

No i know, but that's why i want to make it look like the 'correct' motor and adapt FE covers to the 302. And if for no other reason, at least make it look aesthetically congruent with the rest of the truck. I'm a sucker for that minimalist/moderne era design, and having the late 80's valve covers in there is triflin'.

People have done it before. And while yeah, the far corners go off the ends of the head a little, i don't think it's really that noticeable. And hey, they've even put FE and Y block covers on LS's, let alone an SBF.

Originally Posted by abe View Post
In that last picture, what is that long thing between the air cleaner and valve cover?

And the owner of this engine has got to paint his air cleaner with a beautiful engine like that!
EFI Fuel/injector rail

Old 12-01-2018, 05:37 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
In that last picture, what is that long thing between the air cleaner and valve cover?

And the owner of this engine has got to paint his air cleaner with a beautiful engine like that!

Old 12-02-2018, 03:07 PM
rpaxton939
Senior User
rpaxton939 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ford 223 Engine, Clutch and Transmission For Sale

Great running 223 engine, clutch and transmission (Original 4-speed with Granny gear) from my 54 F-100 is for sale.
THIS ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION IS NOW SOLD

Last edited by rpaxton939; 12-16-2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Sold
Old 12-04-2018, 11:55 AM
fladoodle
Senior User
fladoodle has a good reputation on FTE.fladoodle has a good reputation on FTE.
Sorry I've got no pics right now, but I've got a few items that I could definitely get rid of lying around the shop. I can definitely get pictures of anything if there's any interest. All prices are negotiable.

1 barrel Holley 1904:
Has the metal bowl and bent ears due to being over-tightened at one point. Should be an easy fix. Was running on the truck, just leaked. $40 OBO as-is or $100 OBO with a fresh rebuild and fixed tabs.

Pair of F-6 Hood spears, not really sure what they're worth. Shoot me an offer. Slight dents on each of them, next picture is about as bad as it gets.

Detail of dents in hood spear

1955 F350 Wheels,
These are located about an hour and a half from me, so getting them won't be a this week sort of thing. But if I've got a few weeks warning I can make a trip out for them. Again, not really sure what they're worth so send me an offer. I'm slightly attached to them since they keep the truck a roller, but I know there's people here always looking for widowmaker replacements.

I'd also be looking to sell my 223 6 cylinder and 4 speed with granny 1st. Runs great, clutch replaced a few hundred miles ago, complete air cleaner to oil pan, with glass bowl carb and no cracks on intake/exhaust manifolds. $600 OBO for all of it.

Also have access to a friend with a junkyard with a handful of old ford trucks if you need anything else, just let me know.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:14 PM
Gwilkrrs
Posting Guru
Gwilkrrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gwilkrrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
51 f1 parts wanted

1951 f1
looking for =
radiator support
inner fenders
fender brackets/ supports

Old 12-20-2018, 09:09 PM
fire.ice07
Freshman User
fire.ice07 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Carburator for sale !!!

Had this carb on my 1949 F1 flathead six. I was given a new carb so now I have this one forsale $100 needs a carb kit. It's in very good shape. Carb is located in Donna, Tx 78537 buyer pays for shipping. Here's my number for a quick response call or txt 9562610797.Thanks

Old 12-24-2018, 08:43 AM
GJCAT
Senior User
GJCAT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wanted a 49-52 tailgate that the Ford script can be cut out of. I`m building a repo flatbed and would like to graft the script into the rear crossmember. Anyone got something I can work with?

Old 12-29-2018, 07:29 PM
ynot321AB1
New User
ynot321AB1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What parts are you looking for in regard to your 226 flathead? I have a 226 H model that I will be parting out soon. Am keeping the starter as it will fit the 239 I have put in my 50 F-1.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:35 PM
ynot321AB1
New User
ynot321AB1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What are you asking for the 226 carb?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For sale, swap and wanted 48-56 Ford, Mercury trucks & parts.

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.