For sale, swap and wanted 48-56 Ford, Mercury trucks & parts. - Page 25 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Reload this Page >

For sale, swap and wanted 48-56 Ford, Mercury trucks & parts.

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

For sale, swap and wanted 48-56 Ford, Mercury trucks & parts.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by clintonvillian View Post
SOLD............
Thanks!!!!!

Old 02-22-2018, 01:56 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by merten View Post
Quoted $150.00 and that is way more than it should be.
That's for sure! MidFifty sells theirs for $88.50.

I called my local glass shop and was surprised how much it was. It wasn't $150 but it was a lot more than $88. So I decided to keep my old back glass. It has the FoMoCo logo but is cloudy at the bottom. My body man says it gives the truck character.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:07 PM
merten
Elder User
merten has a very good reputation on FTE.merten has a very good reputation on FTE.merten has a very good reputation on FTE.merten has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by abe View Post
That's for sure! MidFifty sells theirs for $88.50.

I called my local glass shop and was surprised how much it was. It wasn't $150 but it was a lot more than $88. So I decided to keep my old back glass. It has the FoMoCo logo but is cloudy at the bottom. My body man says it gives the truck character.
That glass with character is kind of what I am looking for.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:16 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
That glass with character is kind of what I am looking for.
If you have no problem cutting your own glass and have a pattern you could likely get a piece of glass from a truck at a wreckers then cut your own...

Old 02-22-2018, 07:07 PM
merten
Elder User
merten has a very good reputation on FTE.merten has a very good reputation on FTE.merten has a very good reputation on FTE.merten has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 56panelford View Post
If you have no problem cutting your own glass and have a pattern you could likely get a piece of glass from a truck at a wreckers then cut your own...
I would be interested in that. I don't know anything about cutting auto glass but would sure give it a try.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:58 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
I would be interested in that. I don't know anything about cutting auto glass but would sure give it a try.
Do you have an old window for a pattern.? If not I can send you one..I still have the old scratched window I replaced..

Old 02-22-2018, 08:43 PM
merten
Elder User
Do you have an old window for a pattern.? If not I can send you one..I still have the old scratched window I replaced..
Thanks for the offer, I have my broken glass for a template. Do you know when auto makers stopped using the laminated glass that can be cut?

Old 02-22-2018, 08:51 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
Can't really give you an answer on that, I believe all the side and rear glass is tempered now. I'm not even sure what it would be like to cut tempered glass..

Old 02-22-2018, 08:54 PM
GLR
Posting Legend
GLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputation
Can't really give you an answer on that, I believe all the side and rear glass is tempered now. I'm not even sure what it would be like to cut tempered glass..
You don't cut it, John. It's tempered after being cut to size.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:58 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
What happens if you try and cut it..does it shatter..?

Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 PM
GLR
Posting Legend
GLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputation
Just like in the movies.

Laminate glass is a PITA to cut (as is old window glass) . I never tried it but, a glass guy told me that you have to score both sides, then "snap" it and use a utility knife to cut th plastic.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
I've seen laminate glass cut and like you say, scored on both sides but he poured lighter fluid on the score line after it was snapped and put a match to it...

Old 02-22-2018, 09:45 PM
GLR
Posting Legend
That might help seal the edges.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:50 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
I've seen laminate glass cut and like you say, scored on both sides but he poured lighter fluid on the score line after it was snapped and put a match to it...
I think I saw the same thing on YouTube.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:54 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
This was done at the one mine I worked at , the guy was good at cutting glass but he replaced a lot of the glass on all the equipment there..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For sale, swap and wanted 48-56 Ford, Mercury trucks & parts.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.