Sponsored by: DP Tuner

02 7.3 daily driver advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:52 AM
robkid
5th Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
02 7.3 daily driver advice

Hello, I'm starting a new job that I will have to commute around 120 miles daily. I have a 02 350 crew cab long bed with 220k and its in the shop right now getting the tranny rebuilt. My question is how can I make it a better commuter? improve mileage, wear and tear etc., or am I just running it into the ground and should buy a car asap? Fuel is not that big of an issue more worried about speeding her to early retirement.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:17 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I do exactly the same commute 5 days a week. It is 120 miles round trip, with 30% city and 70% highway.

I bought a 2002 Mercury Sable that looks like hell, but runs like a champ. I never wash it, except when it rains and just maintain it mechanically. I could not see driving my 7.3 that far, every week as a commuter vehicle. Of course, your needs and resources are probably different than mine.

Frankly, I don't care about the Mercury especially now since it has 215,000 miles on it. I could get someone that is not paying attention dent it up and I would not care one bit. The truck on the other hand, I take a lot of pride in my truck.

I guess what I am trying to say is if you can get a beater/commuter car then go for it. If not, then you need to make sure your truck is running top notch. I recently hand calculated 18.25 MPG's on the truck, but spent a pretty penny to get the turbo rebuilt, GH tuner, etc...

Keep us posted as to what you decide.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
This is a crazy-expensive commuter. It's not just the fuel... it's the 4 gallons of oil and a filter every 5 weeks, it's tires every two years, it's the waddya do if it's stubborn to start one morning, it's brake wear (you don't want a piece of those rear brakes). Yours is entering the terrible twos where ball joints, alternator, tie rod ends, sensors, Hutch mod, fuel pump, and a few other choice goodies are going to start messing with your mind.

I'm past the terrible twos, and I'm glad I always had a backup vehicle. I drive a Prius (alienating the diesel heads and the greenies simultaneously) when the weather/roads are good. When winter comes - that's when it's worth the expense to drive the truck on my 50-mile each way commute.

I'll say this - the truck is way more comfortable than that Prius.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:47 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Get the best rebuild on the trans you can. They are generally strong but if you add power it will be the weakest link. Transgo Tugger kit, billet torque converter, etc if funds allow. 6.0 trans cooler for sure to keep it cool. Not an issue when commuting, but just generally a good idea on these trucks. Like the Hutch and Harpoon mods, should be done to every one of these things IMO.

I agree with the above about the maintenance costs being higher than a typical car, but in terms of wearing out the truck, don't worry about it. The engine is designed for 500k miles, and plenty of members here have more than that. 60 miles one way will be up to temp and running efficiently, so that's good. Aside from the usual commute items like good street tires properly aired up and tight suspension, I like a decent stereo. Needs to be a little loud to hear it over the truck. I put a bed cover on mine and it seemed to help directional stability which contributes to relaxed driving. No measurable change in MPGs.

I would not look to any tunes to help with MPGs. Maybe more power without serious damage to mileage, that's doable.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:25 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at it this way. You're looking at 2400 miles per month. At 15mpg, and $2/gal, you're spending $320/month on fuel. If you went to a 35mpg car, you'd save $183/month. If both gas and diesel creep back up to $3/gal, you'd save $275/month. Tack on the costs of oil changes as well.

Last time I paid attention to a Toyota commercial, I think you could lease a new Corolla for less than $200/month (not sure if there was cash down required). Or buy an older smaller car. Either will require another insurance payment, but you're keeping more value in your truck, and wearing things out way, way slower.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:29 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
I'd add skinny tires on stock rims run at 65 lbs and take off the fashionable 08-up mirrors (maybe put on some paddle style small ones).
Put an egg under the throttle pedal and keep under 2000 rpm...

That being said, we still bought a 2001 Taurus to drive most days!

Old 02-02-2016, 08:24 PM
robkid
5th Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. The general consensus seems pretty clear. It confirms what I thought.

I did laugh when I read the put an egg under the throttle.

This is my first diesel, however a close friend has owned a powerstroke since 02 and gave me a lot of good advice, all constant with what I've read/revived here.

I'm stuck with just the truck for now and hopefully will have a car by late spring/ early summer.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:41 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Some thing I will never understand is why do people care if a 13+ year truck will loose value you bought the truck to be driven/worked (thats my case) I dont care for ware or tear, thats why you can restore them

As to the OP as most mentioned a car will be more suitable for your need, but if you plan on driving your truck just remember that like with any other vehicle keep it under 2000rpm for best mpg, keep maintnace in top of the list, and just enjoy your ride till you buy a commuter, thats if you dont mind the mpg your going to get with your truck, or maintnace costs

Old 02-03-2016, 12:06 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
To answer your original question - get the truck to 100% on maintenance and preventative maintenance and then keep it that way with regular loving. Do your own oil changes and make it a 1/2 day affair where you'll wash the engine and underside of the truck, check caliper slide pins, etc...

As far as fuel goes, you are a PERFECT candidate for a WVO conversion - if you have a little time for a new hobby. With a 2-tank veggie system, you'll start the truck on dead dinosaurs and drive a couple miles (about as far as it takes to feel heat from the HVAC) - then you switch to WVO and burn the nearly-free fuel all the way to work/home/far away vacation destination. Once there, you'll switch back to diesel and 'purge' all of the VO from the engine.

I have crisscrossed the country, often dragging my 12.5k lb home-away-from-home, putting well over 300k veggie smile-miles on my F350 and Excursion. In fact, the fuel savings paid for my Excursion lock, stock and barrel - as well as a lot of other things over the years.

I do have a couple of TDi's now as well and enjoy 50mpg and being nimble/quick when I don't need a truck. My TDi wagon runs on VO too!

After more than 10yrs burning the high cholesterol fuel, I say I can quit any time I want - but my friends don't believe me!

Here's a pic of one of the conversions I finished recently. This F250 got an Excursion fuel tank under the bed for VO:

This is a typical F650 dash in one of my systems with custom labeled switches for the VO system and fuel pressure/VO fuel level gauges.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:41 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
If you decide to go the lease route, be careful because there are mileage limits imposed on a lot of lease agreements.

Just buy a beater car for cheap that you can maintain and runs well and burn it up on the road. That is what I do with my 02 Mercury Sable which now has 214,000 miles. I don't care what it looks like or anything, it is a commuter car and is mechanically sound.

The truck losing value because of the mileage is not the concern. The concern is the long game here. I have done all of the math and when you factor in maintenance, tires, repairs, etc it just makes sense to use a smaller, lighter vehicle for your 600 mile a week commute. I do, it works great and when I get home the F250 is sitting in the driveway waiting for the next task I ask of it because being a commuter car is not one of them.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Everybody really needs to make this decision for themselves but my two cents is in line with most of those above. I believe that man has to have two vehicles...a truck and a commuter car. I think that we can all understand that, whether it's for you or not is another story. My commuter car is a used Corolla with low mileage (it was ten years old with 34,000 miles on it when I bought it). It is my second Corolla and is are the first and second cars that all I have to do is gas up, change oil, and drive. It killed me when I had to get it and add collision insurance on it. Good luck with whatever you choose. I would like to hear how you make out though.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:04 AM
Panhead George
New User
An f350 daily driver lasts longer than one that is driven every so often.

I have 220,000 miles on my 02 supercab dually 7.3 diesel. Seems to me that most performance problems with the diesel are with fuel pressure or flow.

It also helps to be mechanical and have access to a ford diesel mechanic that works on side jobs.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:53 PM
lightflyer
Senior User
My commuter is a 2003 New Beetle TDI diesel. I gets nearly 50 mpg on longer drives. Best commuter you can get is a VW TDI (older ones). Paid $1200 for it.