7.3L PIDs for 2016 - Torque Pro and others. - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

7.3L PIDs for 2016 - Torque Pro and others.

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7.3L PIDs for 2016 - Torque Pro and others.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Jaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to all
adding info as able to the tech folder (working to consolidate this thread into one good post) thanks for the info and pics!

I hope you guys don't mind me using some of the pics either! If you do let me know and I will remove them.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:42 PM
Colorado Horseman
Senior User
Colorado Horseman has a good reputation on FTE.Colorado Horseman has a good reputation on FTE.
Loaded both Car Gauge and Torque Pro with BAFX...

Both work in a limited sense, Car Gauge good only for buzz on 7.3 (haven't been brave enough to try CCT), interface buggy.

Torque is giving strange data for a few of the preloaded PIDs, will load Tugly's tomorrow and see if they seem more realistic.

Still, very likely to serve the purpose with a bit of tweaking.

Thanks to all who have contributed time to bring this to us!

Old 05-20-2016, 06:33 AM
JayTheCPA
Senior User
JayTheCPA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Horseman, welcome to FTE!

Tug, truly love how you have brought new life to the 7.3.

Question: when reading from the OBDII port, is anybody using a cable splitter? Specifically, a cable that turns the one OBDII port into two.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Jaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by JayTheCPA View Post
Horseman, welcome to FTE!

Tug, truly love how you have brought new life to the 7.3.

Question: when reading from the OBDII port, is anybody using a cable splitter? Specifically, a cable that turns the one OBDII port into two.
yes and no, yes I did, no not at the moment, I didn't notice any abnormal behaviors however I really don't need access to the OBD port and usually if there is a code I already have the monitoring system hooked up to pull codes onto my tablet and clear them as needed, I could see this as more useful for someone who runs torque like I do but also at the same time need to use Forscan...

Originally Posted by Colorado Horseman View Post
Loaded both Car Gauge and Torque Pro with BAFX...

Both work in a limited sense, Car Gauge good only for buzz on 7.3 (haven't been brave enough to try CCT), interface buggy.

Torque is giving strange data for a few of the preloaded PIDs, will load Tugly's tomorrow and see if they seem more realistic.

Still, very likely to serve the purpose with a bit of tweaking.

Thanks to all who have contributed time to bring this to us!
Horseman, before you do anything please click the link in my signature (below this part of the post) and read through the Torque pro FAQ that I wrote up, Tugly also assisted with parts of it, and I do need to get ahold of Tugly (Rich) for his preloaded PIDs so I can put them up for others to grab, it should help answer most common questions, and if you have any further we would love for you to post them there (were working to consolidate all Torque info to that FAQ for the tech folder)

Old 05-21-2016, 07:48 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
First - thank you for the kind words and vote of confidence. I have been distracted by many things, but the eye of the hurricane has approached for this weekend only. I have engine stuff to contend with, but I'll see if I can sneak into the cab of the truck and grab the tablet. Maybe I can find the time to finally export my settings in a file.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
First - thank you for the kind words and vote of confidence. I have been distracted by many things, but the eye of the hurricane has approached for this weekend only. I have engine stuff to contend with, but I'll see if I can sneak into the cab of the truck and grab the tablet. Maybe I can find the time to finally export my settings in a file.
Sounds good bud, be safe out there!

Old 05-21-2016, 11:36 PM
Colorado Horseman
Senior User
Colorado Horseman has a good reputation on FTE.Colorado Horseman has a good reputation on FTE.
Couple of things I noticed...

Buzz injectors on Car Gauge Pro will inject fuel into cylinders if there is any residual pressure in the fuel rail, even with KOEO.

Be sure to exit the app, turn key off and remove, remove OBD2 adapter. Then you may start engine, but expect to be over fueled and belch some smoke!

Considering the buggyness of CGPro, particularly when running self tests - but also with the gauge monitoring being practically useless, I think it has very little usefulness.

YMMV, but you must be sharper or more patient than I!

Old 05-22-2016, 12:13 AM
Colorado Horseman
Senior User
On my 2002 F-350 7.3 the barometer is internal to the PCM. I have accessed this sensor from Torque with the equation BARO() and it returns the correct relative barometric pressure (not the absolute pressure).

This while MAP in the included Torque PIDs, equation (((A*256)+B)*0.03625) returns what appears to be very close to the absolute pressure expected for this altitude.

I wonder what will be returned if I try to access MAP with the equation MAP()?

BTW - Can anyone explain to me the oft used ((A*256)+B)?

Old 05-22-2016, 05:29 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Pikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud ofPikachu has much to be proud of
BARO() reads the baro sensor in the Android device, not the baro sensor in the vehicle.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:50 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Another drawback to BARO (): If your device doesn't have a barometric sensor (many don't), then all you get is sea level pressure subtracted from your MAP reading. This makes your boost readings downright anemic-looking at higher altitudes. This is not a theory - I've done it. That's what prompted me to change the formula on EGP (Exhuast Gauge Pressure) to give me a true backpressure reading above atmosphere.

I have since abandoned worrying about actual backpressure - I'm more concerned with Turbo Pressure Differential between boost and backpressure. That is a much more fascinating gauge for anybody with a stock turbo - you'll see that number spike pretty good with a chip and air mods.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:39 PM
Colorado Horseman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
...I have since abandoned worrying about actual backpressure - I'm more concerned with Exhaust Pressure Differential between boost and backpressure. That is a much more fascinating gauge for anybody with a stock turbo - you'll see that number spike pretty good with a chip and air mods.
Makes sense!

Here is a screenshot of my KOEO -

Notice the half pound difference? I'm not sure what that is, but no big deal really. Also the trans fluid temp (Manual Trans) seems to be displaying C rather than F.

Made an unloaded run today with some hard accel onramp. No load or grades, here are the MAX from the log...

Will try a run with my 4 horse to compare soon.

Last edited by Colorado Horseman; 05-22-2016 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Table Fail!
Old 05-23-2016, 09:26 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Torque Pro has a setting for metric or imperial - you can fix the degrees C problem in the app settings.

15 PSI is a little high for what looks to be a stock tune at WOT. Was it cold when you started? A cold engine (below a certain temperature) will activate the EBPV in idle, and that gives 15 PSI - that could be when your max occurred.

.5 PSI differential at KOEO could be nothing to worry about, but this is one of the very few times when EBP, MAP, and BARO on the screen can tell you how the sensors behave at rest. If you consistently get a 15 PSI TDP on a stock tune, this calls for logging the data and having a good look as to why - that's a little too much.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Colorado Horseman
Senior User
Engine was warm both for KOEO and the test run. From the log the TPD 15psi occurred during hard accel from 35mph to 75mph with gear shifting (manual trans).

TPD at idle on the same log ranges 0.9 to 1.12 or barely above KOEO.

But yes, when boost kicks in I can feel it in the seat of my pants!

As for the trans temp, I have been using Torque method 1, will try your PID which has a different equation.

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Colorado Horseman
Senior User
BTW - I have 180k on this truck with original injectors and cat. The #8 is a little weak on cold buzz but smooths out with EOT above 100F.

Probably time to save for injectors, and check for exhaust restrictions.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:27 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Maybe we're just seeng a spool-up delay. Max PSI for the EBP sensor is about 53 PSI absolute - 10 PSI above your MAP max reading. The MAP sensor "clips" at about 48-50 PSI - sensor max.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7.3L PIDs for 2016 - Torque Pro and others.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.