Engine Rebuild Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 08:34 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,779 Posts
Do you have a gasket between cover & spacer and a 2nd gasket between spacer and head?
If it still will not work with the first gasket then what is the big deal to grind off the lip?
Dave ----

Old 08-19-2017, 09:59 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
2 gaskets glued together???

Old 08-19-2017, 10:41 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Do you have a gasket between cover & spacer and a 2nd gasket between spacer and head?
If it still will not work with the first gasket then what is the big deal to grind off the lip?
Dave ----
The gasket between the spacer and the head shouldn't be an issue, it's the one between the spacer and the cover. The cork gasket (which is about all that's available for the older style) isn't all that thick. As it is, it barely extends to the bottom of the lip.

The biggest issue I can see with grinding off the lip is that the lip gives it rigidity. Without it, it would really weaken it and it would flex and bend when tightened down.

Originally Posted by The Frenchtown Flyer
2 gaskets glued together???
That's my thought, but wasn't that the reason for the spacer so you don't have to glue gaskets together to get enough height for the roller rockers?

Otherwise, I suppose I could use a lot of RTV and be sure it seals nicely before installing.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:18 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would like to know what he used as a template also. I was interested in that spacer for when I do my build. I know you'll let us know what he says -

Old 08-20-2017, 03:48 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
This is interesting. I know the blocks are different with motor mounts, not universal as some claim. This makes me wonder about head differences.

There are 3 heads that I know of: early stud mount rocker type, then in about 85, when Ford changed the valve length, they changed to the ped. type rockers, and of course the efi head.

Is there a diff. with the valve covers of each style head? (Not according to RockAuto--same part no. I checked 77 and 86, Felpro.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:59 AM
AbandonedBronco
I've had four 300s, a 78, 81, 84, and an 86 and there is no difference in how they're shaped. The only difference in the heads is that in '84 they switched to a smaller bolt for the valve cover bolts since they started using a silicone gasket. Other than that, there's no difference.

So yeah, I'm very curious where the template came from.

Now, an '84+ valve cover would work just fine with it since the valve cover lip curves upward instead of downward, so there'd be no issue.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:09 PM
AbandonedBronco
So, this weekend I went out and decided to see what I could do with the rockers.

I really want to kick myself because after weeks of looking over different types of rockers from different engines, manufacturers, etc, I had to keep in mind I was looking for rockers that would fit a 3/8" stud (not the 7/16" that is much more common.) I specifically avoided certain brands because they only sold a 7/16" and I didn't want to swap my studs out too.

So, when I finally ordered the Harland Sharp rockers, what did I do? I ordered 7/16" stud rockers!! When I realized this, I was so put out I just laid down in the garage and stared at the ceiling for a good 5 minutes. What the heck was I thinking?

Either way, they're on their way back to Summit, and the correct ones should be here soon.

But still, I had them in hand, so I had to check them out. The first thing I noticed is that they're very very close to the shape of the original rocker arm. Also, the roller lined smack dab up with the center of the valve stem, so I'm thinking I'm going to get away with the same push rods I currently have. Since the nut was too big, I couldn't tighten them down and roll the engine over, but I could set them in place and check some basic geometry.

Now, another thing I noticed is that not only are the similarly sized to the stock rockers, they're almost identical. Granted, since I can't tighten them down, I can't check clearances when they rock, but I am honestly thinking I do not need a spacer to make more room for them. It's almost like Harland Sharp, when designing these rockers for the 300, took the room available into account.

This is without the spacer in place:

I won't know until I get the proper set in hand and can tighten them down, but Harland Sharp rockers just might fit under a stock valve cover.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:01 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos and I hope this eliminates the illusive squeak!

Old 08-25-2017, 12:51 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Hopefully you did not soak them in oil before you noticed they were the wrong size. I'm sorry about the mix up. You were just excited to get them. They sure look nice sitting there, don't they? See what I meant when I said it was painful to cover them with a v.cover? I'm sure the r.r.'s will eliminate the squeak.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:56 PM
AbandonedBronco
I may have, but I cleaned them really well.

That's my thought, I looked up the part number on google and the Summit add came up. S4002 is the 3/8" ones and S4002-7 is the 7/16" ones. I probably didn't notice that the link was "-7"

Oh well, soon enough.

And yeah, they're sharp looking! I need a clear valve cover.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:32 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
... Harland Sharp rockers just might fit under a stock valve cover.
You will probably have to grind off the corners of the ones that are nearest to the indentations for the hold-down bolts.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:03 AM
nhford300
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Great Write up and job on the rebuild. I learned lots and really appreciate the sharing of all involved with the rebuild.

Glad to read that your wife is doing better. a blessing for sure !!!

As far as the valve cover spacer why not make one... 1/4 or 5/16 aluminum plate stock ( scrap yard ). trace out valve cover outside as template then use the gasket to trace the inside out. drill the holes first the get a jig saw and cut it out. finish it up with a dremel tool or file by hand.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:04 PM
nhford300
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI for next time you have to order a remflex gasket . There is a guy on ebay that sells them $43 with shipping Give or take a buck. In a long USPS priority box. never folded or kinked.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:13 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
I was surprised to see in that photo that you're running the DUI again. Did you determine what the issue was?

If I get any oily r.rockers from Summit, I'm blaming you. Ha ha.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:09 PM
AbandonedBronco
Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

My return got there yesterday and my new set of rockers have been sent out. They'll be here next Wednesday. I checked the part number and it was the right one.

I put the DUI back on about a week or two after the engine was installed. The issue turned out to be a bad brand new spark plug. I initially swapped everything ignition related out. Spark plugs from the old engine, the DuraSpark setup I keep in backup, wires, etc. and it ran great. So, then I slowly swapped parts back until I narrowed down the issue.

Some parts guy behind the counter must've dropped one of the plugs or something.

Well, if you get oily rockers from Summit, then half the work's done for you!

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild Part 2