Engine Rebuild Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 12:37 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rockers en route. PM sent.

One thought I had. What about oil deflectors? One thing I noticed when I was running the engine with the valve cover off is how often the oil would shoot over the rocker, even at idle. Yeah, the rockers are full of oil, but maybe it's not enough?

Something like these?

interesting thought on the deflectors. they look like a fomoco product rather than an "off-the-shelf" part from summit or jegs. Anyone have a part # for these by chance?
Sorry for the hijack.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:42 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Thank you, much appreciated. I'll keep an eye out for them, swap them in, and report back. These grooved rocker arm ***** took about a week and a half before the squeaked, so I won't know right away. But, I'll definitely keep you posted.

As for the oil deflectors, they're worth a try. However, it's interesting that I see them on quite a few pictures of rocker arms (looking stock) but whenever I look them up on parts sites, they're listed as being used to deflect oil while you're adjusting your rockers with the engine running, and keeping the oil from splattering all over. Not necessarily a permanent thing.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:43 PM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by Black Ford XLT
AB , cool do you plan on dynoing. it in the future? TR
Oh definitely. I want to wait until I get the squeaking sound dealt with and the carb tuned in, but then yes. I'm really curious.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:08 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Any new developments? Like everyone else, i'll be using this memorial day weekend to kick back quite a bit...but also to tend to my truck as well. Hopefully you'll get a chance to do the same.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:11 PM
AbandonedBronco
So.....

Things have slowed down.

My wife and I had a bomb dropped on us when she was diagnosed with cancer two weeks ago. Lots and lots of doctors appointments and very little of anything else.

It's been crazy, and I'm pretty overwhelmed at the moment.

Fortunately, we think we caught it early, so it's just going to be a few months of treatment. But, yeah... Thoughts and prayers are gladly welcome.

As for the engine, I installed the rocker arms you sent me, Dude, and have just been putting some miles on them to see if they start squeaking. There were 3 of the 12 that I didn't want to put on due to excessive wear, so I put 3 of my originals on.

When I had all 12 of them on there, there was no chirping at all, When I took those 3 off and 3 of mine on, there was some chirping right away.

I'll probably pull the valve cover this weekend and have another listen. Hopefully, the chirping is still only coming from my original 3, and not some of the "new" ones. If so, then I think I just got some bad rocker arms and I'll buy all new ones. If some of the OEM Ford ones are chirping, then I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do next.

Otherwise, the engine is driving really nice and has been a lot of fun. It has great power, and the more I get the carb dialed in, the low RPM power just gets better and better. I'm happy with it.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:20 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
So.....

Things have slowed down.

My wife and I had a bomb dropped on us when she was diagnosed with cancer two weeks ago. Lots and lots of doctors appointments and very little of anything else.

It's been crazy, and I'm pretty overwhelmed at the moment.

Fortunately, we think we caught it early, so it's just going to be a few months of treatment. But, yeah... Thoughts and prayers are gladly welcome.
You and your wife will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:41 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Me too. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:31 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
We'll be pulling for you and the wife over here in MT as well.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:58 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Best to your wife and you during this time.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:17 PM
AbandonedBronco
Thank you everyone, I appreciate it. Can use all the support we can at the moment. It's.... insane.

On the Bronco, my test looks to be a success. I pulled the valve cover this morning and ran it. The stethoscope was great at finding which were squeaking. It was over the top obvious since off they weren't, there was just a healthy little tick. If they were, the sound was almost painful in my ears it was so shrill.

Well, the only 3 that were squeaking were the three from the set I bought. The OEM ones were nice and quiet. TheDudeAbides, thank you so much for those.

So, I think I just got some bad rockers. I swapped them out until I found three that didn't make any noise, so it's nice and quiet now! I'll still still get new rockers since these have high miles on them and I don't want the worn tips hurting my valve stems, but at least I know what it is.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:37 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
I know your glad to solve that pesky problem, Sorry to hear about your wife,prayers to you and your family my friend ,Cancer sucks ,keep us updated.TR

Old 05-27-2017, 10:34 PM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about wife. Sending prayers your way! Just remember God is great!

Old 05-28-2017, 01:37 PM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by Black Ford XLT
I know your glad to solve that pesky problem, Sorry to hear about your wife,prayers to you and your family my friend ,Cancer sucks ,keep us updated.TR
It's been a pain, for sure. I want to hear my nice new engine, and instead I have a family of mechanical crickets making it sound like a mix between a belt squeal and someone sharpening knives under the hood.

And yes it does, this is not someone either of us expected to be dealing with. I'll be sure to update.

Originally Posted by fordboy300
Sorry to hear about wife. Sending prayers your way! Just remember God is great!
That He is, my friend.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:17 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Another addition to your conundrum with the rockers...the head in my truck is a later pedestal mount head. I swapped the cam, timing gears, pushrods and put all new rockers, pivots and hold-down bolts into it early this spring. Recently developed a lot of valvetrain noise...no crickets on steroids...but it wasnt the normal clack of a 300. i swapped back to the originals that were in it prior to the cam swap. All is right in the world, and the rocker noise is no longer offensive now. Strange coincidence.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:29 AM
AbandonedBronco
I'm curious what makes a good rocker arm from a bad one when you can't visibly see the difference. Maybe the curvature of the socket isn't perfectly round? Different metals that aren't hard enough? Dunno.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a set of Comp rocker arms. With the way things are going right now, the cost of roller rockers was just too much at the moment. They seem to be really nice quality. Also, the slot, as advertised, was a bit longer. Not a crazy amount, but noticeable. Comp on left. Ford OEM on right:

Name:  2017-06-04%2011.52.24.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  148.7 KB

I installed them yesterday and had instant relief from the squeaking and chirping. Still a bit of "diesel" clack, but I don't mind it. On a mechanical level, I am really curious where it comes from though. Is it the valve making contact with the head again?

Either way, only time will tell if these will work. The original ones I had didn't start chirping until there were about 100 miles on them. Hopefully not! (If so, I'll send them back to Summit). But if they work, money well spent. I'll keep you all posted.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild Part 2