Sponsored by:

brakes/steering, excursion vs f350

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 10:23 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brakes/steering, excursion vs f350

so, given both trucks are stock (my excursion is an 01 v10 4x4, and my f350 is an 04 6.0L 4x4 CC dually long bed), what are the differences in the steering/braking components? i think someone told me once that the steering is different on the 2 trucks, but not sure about brakes. i've driven other excursions, but never really driven other dually or Super duty trucks at all other than mine. the steering on my dually is WAY harder to steer. i mean it requires A LOT more effort than the excursion does. the excursion is 10x easier to just relax while driving, the dually just requires so much more effort. i still love the truck, but damn, comparing the 2, sometimes ill take the excursion if i'm tired because i don't feel like steering the thing! now braking, the dually brakes way easier than my excursion. my dads excursion is the same way as my excursion, it seems like when you brake, the dash shakes a lot. the faster you were going (harder you use the brakes), the more it shakes/vibrates. my f350 brakes seem way more...whats the word...i guess...sturdy? can't think of the word, but it stops a lot better.

just looking for some comparisons from guys that own/have driven both trucks.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:15 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Having driven a similar f350 dually a fair bit it sounds like you may want to have the steering looked at. Ours drove fine. Even Towing a 40' trailer the steering was akin to autopilot. Not what I would classify as hard.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:52 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I think what's going on is that you have a problem with the power steering in your F-350, and a problem with the brakes on your Excursion.

My truck brakes and steers without issue.

Is the shaking due to warped rotors or do you have cheap pads? I switched to EBC yellow stuff pads and Napa premium rotors and I have strong, smooth brakes now. It really made a big difference.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:17 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
I agree with Andy on the braking as well. something, likely the rotors are shot. Your dash should not be shaking when you brake.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:03 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
hmm...ill have to get a video of my excursion when braking hard. my dads has done it since he's had it also, which is nearly since new (1 year old) as long as i can remember. his is always loaded down with tools though, mine is empty. they sorta just shake when braking hard, and since his does it, i figured it was normal. i will take a video.

pirate, you have an excursion right? comparing the 2, the steering, i guess the word would be..."tension" or resistance, felt the same? they def don't comparing my excursion or my dads excursion, to my 04 f350. while driving around, if i see a similar dually truck at a dealer for sale, i will stop in and test drive it. ill just tell them i want a second one. LOL

Old 02-02-2016, 09:05 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by andym
I think what's going on is that you have a problem with the power steering in your F-350, and a problem with the brakes on your Excursion.

My truck brakes and steers without issue.

Is the shaking due to warped rotors or do you have cheap pads? I switched to EBC yellow stuff pads and Napa premium rotors and I have strong, smooth brakes now. It really made a big difference.
well my excursion and my dads excursion steers fine. the f350 steers fine, it doesn't feel like the power steering is broken, but there's just a lot more resistance in the steering on the dually, vs our excursions. as far as i know the brakes aren't bad, the rotors are fine. and for it to do it on 2 trucks i just figured it was normal.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:55 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ufvj217
as far as i know the brakes aren't bad, the rotors are fine. .
It may not be the brakes but it is affecting your braking and needs to be corrected.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:56 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
well my excursion and my dads excursion steers fine. the f350 steers fine, it doesn't feel like the power steering is broken
If these statements are all true, then I don't understand how the following:

but there's just a lot more resistance in the steering on the dually, vs our excursions.
Can also be true.

as far as i know the brakes aren't bad, the rotors are fine. and for it to do it on 2 trucks i just figured it was normal.
It's a common problem with cheap aftermarket brake parts, which is why you have it on both trucks. What do you mean by "the rotors are fine"? Have you had their thickness measured with a micrometer? Have you had the runout checked? Have you determined if the vibration coming from warped rotors or cementite deposits on the surface of the rotors, which generally comes from using cheap pads?

Here is a very good article that explains the issue in detail: -Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

And here's a good summary:

Originally Posted by Craig64
Interesting article, but the guy sure seems to go out of his way to make the concept complicated.

My interpretation:

- rotors don't warp, they just have their thickness affected by built-up (sometimes invisible) pad material - which has the same effect as warping

- rotors can be permanently altered (via cementite) by excessive heat - which again has the same effect as warping

Bottom line: rotors have a bunch of crud build up on them that makes them seem like they're warped.

I'll try the garnet paper idea. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:37 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
If you thought the dash shaking while braking was " normal" then why did you bring it up here?
Invest in some good quality brake parts and fix the problem, the shaking dash is the classic sign of rotors being out of true, either warped, loaded with deposits or damaged in some other way. No vehicle should shake under hard barking.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:15 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by andym
If these statements are all true, then I don't understand how the following:

Can also be true.

It's a common problem with cheap aftermarket brake parts, which is why you have it on both trucks. What do you mean by "the rotors are fine"? Have you had their thickness measured with a micrometer? Have you had the runout checked? Have you determined if the vibration coming from warped rotors or cementite deposits on the surface of the rotors, which generally comes from using cheap pads?

Here is a very good article that explains the issue in detail: -Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

And here's a good summary:
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
If you thought the dash shaking while braking was " normal" then why did you bring it up here?
Invest in some good quality brake parts and fix the problem, the shaking dash is the classic sign of rotors being out of true, either warped, loaded with deposits or damaged in some other way. No vehicle should shake under hard barking.
haven't had the rotors checked because i actually don't drive it much. it stops, don't get me wrong, but now after driving my new to me SD, being so used to excursions, i can feel how different they are. and i know they aren't the same, maybe it's just the suspension difference? the excursion is alot bouncier...more of a soft ride, compared to the SD. and i know its not just our 2, i've been in other stock excursions, i think that is why a lot of guys swap the springs out with B .. X..whatever codes, from SD trucks. my dually has a way stiffer ride, but overall it just feels more sturdy. idk, when i have some extra cash i will check the brakes out. it very well could be the aftermarket pads on both excursions. but again, i recall my dads driving that way when it was nearly brand new...like i said, maybe its just the difference in the 2 factory suspension setups on the ex vs the SD, the ex being (IMO) more geared towards road trips and a comforting ride, than the SD. stock for stock, i'd rather go on a long trip in my excursion rather than my SD (even if my SD was an SUV just as big) just comparing the 2 suspensions, the SD you feel every little bump, its just very stiff. my dad even commented the other day he doesn't like how my truck rides, because he's used to his excursion for 10+ years i guess. lol.

on the statement in the very top of your post about the steering. i see how it looks like i contradicted myself by saying it doesn't feel broken. but what i mean is, i've felt a truck, hell even a small car, with the power steering completely broken. it's nothing like that, all i'm saying is comparing the excursions to my f350, it feels like theres a stronger resistance on my dually, be it steering in place, moving, pavement, dirt, etc. testing both trucks in the same situation...yea.

maybe this will put things into perspective. if i put my f350 in 4lo, and drive in my back yard, and drive my excursion on the same terrain, but in 2wd, when the dually is in 4lo, it makes it a lot easier to turn the steering wheel (obviously) but my point is, in 4lo, its more comparable to the excursion in 2wd. i could have sworn i made a thread or a post somewhere once when i first got my dually 4ish months ago, and someone said the steering box/components/something was different on the 2 trucks.

i guess the only way to really find out if this is just how it is and im just a weakling, is to go find a similar SD truck and test drive 1, 2, maybe 3 trucks, and compare them to mine. i understand its a super heavy truck, maybe the diesel vs v10 motor (not sure the weight difference)???

at the end of the day, the world isn't going to end, just trying to figure out what's what.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:33 PM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is not normal for any well sorted vehicle to shake while stopping. Period. There is something wrong, and it could involve ball joints, brake rotors, slide pins, or a number of different issues. Tire size / style could be the steering feel difference, but so could ball joints.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:12 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
so the brakes issue is understandable, ill check that out.

the steering, you guys are saying should feel the same on a V10 excursion and an f350 dually PSD?

Old 02-02-2016, 09:31 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
They should be similar yes. Same steering parts other then the dually hubs,

Old 02-02-2016, 09:58 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To answer the original al question...doesn't the f350 have hydroboost? I know the v10 excursion does not.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:46 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
To answer the original al question...doesn't the f350 have hydroboost? I know the v10 excursion does not.
ive read a little about hydroboost, i thought all superduties had it including excursions. if not, and my f350 has it, maybe that's one of the reasons?

Quick Reply: brakes/steering, excursion vs f350