1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Again!?! Another broken tie rod end... stranded

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 02:11 AM
Collision
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Again!?! Another broken tie rod end... stranded

The 3rd time ive been stranded by my ford's this year, this is getting old. Once again, a broken passenger side tie rod end, sheared straight off, again. Literally, on a paved road, just snapped. Is it me or the trucks? This truck has never been used off road, never a plow truck and on a perfectly smooth section of road... very disappointed. AAA took 3 hours to get me a truck, which is like pouring salt in the wounds. Here is what happened to my v10 when it snapped and what it looked like, the rod went through the tire. Luckily it didn't do it this time.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:18 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Either you have really bad luck, or something on the truck is causing abnormal stress on the tie rod to cause it to break three times in one year.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:16 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by seville009
Either you have really bad luck, or something on the truck is causing abnormal stress on the tie rod to cause it to break three times in one year.
I agree with seville009 something definitely isn't right, in either there is a bigger problem at play causing these to shear off or this is a really inferior part ( Dorman maybe? ) I would ask what part manufacturer this tie rod was that was put on.

Di you you install this or was it a shop that installed it? Is it an OEM or aftermarket part? How long ago was the repair done ( just curious as to if it had been in service a long time or if this was installed not long ago ) One thing is for sure if this is an aftermarket part, I would not use the same brand one again, I would go to something different if it is determined to be just a failure of the part, but whoever did this need to investigate if there is a bigger issue at play as Seville 009 suggested.

Let us know what you find out and sucks when your left on the side of the road, hopefully you had triple AAA or something to cover the towing

Old 12-05-2017, 06:11 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
What Brand of Tie-Rod ?

that part is NOT a weight supporting part..

side load.. curb banging.. deep chuckholes.

NOT common..

even Rare 3 in a year..

Old 12-05-2017, 06:49 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
How tight are you torquing everything to? Is the knuckle deformed in anyway? Like others have said you either have very inferior parts or something else going on. One is rare let alone three in one year.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:04 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure your front end parts are correct? Somethings obviously not right. Look for something bent or distorted. What brand of parts are you using?

Old 12-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Collision
Senior User
To clarify, Ive only broken two tie rod ends, but my ford's have stranded me 3 times, Im busy right now, Ill type up my rant later about parts.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Collision
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
What Brand of Tie-Rod ?

that part is NOT a weight supporting part..

side load.. curb banging.. deep chuckholes.

NOT common..

even Rare 3 in a year..
my v10 had 190,000 ish miles when it snapped on motor craft tie rod ends with about 70k miles on them. Never hit a curb, no curb rash on the wheels, i always avoid potholes and go slow over speed bumps.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Collision
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pocketlint
I agree with seville009 something definitely isn't right, in either there is a bigger problem at play causing these to shear off or this is a really inferior part ( Dorman maybe? ) I would ask what part manufacturer this tie rod was that was put on.

Di you you install this or was it a shop that installed it? Is it an OEM or aftermarket part? How long ago was the repair done ( just curious as to if it had been in service a long time or if this was installed not long ago ) One thing is for sure if this is an aftermarket part, I would not use the same brand one again, I would go to something different if it is determined to be just a failure of the part, but whoever did this need to investigate if there is a bigger issue at play as Seville 009 suggested.

Let us know what you find out and sucks when your left on the side of the road, hopefully you had triple AAA or something to cover the towing
well, this is on 2 different trucks that this has happened now. Both times motorcraft parts, which just passed inspection, boot wasnt even ripped. Last night on the seven tree, i was leaning my grand mothers house, and all the sudden, i heard a loud bam, and I quickly stopped. I got out and saw the same thing happened, luckily i was doing only 1-2 mph. So i was stuck middld of the road for a very long time. For the record, I didnt install them, they are factory on the 7.3

Old 12-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Lawnpro979
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Collision
well, this is on 2 different trucks that this has happened now. Both times motorcraft parts, which just passed inspection, boot wasnt even ripped. Last night on the seven tree, i was leaning my grand mothers house, and all the sudden, i heard a loud bam, and I quickly stopped. I got out and saw the same thing happened, luckily i was doing only 1-2 mph. So i was stuck middld of the road for a very long time. For the record, I didnt install them, they are factory on the 7.3

just. My 2cents worth...I think i would write a nice little letter/email to Ford.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:47 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
If it’s only happened twice and on two different trucks, one of which has alot of miles, then I would think it’s not really abnormal. Just normal wear and tear. I would just fix it and move on. Had a starter die on me this week - 63,000 miles - stuff happens.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Collision
Senior User
Has anyone else heard of this happening in a non offroad environment? Or had it happen to them?

Old 12-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
if its one off.. sure... its a part made by a man an a machine...

I have replaced tons.. on cars and trucks.. over 50 years... maybe a 1,000, no joke.

in the 1970's you were lucky to get a tie-rod end last 3 years or 40,000 miles....
just like Brakes, tires, wheel bearings, water pumps, almost every part needs replacement.. at some point.

OLD Guys.. remember tune-up every 12,000 miles with Points..... ! and I am 66 years old.... so I am not talking 1900.

back in the day.. you were lucky to get a NEW truck to last 100,000 miles.. Gas or diesel...

Old 12-05-2017, 02:38 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Collision
Has anyone else heard of this happening in a non offroad environment? Or had it happen to them?
i had it happen to me with a 99 Expedition back around 2004. Turned into my driveway and suddenly my steering wheel was free wheeling.....was leaving for a family road trip vacation the next day too.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:24 PM
SnowPlowDriver
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
if its one off.. sure... its a part made by a man an a machine...

I have replaced tons.. on cars and trucks.. over 50 years... maybe a 1,000, no joke.

in the 1970's you were lucky to get a tie-rod end last 3 years or 40,000 miles....
just like Brakes, tires, wheel bearings, water pumps, almost every part needs replacement.. at some point.

OLD Guys.. remember tune-up every 12,000 miles with Points..... ! and I am 66 years old.... so I am not talking 1900.

back in the day.. you were lucky to get a NEW truck to last 100,000 miles.. Gas or diesel...
Points, the dealer here has a sign "get your points". It is a promotion where you get points with each purchase to get a discount on service. I asked him if you also get a condenser with your points and I am not sure he knew what a condenser was.

Quick Reply: Again!?! Another broken tie rod end... stranded