1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Replaced IPR now long crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 02:07 PM
Idaho Hillbilly
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced IPR now long crank

Hi all, been looking at this truck for a while now. It is a 1994.5 and has been having random stall/no restart problems. Sometimes it would die and immediately restart, other times it would take a while and then restart (10 minutes or so). I did finally get it to give me a p0340 for the CPS. I replaced that and it was OK for a week or two and then died again. This time it had a p1212 and the p0340 in it. I tried swapping the CPS from my personal truck and still wouldn't start (would not start with ICP unplugged either). After sitting about 10 minutes, it started again. Figured I'd shotgun an IPR at it just because and now I'm getting a long crank... I figured it was air at first but I've driven it quite a bit today and its still cranking about 5-6 seconds. Any thoughts?

On a side note, i believe this truck is suppose to have an IPR with the "edge filter". I could not find one locally so I installed one without. I'm not sure what the function of that filter is... could that be my problem?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2016, 07:22 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
It is still air. I rebuilt my IPR 4 days ago and after 4 days of daily driving, the cranking times are just now getting down to about 5-6 seconds.

My 94 is supposed to have an edge filter as well. It doesn't, and it's worked for a long time.

Is your oil level good? Bad or low oil can cause a long crank. Also check the small plugs on top of each head, check the fittings at each end of both lines, and check the large allen-head plugs at each end of each head. You won't be able to see the large allen-head plugs at the rear of the heads without a mirror, but you can feel them, so run your finger around their perimeters to check for oil.

All else fails, it could be injector O-rings. Take the lid off of the fuel bowl and see if there is oil floating or black residue on the filter.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Idaho Hillbilly
Freshman User
Originally Posted by lemonshindig
It is still air. I rebuilt my IPR 4 days ago and after 4 days of daily driving, the cranking times are just now getting down to about 5-6 seconds.

My 94 is supposed to have an edge filter as well. It doesn't, and it's worked for a long time.

Is your oil level good? Bad or low oil can cause a long crank. Also check the small plugs on top of each head, check the fittings at each end of both lines, and check the large allen-head plugs at each end of each head. You won't be able to see the large allen-head plugs at the rear of the heads without a mirror, but you can feel them, so run your finger around their perimeters to check for oil.

All else fails, it could be injector O-rings. Take the lid off of the fuel bowl and see if there is oil floating or black residue on the filter.
I'm hoping that you're correct about the air

Oil level is good and just changed... so is the fuel filter. I have been all over it looking for fuel leaks and can't find anything. Like I said, the long crank was not there until after I replaced the IPR. Previous to that it was simply dying randomly and would sometimes start right back up and other times I'd have to wait a few minutes. It would do it hot or cold and was only giving the p0340 (CPS) code. This time when it died it had also put a p1212 with it and that was the reason for replacing the IPR. I'll give them a week of driving it around and see what happens to the crank times.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:03 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
You do not need an edge filter.