Sponsored by:

Toyo Brand Tire Reviews

Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyo Brand Tire Reviews

Tire Brand Review Thread

Each of these individual threads has been developed to help answer the many, many questions people have about tires. Each thread will be added to the tech folder, which will allow for quick and easy reference for researching a specific brand and its performance on the Excursion or other large Ford machine!

This thread is to review all tires from this manufacture and only this one!

Toyo Tires

If you want to review another brand, please find that thread (located in the Tech Folder), or talk with a moderator about starting a new brand thread to potentially be featured in the Tech Folder.

If you decide to post your reviews on your tires, please include the following:

Type/style of tire
Tire size
Current Miles on the tire
Tread left

Please then describe how the tire has worked for you. Do not forget to mention how it has been while driving in:

Rain
Snow
Mud
Dry
Pavement
Gravel
Rock Crawling

If you have had an experience, good or bad, we want you to share it!

Lastly, please tell us if you would consider buying the tire again. Why or why not?

Don’t forget photos or video of:

The general tire on your Ex
Tread design
Sidewalls
Anything else you want to show us about the tire!

Thank you for your cooperation!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 01-28-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:56 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
We have a set of toyo open countrys on our 2002 e250 2x4 van stock tire size(i will update size once i clear the snow to see the tires lol). So far its been about 3 months with them and they are great. Van use to get stuck in mud but now they are great even in snow. I was really amazed about how well they did in the snow. They so far are wearing evenly and balanced well and no road noise. They are not very aggressive but do have some nice side wall grip lugs. So far i would buy again in a heartbeat. Got 4 for 650shipped to my door from tiredepot.com. And have a 60k warrenty to i believe

Old 03-10-2016, 12:33 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Well after about 3k miles one tire shedded. Thinking maybe a road hazard like a nail did it. Tire depot did give us half off a new tire even tho we did not get the road hazard on these tires so that was good at lease but so far the other 3 tires were fine. Hoping it was a 1 time thing

Old 03-10-2016, 12:51 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
@acf6 Input on Toyo tires?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:39 AM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
TOYO M-55 commercial 255/85R16 diameter 33.5 inches E rating.

70% gravel road driving
30% highway driving

October thru March snow and muddy gravel roads.

Snow rating 5 out of 5
Mud rating 5 out of 5
Road noise on pvmt 3 out of 5
Wear rating 10 out of 5!!!!

Most of my tires lasted 20,000 miles due to gravel road. These tires have about 5000 miles on them and I can still see the outline where the snow studs could be installed. They have no sign of gravel chewing up rubber like all other tires had. They are mud and snow rated.

They are very expensive....I paid $320 each, and will do it again for my second excursion.

These are not city slicker tires...they are noisy. But they wear like iron and I have busted thru 5 foot drifts with them.

Wet roads are not an issue. Wet road rating 4 out of 5, only because I haven't really tested wet pavement with them. I have driven on wet pavement and had no issues though.

They balance well, but are heavy.

Tread left 99%

Test vehicle 4x4 excursion V10.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:51 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Rock,

Nice write up, reps sent!

I did not know about these tires, so I looked them up. Here is a link to the Toyo site if anyone is interested in this model: https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/m-55

Old 03-10-2016, 01:26 PM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks,

Just a note, the M55 in 255/85 R16 are tall and somewhat skinny.

I run them at 40 psi in front and 36 psi in rear, empty. I don't tow or haul much. If you run these above 50 or 60 psi unloaded the center tread will wear faster than sides, as these tires seem to balloon in center.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:20 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
I work at an independent tire test facility and the word from the test engineers is that the M55 is THE longest wearing, good working tough tire that they've tested... we have a 7-12 mile dirt road into the complex, so alot of them (the higher paid ones at least) use them on their own cars.
So, I was excited to be able to get a set of slightly used ones with a set of F250 Harley wheels that I bought from a forum member (Jeremy05).
As rock2610d mentioned, it appears these were run at higher pressures, as the center is worn a bit more than the edges. On the drive from the tire shop, they were very firm riding at 70/70. I'm going to try them at 60/60.
I'll check back with all the info after I put some miles on 'em.
03 Ex 4x4 7.3, installed at 113k mi. 275/70-18

Old 07-05-2016, 03:09 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
After 6months another blow out. Thats 2 out of 4 tires now within 6 months. All the same way and maybe 15-20k miles on them. (Toyo open country 10ply)

Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Have been running Toyo Open Country AT's for many, many years on the Ex. I've always purchased the 265/75/16 E rated tire even after the V code/B code springs I did back in '05 just because.

When Toyo superseded the AT's with AT2's a few years back I noticed a very significant difference in steering and handling. I felt like almost all the gains I received after the spring upgrade were eliminated. So when I needed to replace two of the AT2's last year I went with BF Goodrich K02's to see if they would respond differently. Unfortunately (like I thought) mixing in two different tires doesn't give true feedback like it would if all four tires were replaced.

Fast forward to yesterday when I decided to fill in the wheel wells a bit more by wrapping all four in 285's and give the still good tires (80%+ tread life & 65%+ tread life left) to my daughter.

Well, after a short drive on the Open Country All Terrain AT2's in a 285/75/16 E rated tire I could tell a very big difference in how the rig handles. The handling is much better and more accurate with less imparted sway.

Weird too, because with a slightly bigger sidewall I figured it might be worse, which was why I hesitated to go bigger in the first place.

So for me, regarding the Open Country AT2's, so far the 285 > than the 265's in my opinion. At least for my rig they are.

After this summer, when I've towed our 31' TT to Yosemite I'll update my review.

So far, I really like this tire...a lot.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 06-02-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:35 PM
travs66
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I put around 40,000 miles on a set of LT305/50/22 Open Country ATs. I didn't ever drive them in snow however they handled all other terrain very well. After this set I purchased some AT2s and I shredded two of those and have not gone back to Toyo since.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:49 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
My most recent set of Open Country AT II's ALL ad tread separation at the 40K mile mark Discount Tire did give me a lot of help in replacing them, but it was quite disconcerting to see all the tires that I paid a pretty high price for, come apart at the 3-1/2 to 4 year mark. Now, I know for many of us, that is a lot of miles and years, but that's why I pay top dollar in the first place, right? I paid $460/each and since I had the road hazard I paid only $900 to replace all four. (Two were in spec for replacement, the other two happened a few months later when the coverage was over...of course). I guess it's cool if I get 4 years on a set then ok, but i don't wanna drive down the highway under load and have a tire separate! YMMV I'm on another set and hoping the last set was just a bad batch...BTW the Discount Tire warranty is WORTH IT!

Old 08-31-2020, 08:25 AM
the_real_zekenator
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Have been running Toyo Open Country AT's for many, many years on the Ex. I've always purchased the 265/75/16 E rated tire even after the V code/B code springs I did back in '05 just because.

When Toyo superseded the AT's with AT2's a few years back I noticed a very significant difference in steering and handling. I felt like almost all the gains I received after the spring upgrade were eliminated. So when I needed to replace two of the AT2's last year I went with BF Goodrich K02's to see if they would respond differently. Unfortunately (like I thought) mixing in two different tires doesn't give true feedback like it would if all four tires were replaced.

Fast forward to yesterday when I decided to fill in the wheel wells a bit more by wrapping all four in 285's and give the still good tires (80%+ tread life & 65%+ tread life left) to my daughter.

Well, after a short drive on the Open Country All Terrain AT2's in a 285/75/16 E rated tire I could tell a very big difference in how the rig handles. The handling is much better and more accurate with less imparted sway.

Weird too, because with a slightly bigger sidewall I figured it might be worse, which was why I hesitated to go bigger in the first place.

So for me, regarding the Open Country AT2's, so far the 285 > than the 265's in my opinion. At least for my rig they are.

After this summer, when I've towed our 31' TT to Yosemite I'll update my review.

So far, I really like this tire...a lot.

Stewart
Hi Stewart,

I just got a set of Toyo Open Country AT3's last week, went for the 285/75 16's, instead of the stock 265's...and they rub when I turn the wheel all the way to one side or the other! This is on my 2004 6.0 Ex 4WD...and it's super weird as my brother has a 2001 Ex 7.3 4WD with the same exact 285's and his don't rub. Actually I'm remembering now his are the AT2's. Am I crazy or what am I missing? Why do mine rub when it sounds like no one else's do? No accidents, stock wheels, stock suspension, etc. Is there a way to adjust the steering so it stops before it rubs? Do you think that would limit my maneuverability at all?

I just called Discount Tire to tell them I will need to switch to the smaller stock size, but I am wondering now if there's a way I can keep the correct looking size tires.

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2020, 10:50 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Just had another 325-50-22 AT II separate on me. I bought one so my axle is two new tires. Discount covered it under their road hazard warranty. The manager told me sometimes the tires get punctured but not all the way through and water gets in there. Since we live in a tropical and super hot state, the water could be causing the separation. All i know is if this happens again...I'm going another route for sure! I've had this happen too many times ALREADY, but I love the handling of these tires!

Old 10-07-2020, 01:24 PM
Atc210
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
35x12.50x20 Toyo Open Country AT2 will NEVER get put on my EX. I have gently used set with rims. Took them off and replaced with Falken Wildpeak AT3. Much better tire all the way around and around and back again. Toyo AT2 got super loud and has no traction on wet asphalt. Gravel roads eat them a live. Just say No. 3 of the 4 were out of round and Toyo wouldn't even warranty the tires. But offered me new ones. lol No.

Thats my experience with them, take it for what its worth.