Sponsored by:

So my wife was driving my EX today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:14 PM
wikdwest
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and she heard a noise and then the truck would barely drive. I went and checked it and i lost the exhaust pipe between cat and muffler (right below the second row) I also found 4 bared wires that had been ripped apart.

Exhaust broke loose and wrapped around drive shaft and ripped the sensor wires apart and threw the pipe somewhere?

So i am assuming that there was an oxygen sensor located on that portion of exhaust that is now lost.

I thought no big deal I will just drive to a muffler shop and get it fixed, but the Ex would barely move. So i guess i will have to tow it unless someone knows how i can get the truck to run missing the pipe and sensor.

My questions are:

Is that an oxygen sensor that goes into the exhaust pipe?

If so, can i just buy the sensor and pigtail, wire it and then drive to get exhaust fixed?

Is there a way for me to drive it without wiring in a new sensor instead of paying for a tow?

2004 6.8L limited

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Old 01-26-2016, 06:26 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like you lost your 3rd (after-cat) O2 sensor. I didn't think it would cause that severe of drivability problems, but then again, neither of mine are equipped with the 3rd O2.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats my consensus as well.

See my EXTREMELY blurry photo for location of the post cat 02 sensor. And Psyclopse is right, no driveabilityy issues will arise since that sensor is only used to monitor catalyst efficiency and is a strictly emission system bound component.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:38 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Have you looked to see if any of the wiring to the trans was damaged?

Old 01-26-2016, 09:44 PM
wikdwest
Senior User
The Ex ran fine until the dropped exhaust pipe and now it doesn't want to drive. Would the missing pipe between cat and muffler cause it to run bad? Back pressure or something? It is hard for me to believe that there are two separate issues here. Although it wouldn't surprise me either.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:46 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Might need to pull DTC's to figure out why it doesn't want to move now. Stebs might be on to something with the transmission wiring being screwed up. Maybe shift linkage was knocked out of alignment and the trans isn't shifting? Could be a lot of things...

Old 01-26-2016, 09:47 PM
wikdwest
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stebs
Have you looked to see if any of the wiring to the trans was damaged?
I didn't, it acts more like it is not getting fuel or is starved of air. I assumed that without the sensor and the bare wires maybe the computer was overcompensating or maybe something shorted out.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:51 PM
wikdwest
Senior User
Check engine light came on, so i will go see what codes come up, obviously the best course of action. Didn't have my code reader when i went there earlier.

Thanks for all your help, just trying to get as many ideas as possible so when i go check it out tomorrow i will be better prepared,

Old 01-26-2016, 09:58 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend

That statement by itself usually doesn't have a good outcome

Old 01-26-2016, 10:41 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Too true Michael. Are you certain nothing else happened to cause the exhaust break? Seems unlikely unless something big was driven over?

Old 01-27-2016, 01:21 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wikdwest
Would the missing pipe between cat and muffler cause it to run bad? Back pressure or something?
No. When I bought my truck, it was straight-piped by the previous owner- no cat, no muffler. It was loud as can be, but drove fine. I stuck a muffler in there, but no cat. Still drove fine. Then, last year, the muffler I installed decided to split at the seams while going down the road, and as a result, ripped the entire exhaust off from about where the cat would be, on back. Drove it like that for 2 weeks- again, loud as can be, but no major drivability issues.

There isn't a whole lot of transmission/transfer wiring on that side, but there is some. Check it for damage. I guess it is possible that the O2 wires shorted against each other or shorted to ground during the destruction, thus screwing up the PCM.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:35 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can picture that violently ripping the exhaust from a truck could have shaken the cats loose internally. You may have a plugged exhaust.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:22 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
I can picture your wife driving over curbs and medians loving the chance to drive your excursion then BANG and something violently ripping the exhaust from a truck could have shaken the cats loose internally. You may have a plugged exhaust.
I fixed it for you.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:58 PM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I would do a through examination of the underside.
Wrapping exhaust around driveshaft? Really?

How did you get it off the driveshaft?

I would look at the fuel line, as exhaust pipe wrapping would have hit both sides and roof/floor. Possible crushed fuel line.

Inspect brake lines too and wiring that goes to rear of Ex.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:44 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Guess I should add that when I was halfway through my header install I had to drive it to my buddies shop that works at the local DOT and the headers were leaking and I was running the headers and Y-pipe only and drove about 8 miles with no issues. I just did every little thing I could to keep it from shifting early

Quick Reply: So my wife was driving my EX today...