6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Camper/5th wheel plug, OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:59 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camper/5th wheel plug, OEM?

My truck has the camper package, at $160 MSRP I'm not sure what it actually contains if anything. It does not have a 7 blade connector for the camper. There appear to be a number of kits from eTrailer etc. for retrofit, all of which connect directly behind the trailer tow plug. Only a couple of kits have wiring as long as 10', and I'm not sure that is long enough to do a neat job of it. I need the plug near the drivers side headboard, and up high.

Looking at the wiring diagram and wiring, there appear to be two plugs suspiciously named and placed in the wiring harness, blanked off. I think these are for the factory 5th wheel harness, 13A576. Has anyone installed this, or looked at their factory installed 5th wheel connection? I'm thinking I might as well buy that and extend it, as buy an aftermarket that does not utilize the existing plugs.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:04 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Camper Pkg is more suspension related. The kit for the in bed wiring is a breeze to install and yes it is a true plug n play into the OEM wire harness. 10' of cord is well more than what is needed.

I found the best price on Amazon.

The most difficult part is bringing yourself to drill a big hole in the bed of the truck sidewall.....LOL.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:28 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
I've used the Bargman 90* one seen here for my last 4 trucks.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:56 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Hopkins 41157 wire kit on Amazon $58.97

Old 01-26-2016, 03:17 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Thanks, I've seen all the kits. Only a couple (Hopkins and Curt) are 10', and even that might be a little short. It's 7' forward along the frame, about 1.5' out to the bed wall, then 2' or 2.5' up. 10' might just stretch enough to fit....

And none of them seem to use the factory supplied plugs, but rather plug inline with the bumper connector.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:28 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
I assume that you plan to place it forward of the wheel well?

Old 01-26-2016, 04:59 PM
Jdman123
New User
Hi u can install the plug in back of wheelwell towards the end gate. That's where I got mine installed and Dad used to go them installed in his trucks in same location.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:57 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
This is for a camper, plug needs to be right up near the headboard. About even with the filler door on the inside. Behind the wheel well is completely inaccessible once the camper is in place.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Jdman123
New User
Hi oh I wasn't sure if was for camper or a gooseneck trailer.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:26 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Yeah, anywhere in the bed pretty much works for a 5th. I guess I will go down to the dealer and crawl under one and see what the factory harness looks like.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:16 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
I though I would update this in case someone searches. What I have found was, 2013 or thereabouts and afterward, the factory harness has plugs for an additional 5th wheel or camper 7 pin. There is a 6 pin (with one blank) and a two pin located just forward of the hitch torque tube. These T off of the rear harness a couple of feet forward along the frame rail. You can purchase the factory 5th plug (BC3Z-13A576-A) for around $80 discount, and it plugs directly into this, includes a 7 pin receptacle, and the housing/standoff. If the pigtail under the truck is rerouted forward from the T rather than aft, this is supposed to be long enough to mount the receptacle forward of the wheel house near the filler neck which is typical for many campers. I will confirm this shortly. All of the aftermarket harnesses I have seen (there are at least 10 brands) instead require unplugging the trailer receptacle and inserting the harness in line, rather than using the OEM supplied plugs. I'm sure either works, but the OEM harness is a bit neater.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
My truck didn't come with the in-bed connection either. I didn't like the in-line splice type aftermarket kits, so I found a factory setup in the junk yard.

My thread with details ......

The leads probably aren't long enough to reach the front of the bed though.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:09 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Huh, didn't find that thread in my search. I don't think the OEM harness is long enough without re-routing the pigtail on the under bed harness forward. It's maybe 2' forward to where it T's, so you move the plugs from near the hitch to 4' forward, and the OEM 5th starts from there. At least that's what I was told. I will have it by the weekend and see.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:37 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
OK, I did confirm that the OEM 5th wheel harness is long enough for camper use. By itself, about 6'. If you take the harness pigtail supplied with the truck (2013+), undo the plastic keepers and run it forward from where it tees rather than aft, you can mount the OEM 5th wheel plug all the way up by the box headboard. Inside of the frame rail beside the fuel tank is inaccessible, I ran the wire alongside the DEF fill hoses and then inside the frame rail - even that requires some contortionism I would not choose to do every day, but the result is very tidy and uses the sealing factory plugs.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:24 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
For whatever reason, Ford does not think a camper package (which is a SLIDE IN Camper) should come with an electrical connection in the bed, drivers side of the truck?????

As stated the connection is on the wiring harness but you have to put the plug in yourself or like I did, have the dealer do it as part of the sale...since I have a slide in camper.

Quick Reply: Camper/5th wheel plug, OEM?