New guy: 1947 Mercury one ton.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 12:08 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Amazingly good find. Great hunting skills!

Old 02-14-2016, 11:40 AM
ahall1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
947 Mercury 1 ton parts

Originally Posted by oldrelics
Cool truck. My dad and I are restoring his '47 Merc 1/2 ton, we have a lot of extra parts if you need, including a whole whack of 1 ton front fenders.
I'm in AB too.
I have a 1947 mercury 1 ton with grain bed from a Manitoba farm .I need spare wheel and tail light . My son lives in Spruce Groove and I live in Nova Scotia. Where are you located re pick up parts ? Thanks Al Halliday kandalhal@hotmail.com

Old 02-14-2016, 03:48 PM
oldrelics
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by outrgus
Went to the lethbridge swap meet today and found these.
Cab and 1/2 ton Mercury box with tailgate $400
heater core $5.
Cab is in really good shape and the floors are mint.
Box is dented but solid, and has the fenders.
I might not need to cut up the toner box now.
It's a good day.
Glad you got it, saw it there too. Those fenders are tough!

Old 02-14-2016, 07:34 PM
outrgus
Freshman User
Fenders will need a bit of work, i have a welder and a hammer, but not alot of body work skill, but it will work out in the end.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:15 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Fenders will need a bit of work, i have a welder and a hammer, but not alot of body work skill, but it will work out in the end.

I like your attitude!

Old 02-14-2016, 10:58 PM
outrgus
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
I like your attitude!
Thanks.
You tube videos will help me, what did we do before the internet. Read books!!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:30 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Thanks.
You tube videos will help me, what did we do before the internet. Read books!!
I read a lot of books. Some guys were lucky to grow up around a bunch of family that fixed cars or at least guys in town hanging around a gas station on weekends. I started in the 5th grade by reading books by William Campbell Gault. Hot Rod, Street Rod, Dirt track Summer, The Red car. This lead to more technical stuff. I couldn't get enough, but my dad sold insurance and didn't know cars so I spent my life seeking things mechanical and never stopped.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:33 AM
ahall1
Freshman User
1947 Mercury 1 ton parts

would buy a rim and lock ring for spare tire .this is all I need to complete my Mercury tonner. Live in Nova Scotia Canada .A person in Calgary may have one for me which I will take as well . NICE TRUCK

Old 02-16-2016, 07:59 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
I read a lot of books. Some guys were lucky to grow up around a bunch of family that fixed cars or at least guys in town hanging around a gas station on weekends. I started in the 5th grade by reading books by William Campbell Gault. Hot Rod, Street Rod, Dirt track Summer, The Red car. This lead to more technical stuff. I couldn't get enough, but my dad sold insurance and didn't know cars so I spent my life seeking things mechanical and never stopped.
Ditto.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:24 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Same here Gary, I absorbed everything automotive I could find and my dad was an old cowboy with no interest in such things. I just found one of my old Henry Gregor Felson books and I think I still have one he authored titled Hotrod, and I still have at least one of my Car Craft from when I had a subscription in the 60s

Old 02-16-2016, 02:34 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Same here Gary, I absorbed everything automotive I could find and my dad was an old cowboy with no interest in such things. I just found one of my old Henry Gregor Felson books and I think I still have one he authored titled Hotrod, and I still have at least one of my Car Craft from when I had a subscription in the 60s
It looks like I got the author wrong. I should look up William Campbell Gault. The 'red car' was rolled by a tourist and dragged into a local garage and everybody laughed at it's tiny engine, but the kid and the old man at the garage repaired it and he beat his friends with chevies on the windy-twisty curves up in the mountains. My mom was assistant librarian in our little local library and they had lots of car books. My paternal grandfather died when my dad was young. My grandpa drove a buick from Boston to Florida in something like 1908. In many rural towns it was their first sight of a motorcar. My aunt has a hand written ledger called 'The cruise of the good ship Buick'. I need to get her to copy it and she has two sons so I doubt I'll ever own the original. BB Sisson went on to run Sisson's Garage in Wareham Mass until his death in 1928 at age 47. BB Sisson's dad and grandfather had a livery stable and ran the last stage line from Cape Cod to Boston. That was in West Harwich Ma, and was on Sisson Road. It's no wonder I grew up with wheels and tires spinning incessantly in my head, endlessly doodling knock offs of Ed Big Daddy Roth's creations Great to find friends who remember these old books..

Old 02-16-2016, 03:16 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Felsen

Old 02-16-2016, 04:34 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It looks like I got the author wrong. I should look up William Campbell Gault. The 'red car' was rolled by a tourist and dragged into a local garage and everybody laughed at it's tiny engine, but the kid and the old man at the garage repaired it and he beat his friends with chevies on the windy-twisty curves up in the mountains. My mom was assistant librarian in our little local library and they had lots of car books. My paternal grandfather died when my dad was young. My grandpa drove a buick from Boston to Florida in something like 1908. In many rural towns it was their first sight of a motorcar. My aunt has a hand written ledger called 'The cruise of the good ship Buick'. I need to get her to copy it and she has two sons so I doubt I'll ever own the original. BB Sisson went on to run Sisson's Garage in Wareham Mass until his death in 1928 at age 47. BB Sisson's dad and grandfather had a livery stable and ran the last stage line from Cape Cod to Boston. That was in West Harwich Ma, and was on Sisson Road. It's no wonder I grew up with wheels and tires spinning incessantly in my head, endlessly doodling knock offs of Ed Big Daddy Roth's creations Great to find friends who remember these old books..
Good lord, I did the exact same stuff, doodling Roth like stuff and endless doodles of cars. I just found some of my old high school notebooks in mom's stuff when she died a couple years back, lot's of doodling and very little homework.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:49 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I had to beg my math teacher to change a D to a C- so I'd have enough credits to graduate high school. I have a pencil drawing on plywood of my 38 tonner on the back door of my shop. Hey we should be talking about the Mercury tonner here.Oops.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:07 PM
outrgus
Freshman User
Found some time today, got a few things done.
replaced the floor from the cab i got from swap meet.
patched the upper panel were the sun visors attach. Darn mice!
Stated some dent repairs on the rear fender.
Just tack welded the pieces in for now, need to get some gas for the welder to finish the job.

Attached Images     

Quick Reply: New guy: 1947 Mercury one ton.