Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short trip duration, is it bad!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 10:02 AM
fzrider998
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fellas, I appreciate the suggestions...but can we keep this thread to making a list of maintenance items and things to consider?

I don't want it to turn into this type of discussion ....its clouding the questions asked in the thread. Nor do I want an argument since everyone has their own opinion on these things, but if I can't just buy the truck and put quality diesel fuel and urea into the tanks (and perform normal maintenance), then I guess I'm out. I'm not buying a tuner to monitor this-that-and the other. I want to buy a truck, fuel it and drive it.

If no more suggestions to the above listed necessary maintenance list, I'll consider it complete. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Old 02-29-2016, 10:09 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
No problem. It wasn't clear how much info you wanted. The Edge Insight, Torque Pro and ForScan are monitors, though, not programmers.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:45 AM
fzrider998
Senior User
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
No problem. It wasn't clear how much info you wanted. The Edge Insight, Torque Pro and ForScan are monitors, though, not programmers.
I wondered that after I posted. I saw "Edge" and knew they had programmers and ASSuME'd. ;-)

I didn't mean to cut people off, just know that sometimes these things turn into oil threads...

My goal was to have an understanding if there really is a lot to the new diesels...or can I simply drive it and enjoy. Its a tough question because some people make everything they own a part-time job. I worry that because I don't tow heavy or haul heavy all the time, that the truck won't work well/last long.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:34 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
I was trying to provide you with enough information to make an informed choice. While mine is rarely driven under 35 miles and is used to tow a fifth wheel, I have seen guys at the dealer who were bringing it in again with DPF problems. With information, you can manage it and not be one of them. These are not the diesel of the 1990's and 2000s that can be idled a lot and putter around with. But having towed with an F150 Ecoboost (twin turbos) taught me I wouldn't want to tow without turbos again, but that is not what you are looking for.
What you are proposing can work as long as you understand that a little attention to detail can go a long way. Good luck with whatever you do.

BTW, there is a mod you can have done to the info screen that the dealer can do to show you your soot level. They might charge $50 to program it and you might have to tell them how to do it which, thanks to Blwnsmoke is right below:

Have to hook up IDS to truck

click toolbox
click module programming
click programmable parameters
select "personality" parameter
change "forced regeneration request" to "enabled".

All done.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:47 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Old 02-29-2016, 11:47 AM
fzrider998
Senior User
I was trying to provide you with enough information to make an informed choice. While mine is rarely driven under 35 miles and is used to tow a fifth wheel, I have seen guys at the dealer who were bringing it in again with DPF problems. With information, you can manage it and not be one of them. These are not the diesel of the 1990's and 2000s that can be idled a lot and putter around with. But having towed with an F150 Ecoboost (twin turbos) taught me I wouldn't want to tow without turbos again, but that is not what you are looking for.
What you are proposing can work as long as you understand that a little attention to detail can go a long way. Good luck with whatever you do.

BTW, there is a mod you can have done to the info screen that the dealer can do to show you your soot level. They might charge $50 to program it and you might have to tell them how to do it which, thanks to Blwnsmoke is right below:

Have to hook up IDS to truck

click toolbox
click module programming
click programmable parameters
select "personality" parameter
change "forced regeneration request" to "enabled".

All done.

Much appreciated.

My understanding was the truck had (as standard, not added in by the dealer) a guage / display option with a metric that told you whether or not it needed regeneration - and then it would perform this automatically (this is what varies based on how people are using the engine). So I understand correctly, you're proposing the aftermarket Edge monitor which gives more detail. How does this change your "maintenance" or "routine" or normal operation? If the metrics are reporting certain values you would manually force a regeneration?

Outside of this, you fuel it, drive it, change fluids/filters as needed?

Old 02-29-2016, 12:03 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
At the start of a Regen, the truck's info screen flashes a quick "Exhaust Cleaning in Progress" message. This is all you get. I often miss that and, other than fuel mileage getting worse, there is no indication of a regen which can take 15-30 miles. With the Edge CTS, I can put a DPF Status gauge on it which says "On" during the entire regen. There is also a red light that comes on at the top of the screen that stays on during the regen. You can also monitor EGT (exhaust gas temps) 1-4 and watch them rise and stay hot (1000-1200 degrees).
The way I use these is that if the regen starts as I near my home, I ignore it and park the truck. If it comes on while driving to work, it almost always starts about halfway into my trip and would be 80% done if I went straight on to work. I pass my usual exit, get off at the next exit and turn around back to my usual exit and it finishes before I get there. While this isn't necessary, continually not getting full regens means the next will start sooner and enough short trips will cause a soot buildup that will eventually give you a message to "Drive to Clean Exhaust" meaning that it wants you to keep driving until the soot is burned out. I prefer to never let it go that far.
If you have more questions, I am happy to help.
Torque Pro is a $5 app for Android and ForScan Lite I think will work for either i or A. You would need a $20 ODB to bluetooth adapter so the app can talk to the truck. I did that for a while and it woud run my phone's battery down and if charging, get very hot, so I bought the CTS.
The CTS or CTS2 can force a parked regen and there was a $250 option from Ford to add a manual regen button to the dash. I think Ford dropped the ball in providing the info and hoped everyone would drive the truck enough that you don't need to know. If we only did long hauls and towing, we could be ignorant of the whole process, drive it and forget it.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:32 PM
fzrider998
Senior User
Great info - thanks.

It sounds like it really shouldn't be an issue - I may not drive much during the week on my commute, but weekend running around always adds up.

Now to consider the next move....dealer has a '16 configured exactly how I'd order one...or wait on the '17s. :-)

Thanks again.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
The 17s will cost more because of the aluminum body and it is the first year of the redesign.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:04 PM
fzrider998
Senior User
Man, no kidding there. The '17s surely are going to cost a good bit more. The local '16 I found is a SC, 8Ft bed, blue, XLT w/ chrome pkg, rear step, upfitter switches, powerscope mirrors, rear camera. A couple other things, but those are the ones I'd specifically order.

I was leaning towards a gasser until I saw this one optioned out exactly how I'd get it. Also has the camper package, snow plow pkg, fx4, 18" wheels w/ e-locker. 3.55 rear. Perfect blend of function and creature comforts.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:23 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fzrider998
Man, no kidding there. The '17s surely are going to cost a good bit more. The local '16 I found is a SC, 8Ft bed, blue, XLT w/ chrome pkg, rear step, upfitter switches, powerscope mirrors, rear camera. A couple other things, but those are the ones I'd specifically order.

I was leaning towards a gasser until I saw this one optioned out exactly how I'd get it. Also has the camper package, snow plow pkg, fx4, 18" wheels w/ e-locker. 3.55 rear. Perfect blend of function and creature comforts.
Getting an XLT instead of the Lariat just about paid for the Powerstroke option.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:47 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
the truck sees additives as a contaminant and triggers warnings like drain fuel filter. it can also lead to fuel pump failure which then ruins the fuel system to the tune of around 10 grand.
The newer models must have a Pretty advanced detection system .

Old 02-29-2016, 08:04 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Isn't That The Truth!!!

Getting an XLT instead of the Lariat just about paid for the Powerstroke option.
Funny I should read this. About a week ago, I just opened up two tabs on the Ford website to build a vehicle. On one tab, I built a 2016 F-250 6.7L exactly the way mine is optioned, while on the other tab I built 2016 F-250 6.2L Lariat and the two trucks came out to almost exactly the same price.

I'm very happy with the way my truck is optioned. I only wished I could've gotten heated seats in my XLT.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:16 PM
fzrider998
Senior User
Yep. And the same thing is working out for the F150 vs F250. Similarly optioned, the 250 is maybe a couple grand more. When you consider the extra capability, I keep leaning to an xlt 250. Love my Lariat trim and extra amenities, but most of what I have on the old lariat is available on the xlt....not leather, but most all the other options.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
IMHO, diesels are "happier" when they work hard.....short trips, light duty usage just creates too many issues down the road ranging from turbo failures, etc.

Quick Reply: Short trip duration, is it bad!!!!!!