Notices
1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Front end noise) Turned Big Fix

Old 03-03-2016, 10:52 PM
nateairman
Posting Guru
nateairman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sometimes it is nice to read through some of the upgrades and dream.

What about the s366? What about the s369?

I need to order a clutch and do efuel first. But do not want to do a clutch again if it isn't going to hold up to a new snail. I am using stage one injectors and I tend to tow more than drive around.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:07 PM
nateairman
Posting Guru
I did a little research on turbos. Sounds like a s369 is pretty big, like it would take a lot more injector than I have to spool it. So I will work towards the s366 kit and about 500 hp max.

On another note I am still chasing a little noise in the front end. I am about to throw in the towel on this axel and look for a spare to build with new spindles. I would love to just put the money into mine but the truck has to keep moving.

Today I checked the spindle nuts again to make sure they weren't loose. Passenger side was a bit loose. This is the side that has been a problem for a while now. Ever since having brought it in. Driver side was good bit it was recently done.

All this has me looking at a 08 350 for 9k needs engine work.😥 ha!

Old 03-06-2016, 10:12 PM
nateairman
Posting Guru
The batteries were definitely part of my starting issue. I expected the glow plugs to be on longer after starting. Basically with in 1 minute of starting the engine the relay is denergized. I checked with a volt meter. Now I am considering putting the ebpv back together to help it warm up in less than 10-15 minutes.

I would like to pull the Trans and do the clutch myself. I have done plenty in mustangs etc. Basically slid under the car on a creaper lift the Trans on to chest and slid out. Not going to work on this truck. How heavy is the darn thing with the transfer case attached?

Going to do efuel and a rear tank next but need to know which pump is working best right now. I hear Bosch are not doing so well and stock doesn't perform.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:38 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Posting Guru
Jarrett Campbell is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 AM
Bob_T
Elder User
Bob_T is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here's the Bosch pump I'm running in mine. Made in Czechloslovakia of all places but it works fine. I don't know what the difference is between this one and the Bosch 058064474. It may be just that this one below doesn't include the mounting bracket. Jarrett, I like that the one you got comes with an optional AN fitting for $6. Those are some sort of hard to find metric thread and I ended up paying a lot more than $6 for it.

Amazon.com: Bosch 69136 Original Equipment Replacement Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: Bosch 69136 Original Equipment Replacement Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive

About the weight of the transmission and transfer case, I don't know but it's heavy. Best to use some sort of transmission jack. I'm sure it can be done without one but I think it will be a lot more work, especially replacing it and getting it lined up with the pilot bearing.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:49 AM
Bob_T
Elder User
Originally Posted by nateairman View Post
The batteries were definitely part of my starting issue. I expected the glow plugs to be on longer after starting. Basically with in 1 minute of starting the engine the relay is denergized. I checked with a volt meter. Now I am considering putting the ebpv back together to help it warm up in less than 10-15 minutes. <snip>
Unless you're in North Dakota or northern Alberta somewhere I can't imagine that it should take your truck very long to warm up. Are you talking about warm enough so that the heater works good, or does it take 10 or 15 minutes for the motor to smooth out and run right? If it takes that long I'm guessing that something else may not be quite right.

After deleting my ebpv I didn't notice any change at all in the warmup time and I'd never consider putting it back, unless it's for use as an exhaust brake. I think it's not much more than a nuisance system.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:35 AM
nateairman
Posting Guru
If I let it idle for 10-15 from cold start it will run smoothly. Something must be wrong.

In regards to the fuel pumps. I like the one with the AN fitting option. What is an6? An8?

The south Bend clutch has the Kevlar pilot bearing. Is this better than a needle bearing? Should it sway my decision?

Old 03-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Bob_T
Elder User
The AN number designation is the fitting size in 16ths of an inch increments. AN-6 would be 6/16" or 3/8", AN-8 is 8/16" or 1/2".

About Kevlar vs needle pilot bearings, I don't know. Needle bearings at least have some space between the needles to hold grease, a solid Kevlar bearing not so much. I don't know how much self lubricating properties Kevlar has once the grease gets old. I'm sure someone will come up with some real knowledge or experience.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:50 PM
nateairman
Posting Guru
I will have to get a hold of Clay. Probably the first step to success....

Old 03-07-2016, 07:22 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
MOOSE_MACHINE has a good reputation on FTE.MOOSE_MACHINE has a good reputation on FTE.
Nathan the best thing for you to do with the clutch is call Valair or southbend. Tell them what you have and your plans and they will tell you what's best suited for your application. As for the snail. I'd call barder turbo and talk to him. I'm sure he'll set you in the right path

Old 03-18-2016, 10:07 AM
nateairman
Posting Guru
Nick

I had a chance to call Valair today. The dual disc is about 1600usd good for 500hp the single is good for similar and $500 less. I will talk to Barder next.

Right now the truck is not used for commuting. When it is used it has a trailer hooked up or a load in the bed.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:58 PM
nateairman
Posting Guru
I have been using the truck a bit lately and am debating single disc or dual disc. The truck isn't a hot rod but it does get driven I don't tow super heavy. Latest gross weight was 9800kg. But that does the happen very often and it isn't for great distances.

I was kicking the S300 series turbo around but have decided to Fuchs on other things for now. It looks like the Web site Adam is always mentioning is a good way to go for a few more years of casual use.

What is the material that is used for shimming the fenders? I used a dense rubber block and it has not held up. The fenders have moved all over the place.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:20 PM
nateairman
Posting Guru
clutch finally

After having made a poor choice with the first clutch (stock) I am stoked to say I have ordered a SB 1944 5ofek??? Something like that. Should be here on Tuesday😊

Old 04-16-2016, 12:09 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
MOOSE_MACHINE has a good reputation on FTE.MOOSE_MACHINE has a good reputation on FTE.
Is that 5he dual disk then?

Old 04-16-2016, 12:22 PM
nateairman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE View Post
Is that 5he dual disk then?
It is the single disc rated to 425. Dave some room in the budget for a few other things like AE!😊

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: (Front end noise) Turned Big Fix

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: