Automated Safety Hitch System

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Elhanan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings! New to Fifth wheelers in general ...

I'm trying to decide F350 vs F250 which seems to be essentially pin weight ... Does anybody have any opinions about the "Automated Safety Hitch System" (ref The Automated Safety Hitch | Trailer Hitch | Gooseneck Horse Trailers | 5th Wheel RVs | Flatbed Goosenecks | Fifth Wheel ) seems like an interesting way to solve pin weight limitations on the 250, plus the added advantage of extra brakes! Of course everything looks good on a companies website. I'm looking for anyone with actual experience/opinions on these things.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts
I saw a link to this before. Looks like a whole new world of potential problems, overall length is increased, on tight turns it would be a nightmare, potential for jack knifing under heavy braking, additional combined weight. I can see that it is a way around having a truck that can't take the pin weight of your trailer but surely the safest solution is to get the right truck. JMHO

Old 01-24-2016, 10:10 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I would not go with something like this. I don't think it would be that robust.

Just get the F350 with the highest GVW.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:24 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Every time I try to find a short-cut to solve a problem, it ends up taking me longer and costing me more.

Steve

Old 01-26-2016, 08:27 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just looks plain scary to me. Handling and safety problem nightmares. No thanks.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:37 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Solution to a problem that you shouldn't get into in the first place.
Nothing more then a $10,000 band aid. More maintenance items to deal with, another axle for tolls and then there is the extra length.
Just my opinion, but you are better off starting with the proper truck.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:25 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
At over $12K, it would add probably 10 feet to the already 58 foot overall length of my truck and 5er combo. Then there is the fact that it's a ridgid attachment to the vehicle's frame, adding a lever waaaay back there to add to the potential of steering miscalculations. I also wonder what how that frame extension handles sudden terrain rises as often seen in CGs. Since I can't open the sites posted Recall Notice, makes me wonder what that problem is. I'll stay 'close coupled' with the trailer hooked up to the bed mounted conventional B&W hitch. And for sure, any conventional hitch is a LOT easier to hook up

Old 01-28-2016, 07:39 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering the price is a 350 is 1-2000 more then a 250, you would be wasting a lot of money with this system. Why would getting a 350 even be a debate if it is what you need?

Old 02-01-2016, 02:14 PM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just make sure you post when and where you'll be towing your new set up so we can be at least one state away.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:53 PM
aquill1
Freshman User
While valid points are made I have yet to find anyone with actual first hand experience with the ASH. I want to hear the downsides personally experienced rather than theory, especially since their videos and their website is very convincing.

We looked into the system and found out it was going to be about $12,000 just to buy it. Having to have more tires to worry about monitoring, more things going bad, more length and the added cost was enough for me to have second thoughts.

Our thoughts were that the initial cost is too high. That extra money can be better spent on a better 5er and the price increase from a F250 to a F350/F450. At least if you invest in a bigger truck you'll get the money back out of it when you sell/trade it. Good luck selling the ASH after you've gotten your use out of it.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:46 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Elhanan
Greetings! New to Fifth wheelers in general ...

I'm trying to decide F350 vs F250 which seems to be essentially pin weight ... Does anybody have any opinions about the "Automated Safety Hitch System" (ref The Automated Safety Hitch | Trailer Hitch | Gooseneck Horse Trailers | 5th Wheel RVs | Flatbed Goosenecks | Fifth Wheel ) seems like an interesting way to solve pin weight limitations on the 250, plus the added advantage of extra brakes! Of course everything looks good on a companies website. I'm looking for anyone with actual experience/opinions on these things.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to FTE.

Judging by your post it appears that you may be a distributor of this product...but I'm assuming not.

Fwiw the difference in srw 250 and 350 is nothing more than the badge for the most part with very few exceptions. Some choose to pay for the sticker and higher registrations, some dont.

From an engineers perspective (mine) the amount of lateral forces applied to the truck frame would be far in excess of what the frame could safely handle.

Also, what happens when traversing down a steep gravel grade with this system? I sure hope that the trailer doesn't push that cart out of its way (it will!). At least with the truck under pin you can turn into the skid and save it.

Let's not even about icy roads and such.

This is the same as the two wheeled tire gizmo that inserts in to your hitch receiver to increase payload and looks like a small set of training wheels. I.E. Not necessary and dangerous to say the least.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:00 AM
j palmer cass
Junior User
Supposedly these devices are sometimes used by pipeliners who live on the road in 5th wheel trailers but need full use of their truck bed for their gear. Reminds me of the Slimp wheel Luci and Dezi had on their long, long trailer.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:26 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
At over $12K, it would add probably 10 feet to the already 58 foot overall length of my truck and 5er combo. Then there is the fact that it's a ridgid attachment to the vehicle's frame, adding a lever waaaay back there to add to the potential of steering miscalculations. I also wonder what how that frame extension handles sudden terrain rises as often seen in CGs. Since I can't open the sites posted Recall Notice, makes me wonder what that problem is. I'll stay 'close coupled' with the trailer hooked up to the bed mounted conventional B&W hitch. And for sure, any conventional hitch is a LOT easier to hook up
Recall notice:

Recall of 86 Automated Safety Hitch Systems due to incorrect lug bolts/wheel studs installed by axle manufacturer.

The axle manufacturer installed the wrong lug bolts/wheel studs on the axles of the following Automated Safety Hitch Systems.

Dash five bolts were installed where the stronger shear strength of dash eight bolts were specified by the axle manufacturer.

With the axle manufacturer taking too long to initiate a recall, Automated Safety Hitch Incorporated is initiating this recall ourself.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:15 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aquill1
While valid points are made I have yet to find anyone with actual first hand experience with the ASH. I want to hear the downsides personally experienced rather than theory, especially since their videos and their website is very convincing.
Would a manufacturer post videos that show it in anything other than the best possible light?
Any manufacturer of any product for that matter.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:22 PM
j palmer cass
Junior User
Originally Posted by Rovernut
Would a manufacturer post videos that show it in anything other than the best possible light?...
This response brings Mandy Rice-Davies to mind.

Quick Reply: Automated Safety Hitch System