Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Truck keeps blowing flasher

Old 01-23-2016, 08:32 PM
roughridn_sob
Senior User
roughridn_sob is starting off with a positive reputation.
Truck keeps blowing flasher

So I just purchased this 1996 F250 single cab 7.3 powerstroke. when I test drove the truck I noticed the turnsignals didnt work. this is going to be a project truck and the price was right so I didnt think anything of it.

When I got it home I looked at the lower left fuse panel and said "well there's your problem, there's no flasher installed". So I went to local auto store purchased a flasher and installed it op checked the blinkers and all seemed well. Next day I took the truck out for a spin went to make a left turn indicator blinked as it should and I could audibly here it then it went dead. I thought it may have been a faulty flasher so I took it back exchanged it for a new one. this time I went through a better check. let it blink for a minute or so KOEO. started the truck drove with the blinker on. Then I flipped the signal on and hit the brakes and poof silence goes the flasher.

What should I be checking first? bulbs are tight and all working, emergency flashers work no matter what. only thing is the in cab right turn indicator is either burnt out or missing. sorry for the storybook hope someone can help.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:02 AM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
mrollings53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm interested in this too. I can't be of much help, but sometimes when pressing the brake with the turn signal on the turn signal will stop flashing, and stay lit. It's never long enough to fry anything, and I haven't been able to replicate it reliably. I also see a flash in the wiring on top of the steering column when pressing the brake with the headlights on.

On a side note, it's not often I see another AM around. What platform did you work on?

Old 01-24-2016, 10:34 AM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Posting Guru
NotEnoughTrucks2014 has a great reputation on FTE.NotEnoughTrucks2014 has a great reputation on FTE.NotEnoughTrucks2014 has a great reputation on FTE.NotEnoughTrucks2014 has a great reputation on FTE.
Is the flasher really dead? Maybe try that failed flasher in another vehicle? I suspect it will be just fine. You may be losing your flasher circuit through the turn signal switch. Check the connector at the column and if necessary, replace the switch.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:46 AM
William
Postmaster
William is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
TS switch is the likely culprit but, I'd carefully examine all the fuses to be sure someone hasn't installed a over amp fuse in the system trying to overcome some other issue. Stop and turn all work through the TS switch.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:30 PM
roughridn_sob
Senior User
Check out the fuse box as suggested and there was a 40amp fuse in the turn signal spot. Replaced it with the suggested 15 and took it out for a spin didn't fix anything and didn't blow the fuse still no turn sugnals. Why would some put a 40 in there?

Old 01-25-2016, 03:30 PM
roughridn_sob
Senior User
Originally Posted by mrollings53 View Post
I'm interested in this too. I can't be of much help, but sometimes when pressing the brake with the turn signal on the turn signal will stop flashing, and stay lit. It's never long enough to fry anything, and I haven't been able to replicate it reliably. I also see a flash in the wiring on top of the steering column when pressing the brake with the headlights on.

On a side note, it's not often I see another AM around. What platform did you work on?
I was a H60 b/f/h/S/r mechanic

Old 01-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Lead Head
Post Fiend
Lead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to all
Do you have a multimeter capable of reading current? If so you could put it across the flasher terminals and check the current flowing through it.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:33 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
dixie460 has a very good reputation on FTE.dixie460 has a very good reputation on FTE.dixie460 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by roughridn_sob View Post
Why would some put a 40 in there?
Because at some point it did blow and either that was all they had laying around or worse yet, that "fixed" the problem of the fuse blowing, at least it seemed to them. Trouble is that a fuse blowing is never a problem, it's a symptom of the real problem!

Do your brake lights still work when the flashers quit?

Old 01-25-2016, 08:35 PM
roughridn_sob
Senior User
Originally Posted by dixie460 View Post
Because at some point it did blow and either that was all they had laying around or worse yet, that "fixed" the problem of the fuse blowing, at least it seemed to them. Trouble is that a fuse blowing is never a problem, it's a symptom of the real problem!

Do your brake lights still work when the flashers quit?
yes dixie my brake lights still work and so do my flashers (i know thats a separate flasher thingy). hopefully I can do some more troubleshooting tomorrow with my multimeter.