Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Just installed factory VSS and auto start

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed factory VSS and auto start

 
  #1  
Old 01-17-2016, 07:09 PM
Daohaus's Avatar
Daohaus
Daohaus is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Daohaus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just installed factory VSS and auto start

We purchased a 2016 XLT that didn't come with all the bells and whistles so I picked up the vehicle security system (VSS) and auto start module from a dealer that sells on eBay.

I'll admit it was a bit nerve racking to be tearing open the truck less than a month old. But the Ford installation instructions were excellent. I did the VSS first and that was a breeze, took more time to adjust the shock sensitivity than it was the actual installation. Then I moved to the auto start portion; the only changes made for the 2016 is that they moved the TMP module from the pass side glove box to the driver's side headliner. It was a bit of a pain to get to the TPM module as you had to pull down the headliner just enough to get your hand/arm in there to plug it in.

Now tomorrow the wife will take the truck to the dealer to active this feature. For $245 shipped it's a bargain since she has to park the car outside now and the mornings are cold.
 
  #2  
Old 01-17-2016, 07:53 PM
Pocket
Pocket is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 9,293
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Plug and play makes things a breeze.

Enjoy it.
 
  #3  
Old 01-17-2016, 07:55 PM
Rubiconrod's Avatar
Rubiconrod
Rubiconrod is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 257
Rubiconrod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rubiconrod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You have the part # handy for the security module?
 
  #4  
Old 01-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Daohaus's Avatar
Daohaus
Daohaus is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Daohaus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Rubiconrod View Post
You have the part # handy for the security module?
DL3Z-19A361-A "Base Security Type A"
 
  #5  
Old 01-17-2016, 08:11 PM
Daohaus's Avatar
Daohaus
Daohaus is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Daohaus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
Plug and play makes things a breeze.

Enjoy it.
Yup, love it when manufacturers sell these as a DIY kit because they truly have it laid out for you
 
  #6  
Old 01-17-2016, 08:29 PM
Rubiconrod's Avatar
Rubiconrod
Rubiconrod is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 257
Rubiconrod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rubiconrod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Daohaus View Post
DL3Z-19A361-A "Base Security Type A"
Thanks! You did the install yourself or have a shop do it? I already have remote start so just looking for another layer of protection.
 
  #7  
Old 01-17-2016, 09:05 PM
Just Strokin
Just Strokin is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Tallassee, ALabama
Posts: 4,782
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Before Wife makes trip to dealer, there might be a few more items you need to acquire before you can get the remote start to work.

Is this the kit you installed?




Do you currently have IKT/remote start on your truck?

What is the part number of the Remote Start - DL3Z-19A390-B?

 
  #8  
Old 01-17-2016, 10:11 PM
Daohaus's Avatar
Daohaus
Daohaus is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Daohaus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post
Before Wife makes trip to dealer, there might be a few more items you need to acquire before you can get the remote start to work.

Is this the kit you installed?




Do you currently have IKT/remote start on your truck?

What is the part number of the Remote Start - DL3Z-19A390-B?

No I didnt get the version that you use the smartphone to remote start. Just DL3Z-19A361_A. The kit came with the VSS and the RMST with the little key fob shown in this eBay listing 11 thru 16 Super Duty Genuine Ford Parts Remote Start Security System Kit | eBay


Originally Posted by Rubiconrod View Post
Thanks! You did the install yourself or have a shop do it? I already have remote start so just looking for another layer of protection.
Yup did the install myself the Ford installation instructions are really clear
 
  #9  
Old 01-17-2016, 11:05 PM
Daohaus's Avatar
Daohaus
Daohaus is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Daohaus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oh also mounted her V1 radar detector with the blend kit and hard wired it to the mirror.
 
  #10  
Old 01-18-2016, 05:14 AM
Just Strokin
Just Strokin is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Tallassee, ALabama
Posts: 4,782
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
I added the VSS (Perimeter Alarm Plus), Remote Access (cellphone ability) and windshield long distance antenna to my 2015, but it already had the factory remote start.

The note at the bottom of the photo I attached about Ford remote start and security states you may need the RF Antenna and hood switch. The kit you purchased includes the RF Antenna but doesn't appear to have the hood switch. Does your truck have the hood switch or did you add the hood switch to your order for the $17?

The dealer can activate the remote start function without hood switch. If there is no hood switch not sure if they will activate since the hood switch is a safety item. The remote start should not work if there is no hood switch since it is a safety item.

On a side note, if you do not like the two small remote fobs you got with the kit there are a couple other fobs that give you bi-directional (feed back to the fob on truck remote start status). Bi-directional lets you know with beeps and light around the start button if the truck received the signal and subsequent beeps and lights to know it is running or not. I like the bi-directional fobs. My 2016 Fusion came with factory remote start and Ford supplied the one button fob like below.

If you want to search for a used fob on eBay, these are the FCC ID's

One button - ELVATRKC

Two button - H50TR27







I like the remote start you have added over the factory remote with the IKT (remote start buttons on the key along with lock/unlock of the doors). I am sure you will enjoy also.
 
  #11  
Old 01-18-2016, 09:55 AM
Daohaus's Avatar
Daohaus
Daohaus is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Daohaus is starting off with a positive reputation.
I didn't have to buy a good switch because the car had remote lock/unlock. I got the older style one button remote start that doesn't have the antenna nub sticking out. A though I like that bi-directional key fob as well. Just don't want to spend nearly $100 for a key fob. Programming/linking it to the truck is easy enough to do so if I did get one I can link it to this truck at home. Thanks for the part numbers!

Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post
I added the VSS (Perimeter Alarm Plus), Remote Access (cellphone ability) and windshield long distance antenna to my 2015, but it already had the factory remote start.

The note at the bottom of the photo I attached about Ford remote start and security states you may need the RF Antenna and hood switch. The kit you purchased includes the RF Antenna but doesn't appear to have the hood switch. Does your truck have the hood switch or did you add the hood switch to your order for the $17?

The dealer can activate the remote start function without hood switch. If there is no hood switch not sure if they will activate since the hood switch is a safety item. The remote start should not work if there is no hood switch since it is a safety item.

On a side note, if you do not like the two small remote fobs you got with the kit there are a couple other fobs that give you bi-directional (feed back to the fob on truck remote start status). Bi-directional lets you know with beeps and light around the start button if the truck received the signal and subsequent beeps and lights to know it is running or not. I like the bi-directional fobs. My 2016 Fusion came with factory remote start and Ford supplied the one button fob like below.

If you want to search for a used fob on eBay, these are the FCC ID's

One button - ELVATRKC

Two button - H50TR27







I like the remote start you have added over the factory remote with the IKT (remote start buttons on the key along with lock/unlock of the doors). I am sure you will enjoy also.
 
  #12  
Old 01-18-2016, 10:09 AM
troverman's Avatar
troverman
troverman is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NH
Posts: 9,454
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Interesting...what is the dealer planning on charging for this programming? I added the factory remote start, 2 keys, to my 2012 XLT. Dealer charged $499 including install. My '15 was a Lariat with remote start included, but now my '16 is an XLT again and no remote start. I saw a similar deal to yours from Fairway Ford in Ohio, and almost went for it. I called two dealers and both were very reluctant to install. They wanted $500 period. They were planning on charging me $250 to "activate" remote start which I know is a simple IDS procedure that takes 30 minutes or less. It seems the dealers want to make maximum profit on this, and hate the idea of someone undercutting them on parts and self-install.
 
  #13  
Old 01-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Just Strokin
Just Strokin is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Tallassee, ALabama
Posts: 4,782
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Interesting...what is the dealer planning on charging for this programming? I added the factory remote start, 2 keys, to my 2012 XLT. Dealer charged $499 including install. My '15 was a Lariat with remote start included, but now my '16 is an XLT again and no remote start. I saw a similar deal to yours from Fairway Ford in Ohio, and almost went for it. I called two dealers and both were very reluctant to install. They wanted $500 period. They were planning on charging me $250 to "activate" remote start which I know is a simple IDS procedure that takes 30 minutes or less. It seems the dealers want to make maximum profit on this, and hate the idea of someone undercutting them on parts and self-install.
If you have any mechanical ability, you can install the vss/remote start module DL3Z-19A361-A in 15 minutes or less. The bi-directional antenna, p/n DL3Z-15603-C, in 10 minutes or less. This saves the $500 the dealer wants which is a ripoff. To program the Remote Start settings with the Ford IDS computer takes less than 15 minutes. I could see paying 1/2 labor at max to get this function activated.

To program the remotes is a simple process. From the install instructions.

These steps must be performed with the VSS module security jumper removed if previously
installed. For additional information refer to "VSS Module - Optional Vehicle Security Features".

1 Start with doors unlocked

2 Driver's door open (remaining open throughout)

3 Verify that the gearshift lever is in the "PARK" position.

4 Depress and hold brake pedal.

5 Start with ignition key OFF.

6 Cycle ignition key to the ON then OFF position 5 times, then back to the ON position a 6th time.
The horn will honk 3 times to indicate transmitter learn mode access.

7 Press the START button on each transmitter you wish to program. The horn will honk 1 time
each time the START button is pressed to indicated the transmitter has been learned.

8 Cycle ignition key to the OFF position to exit transmitter learn mode.

9 NOTE: If previously removed, reinstall the VSS module security jumper.

Originally Posted by Daohaus View Post
I didn't have to buy a good switch because the car had remote lock/unlock. I got the older style one button remote start that doesn't have the antenna nub sticking out. A though I like that bi-directional key fob as well. Just don't want to spend nearly $100 for a key fob. Programming/linking it to the truck is easy enough to do so if I did get one I can link it to this truck at home. Thanks for the part numbers!
The single button fob, used, can be purchased off eBay for less than $20 each. Even the ones with Subaru on them work with the Ford bi-directional system as long as it has FCC ID - ELVATRKC

Here are some on eBay for $13.60 each.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-REMOTE-...hWUo9c&vxp=mtr

FYI, the old 3 button remote fobs work with our trucks. They must have one of these the FCC ID's - CWTWB1U212 CWTWB1U331 GQ43VT11T CWTWB1U345

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-3B-Replacement-Keyless-Entry-Remote-Key-Car-Fob-for-Ford-Extra-Batteries-/181271928907?hash=item2a34a6204b
Also, not trying to hijack your thread.....just trying to pass along info for others from prevent spending extra for the function you have added to your truck. I have gone through the procedure and spend extra on parts to achieve the current remote start/remote access/vss I currently have installed. If you don't want this on your thread/post, I will delete it.
 
  #14  
Old 01-18-2016, 10:55 AM
troverman's Avatar
troverman
troverman is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NH
Posts: 9,454
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Oh, I agree, it certainly is a rip-off. If I had access to IDS, I could do the whole thing myself. However, if the dealer stays firm that they are going to charge me $250 for "activation" or $499 for parts and labor, I don't have a lot of options. That is from the two nearest dealers, both about an hour away.
 
  #15  
Old 01-18-2016, 11:47 AM
Daohaus's Avatar
Daohaus
Daohaus is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Daohaus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post
If you have any mechanical ability, you can install the vss/remote start module DL3Z-19A361-A in 15 minutes or less. The bi-directional antenna, p/n DL3Z-15603-C, in 10 minutes or less. This saves the $500 the dealer wants which is a ripoff. To program the Remote Start settings with the Ford IDS computer takes less than 15 minutes. I could see paying 1/2 labor at max to get this function activated.

To program the remotes is a simple process. From the install instructions.

These steps must be performed with the VSS module security jumper removed if previously
installed. For additional information refer to "VSS Module - Optional Vehicle Security Features".

1 Start with doors unlocked

2 Driver's door open (remaining open throughout)

3 Verify that the gearshift lever is in the "PARK" position.

4 Depress and hold brake pedal.

5 Start with ignition key OFF.

6 Cycle ignition key to the ON then OFF position 5 times, then back to the ON position a 6th time.
The horn will honk 3 times to indicate transmitter learn mode access.

7 Press the START button on each transmitter you wish to program. The horn will honk 1 time
each time the START button is pressed to indicated the transmitter has been learned.

8 Cycle ignition key to the OFF position to exit transmitter learn mode.

9 NOTE: If previously removed, reinstall the VSS module security jumper.



The single button fob, used, can be purchased off eBay for less than $20 each. Even the ones with Subaru on them work with the Ford bi-directional system as long as it has FCC ID - ELVATRKC

Here are some on eBay for $13.60 each.

Ford Remote Keyless Auto Start FCC ID Elvatrkc Model 4360320 | eBay

FYI, the old 3 button remote fobs work with our trucks. They must have one of these the FCC ID's - CWTWB1U212 CWTWB1U331 GQ43VT11T CWTWB1U345

2 New 3B Replacement Keyless Entry Remote Key Car Fob for Ford Extra Batteries | eBay

Also, not trying to hijack your thread.....just trying to pass along info for others from prevent spending extra for the function you have added to your truck. I have gone through the procedure and spend extra on parts to achieve the current remote start/remote access/vss I currently have installed. If you don't want this on your thread/post, I will delete it.
No please keep it as it will benefit others later when they google search this. I will definitely look into the key fob if the Mrs wants something different. Yah the programming of the key fob to the vehicle is pretty straight forward.

Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Oh, I agree, it certainly is a rip-off. If I had access to IDS, I could do the whole thing myself. However, if the dealer stays firm that they are going to charge me $250 for "activation" or $499 for parts and labor, I don't have a lot of options. That is from the two nearest dealers, both about an hour away.
I would find out what the going 1 hr labor rate is and 1/2 it because it shouldn't take that long to plug the truck up to their IDS and activate the feature. Anything more than that they're just gouging.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed factory VSS and auto start


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: