Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Just installed factory VSS and auto start

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed factory VSS and auto start

Old 01-18-2016, 08:21 PM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Interesting...what is the dealer planning on charging for this programming? I added the factory remote start, 2 keys, to my 2012 XLT. Dealer charged $499 including install. My '15 was a Lariat with remote start included, but now my '16 is an XLT again and no remote start. I saw a similar deal to yours from Fairway Ford in Ohio, and almost went for it. I called two dealers and both were very reluctant to install. They wanted $500 period. They were planning on charging me $250 to "activate" remote start which I know is a simple IDS procedure that takes 30 minutes or less. It seems the dealers want to make maximum profit on this, and hate the idea of someone undercutting them on parts and self-install.
Ask the service writer what "book time" is to install remote start on a 2016 Super Duty. They probably don't know, or they'll give a wrong answer.

Most dealers are scared to install remote start, even plug-and-play. Service writers don't know where to find installation times. A vast majority of technicians have never been trained, and most can't even find the installation instructions. It's not that it's difficult, it's just the resources to all the information is buried in Ford's system and not readily accessible unless you know exactly where to look.

So dealers tend to quote a much higher labor charge than what is required. Not because they are necessarily trying to rip customers off, but typically it's because they just don't know any better.

If they are both very "reluctant" as you say they sound, I bet they haven't done any or very few at best. I bet the ones they have done took them several hours longer than book time to figure out.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:20 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Pocket, I suspect many of the service writers or techs probably have installed or heard the exaggerated stories about installing the old remote start or security systems when you had to splice wires and run wires for hood switch or add relays for door locks. Those installs did take a few hours or more.

I know I added aftermarket remote start to a number of cars and trucks years ago. Took me 2 to 3 hours for the install.

The plug and play systems now are child's play compared to the old systems.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:22 AM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post
Pocket, I suspect many of the service writers or techs probably have installed or heard the exaggerated stories about installing the old remote start or security systems when you had to splice wires and run wires for hood switch or add relays for door locks. Those installs did take a few hours or more.

I know I added aftermarket remote start to a number of cars and trucks years ago. Took me 2 to 3 hours for the install.

The plug and play systems now are child's play compared to the old systems.
Yes I agree these are child's play, but the way Ford went about it with their dealerships made it 10 times more difficult than it ever should have been.

I get phone calls on a daily basis from dealers that can't figure out the plug and play systems. And I'm not even joking. I have to walk them through it.

More than 50% of my daily phone calls are remote starts, with a vast majority of them plug and play systems.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:41 AM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
I get phone calls on a daily basis from dealers that can't figure out the plug and play systems. And I'm not even joking. I have to walk them through it.

More than 50% of my daily phone calls are remote starts, with a vast majority of them plug and play systems.
No offense, but glad is you. I did my share of time with trouble calls from computer users in a hospital setting. Is not fun to try to talk someone through a procedure that has no clue where the on/off button is located...

Old 01-19-2016, 03:09 PM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Bite N Hold is starting off with a positive reputation.
When you install the remote start, does it interface with they Mytouch computer so you can program how long the truck will run?

Old 01-19-2016, 04:37 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bite N Hold View Post
When you install the remote start, does it interface with they Mytouch computer so you can program how long the truck will run?
Yeah, a new menu will be added to the message center...you can choose 5,10, or 15 mins. Has nothing to do with MyFord Touch though.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:44 PM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Bite N Hold is starting off with a positive reputation.
perfect!!!

Old 01-19-2016, 05:12 PM
Pocket
Originally Posted by Bite N Hold View Post

Not through MyTouch, but it will be in the driver's information display in the center of the instrument cluster.

I just wish the Super Duty's had all the options that the other vehicles do in the remote start menu. Other vehicles you can change not only run time, but also climate control settings and other menu options.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:37 PM
Daohaus
New User
Daohaus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not through MyTouch, but it will be in the driver's information display in the center of the instrument cluster.

I just wish the Super Duty's had all the options that the other vehicles do in the remote start menu. Other vehicles you can change not only run time, but also climate control settings and other menu options.
Now that would be a nice touch

Old 01-20-2016, 09:34 PM
Daohaus
New User
Update:

Wife finally got a chance to take the truck to the dealer to get remote start activated. They had their tech that does alarm installs do this. Well after 1.5hrs @ $95/hr he concluded that the jumper was not installed that prohibited the RMST to work.

Well that struck me wrong as I consulted the factory ford installation manual and re-read that portion multiple times to make sure that I didn't misinterpret it. Only install the jumper if you want to disable VSS.

Well I got home pulled the knee panel off pulled the jumper out. Did the procedure for the RMST to learn itself to the truck. Rolled down the window locked the truck hit the steering wheel to make sure the alarm was working. Then hit the remote start key fob 2x and voila. The truck started up.

So the thing I concluded was that the tech skipped the learning procedure for the RMST. I'll let the dealer know for future reference but just annoyed that we were charged 1.5hr for this.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:05 AM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Glad you got it working.

Personally, I would have printed out the one page with steps 30 through 34 on it and that is all I would have asked the dealer to perform. The remainder you could have done yourself at home.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:18 AM
Pocket
Originally Posted by Daohaus View Post
Update:

Wife finally got a chance to take the truck to the dealer to get remote start activated. They had their tech that does alarm installs do this. Well after 1.5hrs @ $95/hr he concluded that the jumper was not installed that prohibited the RMST to work.

Well that struck me wrong as I consulted the factory ford installation manual and re-read that portion multiple times to make sure that I didn't misinterpret it. Only install the jumper if you want to disable VSS.

Well I got home pulled the knee panel off pulled the jumper out. Did the procedure for the RMST to learn itself to the truck. Rolled down the window locked the truck hit the steering wheel to make sure the alarm was working. Then hit the remote start key fob 2x and voila. The truck started up.

So the thing I concluded was that the tech skipped the learning procedure for the RMST. I'll let the dealer know for future reference but just annoyed that we were charged 1.5hr for this.
You were absolutely correct. The jumper only disables the security portion.

I can pretty much guarantee the tech that activated your truck was looking at the wrong set of instructions. The very first plug and play systems actually connected to the TPMS module, not to the DLC (OBDII). So the activation sequence to learn the module to the truck didn't exist in the old instructions. Activation with IDS remains exactly the same, so that's what he did. Ford still has these instructions posted to dealer technicians, but the Ford system doesn't clearly specify which set of instructions to use. So techs get confused and pick the wrong link to download.

Also the old systems came with the FOB's pre-programmed to the module. The new ones don't as they are now sold separately. I bet the remaining hour the tech had to look up how to program the FOB's. Got far enough to have the FOB's learned to the vehicle, and then gave up when they wouldn't start the truck.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:08 PM
Daohaus
New User
You were absolutely correct. The jumper only disables the security portion.

I can pretty much guarantee the tech that activated your truck was looking at the wrong set of instructions. The very first plug and play systems actually connected to the TPMS module, not to the DLC (OBDII). So the activation sequence to learn the module to the truck didn't exist in the old instructions. Activation with IDS remains exactly the same, so that's what he did. Ford still has these instructions posted to dealer technicians, but the Ford system doesn't clearly specify which set of instructions to use. So techs get confused and pick the wrong link to download.

Also the old systems came with the FOB's pre-programmed to the module. The new ones don't as they are now sold separately. I bet the remaining hour the tech had to look up how to program the FOB's. Got far enough to have the FOB's learned to the vehicle, and then gave up when they wouldn't start the truck.
What you described sounds about right. Ironic that the installation pdf that was emailed to me after purchasing this was 50+ pages but clearly shows what model year each section was for. Ford was very clear about that, wished they would be more clear to their dealers so that they avoid this type of thing.

I felt pretty good in being able to fix what couldn't have been done at the dealer but it was a bitter sweet victory LOL

Old 01-23-2016, 04:13 PM
Daohaus
New User
I don't think my wife misses her minivan. This truck is fully wired. Did her vehicle alarm and remote start. Then installed her V1 radar detector and we got her Rexing dashcam today so it's hooked up to the 12V for now. I have to hard wire it this weekend. Got her a phone holder that slides into the CD slot since I don't recall the last time we used a CD. Even the kids got an LTE wifi hotspot so they're happy too.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:27 PM
latandatt
New User
latandatt is starting off with a positive reputation.
HELP

I have a 2016 f250 crew xlt 6.7. I have the remote start kit for a 2016 and no instructions. I see here the the TMP is in the headliner some where over the drivers side??? Where from the front, the side? how far in? where do you put the antenna then? my cable is short so it cant go back down to the the glove box. Any one have a photo? I really wanted this working soon. After all the BacFlip cover I ordered UPS would not deliver as the broke it..... Brand new truck I would love to have the toys I want on it and working....

Thanks......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed factory VSS and auto start

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: