6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2016 different fuel lines and design lower filter ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 04:01 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to hear that m-chan68 about the filters check that in my manual when I ordered them online just to be ready in case they froze up with all my traveling but after hearing about that bottom part cracking I was going to grab an extra one just to have it with me don't want to get stuck on the side of the road in the middle of no where and then have to pay some ridiculous price for a filter or that plastic cap thanks for looking that up. Do you think its better then the old one ??

Old 01-18-2016, 03:29 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To clear up any confusion the top filter is different on a brand new truck from the factory they install a filter during assembly that has an extra port on it and most agree that it must be used for purging and fueling a dry engine so don't let that confuse you when you get new filters and the top one is only with 2 ports and is not strictly identical to the factory original

Old 01-18-2016, 07:55 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
To clear up any confusion the top filter is different on a brand new truck from the factory they install a filter during assembly that has an extra port on it and most agree that it must be used for purging and fueling a dry engine so don't let that confuse you when you get new filters and the top one is only with 2 ports and is not strictly identical to the factory original
My 2016 F-250 secondary fuel filter came from the factory with only two ports like the replacement ones. I believe it was the 2011s that came new with three.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:00 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by radium
I was going to grab an extra one just to have it with me don't want to get stuck on the side of the road in the middle of no where and then have to pay some ridiculous price for a filter or that plastic cap thanks for looking that up. Do you think its better then the old one ??
From what I remember, changing my filters I will say it was definitely DIFFERENT from the older ones, but whether or not I think it's BETTER, I can't say. At the end of the day, all it is, is a hard piece of plastic that can harden, brittle and break just like any other piece of hard plastic part. Give it a couple of years and we'll find out how well these '16 caps will hold up.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:21 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks for posting this... Anyone try the newer cap on an older truck yet?

We shall see if people break these as fast as the current style. Almost makes you want to have a metal one made.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:12 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 906 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by radium
different bottom filter too ?? is that the o ring point sure looks like it ???

OK, I just did a fuel filter change on my 2016. I can confirm that the factory supplied engine mounted filter does NOT have 3 ports like earlier models did. What is more interesting is that the frame mounted filter housing is considerably different that prior years. It appears to have a much deeper bowl for holding water. The arrow where Radium is pointing is NOT the oring point, it is much further up, at the top of what looks like the plastic collar. The fuel filter cartridges are the same however.

Now, I have to order a new housing for my 2016....and a new sensor, because in my haste to get the filter changed, I neglected to disconnect the WIF sensor, and the sensor pulled right off the bowl. It appears to snap on with a couple of springs inside for contacts. I got it back together, but now I don't trust it. I'll order a new bowl and sensor, and keep this as my spare.

Just in case anyone is doing the same, here are the part numbers with Online prices from Autonation Ford:

FC4Z-9G270-A - Bowl $22.92
BC3Z-9T321-B - WIF sensor $20.49
BC3Z-9J305-B - Drain valve $4.80

Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2016, 10:09 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
One other comment I'd like to add with regards to the redesigned bowl, is that the biggest difference I see is that the collected water is much lower in the bowl further away from the filter, along with the sensor, so the sensor will come on *before* it gets overloaded, and gets sucked into the fuel system. That had been a complaint on the older bowls was that by the time the WIF came on, you were already sucking water into your fuel system as the WIF sensor was too close to the top.

I don't know if the new bowl will fit on 2011-2015 trucks, but since I have that style at home, I'll compare the two, and report back. I suspect it will fit, the only question would be weather or not the WIF sensor wire would be long enough to reach the lower bowl to plug into the sensor.

Of course, all this is a mute point on the 2017's and beyond it appears with the redesign I've seen in photos.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:31 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
Of course, all this is a mute point on the 2017's and beyond it appears with the redesign I've seen in photos.
This is true - they've added a lot more water capacity before WIF illuminates, and more time after WIF illuminates before water could ever reach engine.

I didn't realize the 2016 trucks had any different design from the previous 6.7's, other than the metal bracket guard extending down further to better protect the whole unit?

Old 10-04-2016, 11:47 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by troverman
This is true - they've added a lot more water capacity before WIF illuminates, and more time after WIF illuminates before water could ever reach engine.

I didn't realize the 2016 trucks had any different design from the previous 6.7's, other than the metal bracket guard extending down further to better protect the whole unit?

I didn't either until last night! I'll take photos of the two bowls side by side and post them. Like I mentioned, I don't know if the 2016 bowl will work on pre-2016's or not due to the additional depth of the bowl, and whether or not the WIF sensor wire will reach.

also interesting, When I went to order my extra bowl from Autonation, I used both my VIN, and year/make/model to locate the proper part. Everytime it came back as the same part number that fits 2011-2015. It wasn't until I called that they gave me the proper part number, which I noted in my prior post.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:35 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Upper housing

Is the upper housing the same as the older years?? Just because you can screw it on does not mean the filter fits properly.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:37 AM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well since I started this post I figured I'd give you some more information unfortunately they break as easy as the original, learned that the hard way. The new ones are 5 inches from the top of the seal to the Lower part of the unit and very deep catch basin inside with the wif sensor sitting lower to catch the water some quick pictures of an extra one I have

Attached Images   
Old 11-11-2016, 09:06 PM
DavidT.
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rep points added radium! I went to change the fuel filters out on my 2016 and although the process is similar there were several key differences that made me go, "Hey...that's different."
  • Under the hood filter does not have the 7mm bolt holding the filter. Instead it just rotates and snaps into place. The clip holding the first fuel line to the under hood fuel filter is also different than from what I've seen/read on the forum.
  • Under the frame filter has a skid plate type plate around it. 8mm bolt head and 10mm nut on the other end holds this plate in place. Once removed, unit swivels out of the way and allows you to loosen fuel bowl.
  • As found above, fuel bowl on 16 model is much deeper and the 32mm nut is more recessed under the cap. O-Ring sits way up there.
  • Fuel bowl only tightens to a certain amount. If you rotate it anymore to the left, the skid plate unit will not swivel back because the drain and WIF sensor will be blocking it.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:59 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DavidT.
Rep points added radium! I went to change the fuel filters out on my 2016 and although the process is similar there were several key differences that made me go, "Hey...that's different."
  • Under the hood filter does not have the 7mm bolt holding the filter. Instead it just rotates and snaps into place. The clip holding the first fuel line to the under hood fuel filter is also different than from what I've seen/read on the forum.
  • Under the frame filter has a skid plate type plate around it. 8mm bolt head and 10mm nut on the other end holds this plate in place. Once removed, unit swivels out of the way and allows you to loosen fuel bowl.
  • As found above, fuel bowl on 16 model is much deeper and the 32mm nut is more recessed under the cap. O-Ring sits way up there.
  • Fuel bowl only tightens to a certain amount. If you rotate it anymore to the left, the skid plate unit will not swivel back because the drain and WIF sensor will be blocking it.
I hope you turned it until it hit the "stop". Otherwise you will probably be sucking air. It starts to turn hard, thats why I use a little clean motor oil to lube the oring.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:02 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Always use some motor oil for the o rings.

They deleted the bolt for the top mounted filter I believe in early 2012 models.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:44 AM
DavidT.
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
I hope you turned it until it hit the "stop". Otherwise you will probably be sucking air. It starts to turn hard, thats why I use a little clean motor oil to lube the oring.
Yep I also used a little motor oil to lube the o-ring.