6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

testing for HG leaks- did I miss something.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:02 AM
rossterman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
testing for HG leaks- did I miss something.

I recently bought a very clean low mile (70k)2006 powerstroke. All stock and doesn't look like it was ever used to tow anything (camper shell w/o 5th wheel holes in bed and inside of recieved hitch has most of the factory paint still.

Runs great (was a little rough on cold start but archoil 9100 fixed that) but got an aftermarket warranty just in case since the local diesel shop couldn't get to inspecting before I planned to buy. Since most of the aftermarket extended warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on (outside of factory ford one) I was planning on dropping the policy once everything checks out alright. I also did torque pro pids and everything is great (including eot/ect delta).

To make sure I didn't miss a thing I took to a diesel speciality repair shop to give it a full inspection last weekl( expecting to hear all is good). They inform me it failed the coolant combustion gas test (not right away but after a while which would indicate head gaskets vs. Erg cooler) and needed head gaskets and studs.

I decided to do a diesel specific combustion test (3 separate times-cold, after warm up, and after flogging it on the freeway) and passed fine. Even checked the test fluid by holdings he tester in the exhaust and it turned orange like it is supposed to. Today I added a coolant pressure guage and ran it out on the freeway under load and pressure holds around 7psi with ~ 1psi increase when flooring it. Goes back to 7 psi when back cruising. To ensure I didn't have a pressure leak, I've left the guage connected and the pressure holds while the truck is sitting turned off in the driveway. Also took it back on the road a 2nd time when I bled the pressure after it was fully warmed as I wanted to take it on a long uphill climb. That time the pressure varied from 4 psi when cruising to 6 psi at the top of the hill

So, all seems good but am I possibly missing anything?

Old 01-15-2016, 08:03 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,382 Likes on 2,081 Posts
Could be that shop was looking for business, get to know the truck a little before jumping to conclusion.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:32 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Sounds like a very thorough check out with no issues noted.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:35 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
forum rules recently put into place... older members are required to inform new guys (around your 10th post) that your required to show pictures of said "new members truck" and if you got a really good deal, post that great deal for others to congratulate you on... end of rule

interpretation of new rule by older member..... show us that truck!
Where you from and congratulations on a very good find!

Old 01-15-2016, 11:25 AM
rossterman
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
forum rules recently put into place... older members are required to inform new guys (around your 10th post) that your required to show pictures of said "new members truck" and if you got a really good deal, post that great deal for others to congratulate you on... end of rule

interpretation of new rule by older member..... show us that truck!
Where you from and congratulations on a very good find!
I got it! For some background, I've been looking for a clean low mileage 2005-7 for ~ 6 months and toying over just buying a new one. Don't want the teething problems of the 2017 revised model (and extra emissions stuff) so was planning to order a new 2016.

I was down to the wire when I was going to have to place my new build order and found this one. Very clean- paint and interior looked like new. Concern was that it was traded in at a ford dealer and they sent it to auction so was concerned something was amiss. I've been all through the truck and other than the miss miss it had when cold (which the additive fixed) it looks like it's in excellent mechanical shape as well.

In the end, I like performing my own work and maintenance so opted to save the money on buying a new one (and I have a preference to interior style of these years over the newer models.). Wasn't a steal as to price but It was in line with what low mileage trucks were selling for around here and cheaper than some I'd seen that were not as well maintained.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:53 AM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Sounds like a very thorough check out with no issues noted.
I agree. Those coolant pressures seem perfect to me.

As long as you are not puking coolant out of the degas bottle and are getting that kind of pressure, you are good to go.

That being said, you need to get some kind of monitoring setup. You could go with a scangauge 2 or a simple bluetooth obd2 adaptor with an app for your smartphone or tablet.

The reason for gauges is to catch any problems before they escalate. For example, if your oil temp is more than 15 degrees higher than your coolant while cruising unloaded at 65mph, you risk rupturing the egr cooler and a new oil cooler is in order.

Welcome to the forum and congratz on the new truck.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:30 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your going to like that truck, roomy, comfortable to drive long distance and good looking! Looks perfect from here, very nice truck!

Old 01-15-2016, 12:37 PM
rossterman
Senior User
Originally Posted by brandonrr
I agree. Those coolant pressures seem perfect to me.

As long as you are not puking coolant out of the degas bottle and are getting that kind of pressure, you are good to go.

That being said, you need to get some kind of monitoring setup. You could go with a scangauge 2 or a simple bluetooth obd2 adaptor with an app for your smartphone or tablet.

The reason for gauges is to catch any problems before they escalate. For example, if your oil temp is more than 15 degrees higher than your coolant while cruising unloaded at 65mph, you risk rupturing the egr cooler and a new oil cooler is in order.

Welcome to the forum and congratz on the new truck.
Thanks! I've learned a ton of stuff from you guys over the last few months! I actually got the torque pro app with powestroke PIDs which helped me confirm that eot/ect deltas, ficm, hpop, etc when I was truck shopping. As to oil cooler on this truck; at cruising speed the deltas are ~ 5 degrees with 10 degrees when pulling hills. I plan to back flush the oil cooler and add an IPR coolant filter to prevent future problems but wanted to wait until I get the head gasket question resolved fully before putting any other money into,the truck.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:36 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rossterman
I recently bought a very clean low mile (70k)2006 powerstroke. All stock and doesn't look like it was ever used to tow anything (camper shell w/o 5th wheel holes in bed and inside of recieved hitch has most of the factory paint still.

Runs great (was a little rough on cold start but archoil 9100 fixed that) but got an aftermarket warranty just in case since the local diesel shop couldn't get to inspecting before I planned to buy. Since most of the aftermarket extended warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on (outside of factory ford one) I was planning on dropping the policy once everything checks out alright. I also did torque pro pids and everything is great (including eot/ect delta).

To make sure I didn't miss a thing I took to a diesel speciality repair shop to give it a full inspection last weekl( expecting to hear all is good). They inform me it failed the coolant combustion gas test (not right away but after a while which would indicate head gaskets vs. Erg cooler) and needed head gaskets and studs.

I decided to do a diesel specific combustion test (3 separate times-cold, after warm up, and after flogging it on the freeway) and passed fine. Even checked the test fluid by holdings he tester in the exhaust and it turned orange like it is supposed to. Today I added a coolant pressure guage and ran it out on the freeway under load and pressure holds around 7psi with ~ 1psi increase when flooring it. Goes back to 7 psi when back cruising. To ensure I didn't have a pressure leak, I've left the guage connected and the pressure holds while the truck is sitting turned off in the driveway. Also took it back on the road a 2nd time when I bled the pressure after it was fully warmed as I wanted to take it on a long uphill climb. That time the pressure varied from 4 psi when cruising to 6 psi at the top of the hill

So, all seems good but am I possibly missing anything?
If those numbers are accurate then I doubt you have HG issues.

It would be a good idea to get a Ford warranty history report from your local dealer. Then do the updates as needed. Blue spring, STC fitting, stand pipes and dummy plugs, FICM.