6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Sounds Like Rear End Binding When Backing Up to the Right

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 03:48 AM
KeysMako192
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds Like Rear End Binding When Backing Up to the Right

Morning All!!! been awhile since I've posted anything, but always lurking. I have a 2015 F350 6.7 DRW King Ranch with approx 12800 miles on it and have recently developed driveline noise which sounds like the rear axle is binding when backing up to the right. The truck has the 3.73 limited slip differential. Not sure what could be causing this. The front hubs are in "Auto" and the truck is not in 4-wheel drive. I don't notice the noise when moving forward, only when backing up to the right or left. Never noticed the noise when backing in a straight line. For whatever reason, when backing up to the left, the binding noise is not as prominent as when backing up to the right. Binding noise is most noticeable when front wheels are turned hard to the right. Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:36 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Due to the age and mileage of the truck I would be calling a dealer near you that you trust. Sorry I cannot help with the problem you are having, but even then if you got in there to try and repair the issue yourself, you may be upsetting the maintenance shop by doing something completely irrelevant to the problem.

It sucks to have to take your new truck back to the shop, but sometimes that is the way it goes.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:46 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Hate to think it's something this simple, but have you checked between the rear Dually tires or in the tread for anything that might be lodged in there? Also, you should put the truck in 4wd and lock the rear and then unlock it. Check your 4wd **** and make sure it's not pulled out (which would lock the rear axle.). If you have the rear locked, then it would most definitely sound like that.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:43 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KeysMako192
Morning All!!! been awhile since I've posted anything, but always lurking. I have a 2015 F350 6.7 DRW King Ranch with approx 12800 miles on it and have recently developed driveline noise which sounds like the rear axle is binding when backing up to the right...
I'd get this on the radar of your local Ford Dealership, KeysMako192. Additionally, I'll assist by looping in your regional customer service manager; they'll work with your dealer to ensure this is resolved. To proceed, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 01-15-2016, 10:24 AM
RedHorse1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My bet is on the limited slip diff.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:04 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Mine too RedHorse1. The elocker is either engaged because the 4WD **** is pulled out (there should also be a light on, on the IC so I doubt this is the issue) or it is stuck engaged.

Related to this could be a mechanical failure in rear axle 'pumpkin' or a loose connection for the elocker. Like maybe it was engaged and it never got the signal to disengage.

After checking and cycling in and out of 4WD and the e locker from locked to open, I would take it to the dealer. Shouldn't take them that long to diagnose. Repair time depends on what is wrong and parts availability.

Cycling to me means, changing the selection and driving until it is engaged/disengaged. Not just turning the know back and forth a couple of time while in park. My truck (and previous trucks) didn't need all that much space to do this. Most of the time it was accomplished in a 100' long driveway.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:20 PM
KeysMako192
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the replies guys. My 350 is a dually set up, so no E-locker on my truck. I will be taking my dually up to Gus Machado Ford of Kendall, Fl. on Monday and try and duplicate the noise for them.

For Crystal: Thank You Very Much for the reply. When I get home from work today, I will PM you requested details of my truck.

For All: Thanks Again to all for the help. I hope it ends up being something simple.

One possibility I failed to mention was "Sound Resonation" from underneath components????? Exhaust System Components????? Again unsure and this anomaly is only roughly 2 months old. Just now having time to address the anomaly with the dealership.
Thanks Again!!
Very Respectfully,
Will

Old 01-15-2016, 12:49 PM
KeysMako192
Mountain Pass
if not sound resonation or axle binding, the only other thing I can think of is if the "Clutch Packs" in the limited slip differential could be going bad......again, hopefully something simple, and hopefully the dealership can isolate the anomaly. Truly an awesome and great looking truck....hopefully nothing serious.
V/R
Will

Old 01-15-2016, 01:01 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KeysMako192
...For Crystal: Thank You Very Much for the reply. When I get home from work today, I will PM you requested details of my truck...
You're welcome, Will! I'll keep my eyes peeled for your message.

Crystal

Old 01-15-2016, 01:10 PM
KeysMako192
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by RedHorse1
My bet is on the limited slip diff.
Originally Posted by Dakster
Mine too RedHorse1. The elocker is either engaged because the 4WD **** is pulled out (there should also be a light on, on the IC so I doubt this is the issue) or it is stuck engaged.

Related to this could be a mechanical failure in rear axle 'pumpkin' or a loose connection for the elocker. Like maybe it was engaged and it never got the signal to disengage.

After checking and cycling in and out of 4WD and the e locker from locked to open, I would take it to the dealer. Shouldn't take them that long to diagnose. Repair time depends on what is wrong and parts availability.

Cycling to me means, changing the selection and driving until it is engaged/disengaged. Not just turning the know back and forth a couple of time while in park. My truck (and previous trucks) didn't need all that much space to do this. Most of the time it was accomplished in a 100' long driveway.

Thanks for the replies guys. Thus far I've tried everything I can think of with regards to thinking maybe the LSD would somehow be locked up. Again, no e-locker on my truck.......My work parking lot is pretty good size and I've gone both forward and backward a good distance, and yet the anomaly is still there.
Also noticed this morning, again with the front wheels turned hard to the left or right moving forward at idle and slightly above idle, I was hearing the same anomaly.
Leaving work. I'll be back on later.
V/R
Will

Old 01-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
I am currently staying just a few miles away from gus machado ford of kendall....

As long as he hasn't left they have one really good diesel tech. And one good but cranky one.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:29 PM
KeysMako192
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Dakster
I am currently staying just a few miles away from gus machado ford of kendall....

As long as he hasn't left they have one really good diesel tech. And one good but cranky one.

Thanks Dakster!!! I'll be up there early Monday morning when they open up. Not worried about the cranky one should he be the one I meet, just so long as he is professional in nature, that's what I like.

Thanks Again!!

Old 01-15-2016, 04:32 PM
KeysMako192
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by FordService

Crystal

Crystal, I'm ready to submit my information, however, when I try to PM, the site is telling me I don't have sufficient privileges yet.

V/R
Will

Old 01-15-2016, 04:47 PM
KeysMako192
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by FordService

Crystal
Crystal, the site says I'm currently unable to PM you......with that being said, my Gmail address is keysmako192@gmail.com

V/R
Will

Old 01-15-2016, 04:52 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
He is easy to work with, just isn't cheerful... They are a fairly large dealership in the area. Glad you are going there instead of Armstrong Ford, which is a smaller dealership. I haven't had an issue with Armstrong, other than a not as good a feeling when I am there.

I've gotten a lot of vehicles serviced at that location over the years. Glad you made an appointment, they get backed up and I have been turned away for routine service before.

Not sure who is there any more as the last time I had a vehicle serviced there was in the first part of 2014, right before I drove my 2011 F350 to Alaska.

Quick Reply: Sounds Like Rear End Binding When Backing Up to the Right