6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

What a strange Issue, Do I need a Miracle :)

Old 01-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Martyn Allison
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a strange Issue, Do I need a Miracle :)

Hi there I realllllly hope some one can help me out here,

I have the strangest truck, 2008 F350 king Ranch, I just purchased it off an insurance company, it had vandal damage, basically sugar in the tank,, well cleansed all that out and flushed all the pipes to the engine, replaced the low pressure fuel pump and getting good fuel to the engine now, the Sugar never got past the upper filter thank goodness.

Any how,, here is the odd thing.

It looks like the previous owner was in the process of putting back the EGR system, the reason I say this is that the EGR lump on the top of the engine is there but not connected and the 2 coolers are disconnected but no block off plates fitted, under the truck there is some soot on the drivers side that I have cleansed off. Also I noticed the CAT and DPF are not there, its a straight through 4 to 5" pipe,, all sensors disconnected and missing.

That by itself will cause a no start situation I believe?

Well the truck will not crank from the key, I can do the ignition bypass wire and the truck will crank but I dont believe its firing?

What can I do? I have an F250 with EGR, DPF and CAT deleted, I have a Mini Max HD on that,, as I seem to remember that was the only thing I could use to get it started and reprogram the truck?

FYI the codes I get are P0546 / P2033 / P242D / P0405 / P2455 / P1335 / P0193 / P0101 / P0118 / P0107 most relating to the EGR and Exhaust sensors.

I hope some one can throw me a bone here so I can get my new to me truck up and running.

THANK YOU so much.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:06 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait... So there are no blocking plates in the crossover pipe or the intake? You may want to address that before you ever try and start the truck...

Second, is your minimax delete capable or is it emissions compliant?

Old 01-14-2016, 06:30 PM
Martyn Allison
Freshman User
Hi Matthew
your right, there are no blocking plates on the crossover nor the intake, I have a spare brand new egr delete kit here I can fit this weekend

my current minimax HD is delete capable

Thank you for taking the time to respond,, I cant work out if it had an EGR deleted or the previous owner was doing it, I am guessing as it was an insurance claim he was trying to return it back to stock, good thing is he has left the coolers off so basically all the hard work has already been done

So let me guess, when I have the EGR delete kit fitted,, it will still not start until I put a programmer on it with delete like my Minimax HD, am I right to think that?

Back to you
Best Regards

Old 01-14-2016, 07:00 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you must tune it. The truck might start once but it won't be happy. Once you shut down it will effectively lock you out for a set period of time as a safety measure.

Whatever tune you run must delete the egr and dpf...

Old 01-15-2016, 04:47 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have a delete H&S mini max the EGR will automatically be turned off, only way they work, unless the new ones are different than the originals.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:30 AM
Martyn Allison
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CrazySob
Yes, you must tune it. The truck might start once but it won't be happy. Once you shut down it will effectively lock you out for a set period of time as a safety measure.

Whatever tune you run must delete the egr and dpf...
Thanks Guys for your input,

thats what I thought as I seem to remember my 250 doing the exact same thing, this new to me Blue Truck will not even fire, or crank using the key yet, the black one did the same thing, when I put the mini max on it all changed, and boy what a change it was, I suspect this will be the same?

I hope so anyway,, I will try and get the EGR delete kit I have here fitted this weekend and put the Minimax from my black to the blue truck and see what happens, I will have to remove and return the minimax to original by un-programming my black truck that I will suspect will die then until I have confirmed the blue truck is up and running.

Just out of interest, what EGR/DPF/CAT delete programmers are Yall running?

Old 01-15-2016, 07:17 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Martyn Allison

FYI the codes I get are P0546 / P2033 / P242D / P0405 / P2455 / P1335 / P0193 / P0101 / P0118 / P0107 most relating to the EGR and Exhaust sensors.

HANK YOU so much.
This looks inline with not having a EGR delete tune. Make sure the tune you have has the EGR delete.

Did the owner put the DPF back on the truck? You may have checked but if you haven't i would make sure because all the EGR delete tunes i have seen also delete the DPF.

Originally Posted by Martyn Allison
under the truck there is some soot on the drivers side that I have cleansed off.
was this soot on the frame rail on the drivers side below the exhaust manifold, if it was there was a company that made a wastegate/blowoff valve that attached to the same location the lower erg cooler attached to. The company was wide open performance, but they no longer offer the part. It lower the turbo drive pressure buy opening at a preset pressure to prevent the turbos from being over drivin, one thing it would also do is soot up that side of the truck. They work really well as the 6.4 turbos lose there efficiency above 40-42 boost pressure, when you here guys saying they have over that like 50+ there over driving the turbos well outside there efficiency range which results in High EGTS, higher AIR temp and reduced life of the turbo. The engine actual build for HP with less boost operating the turbos in there efficient range.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:37 AM
Martyn Allison
Freshman User
SANDDEMON08 thanks for your response, no the DPF and CAT are all gone, it has a straight through pipe so my guess is the previous owner removed the EGR kit due to the insurnace claim not wanting them to see he had a modded truck?
I wish I had a garage as its cold this weekend with snow forecast but I plan to get the EGR delete kit fitted, I have a minimax HD tuner on my other truck I will unprogram and put on the 350 and keep my fingers crossed it will start, I need this truck as my 250 has just got a solenoid D issue in the transmission,, easy exchange of solenoid but puts me out of action for a few days
Have a good weekend

Old 01-16-2016, 11:22 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks like I'm a little late to the party here, and it looks like you got help too!

Just my $.02 when I did the deletes on mine it did the same thing. I had all the fuel system apart and all so it took quite a while of cranking to fire. I thought I would fire it up once or twice before flashed in the tune.

Anyway, it cranked and cranked... then suddenly just like that it refused to crank. Nothing at all. And yes, one can bypass the ignition and make it crank again by direct powering the starter relay, but apart from the PCM doing its job it won't even begin to fire.

So anyhow, I was a little worried... but I thought I had to tune it anyway so I got my MiniMaxx, flashed in the tune and then it was willing to crank again.

After a little more cranking it fired right up!

So until you've flashed the tune in, there's no reason to stress!

Old 01-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Martyn Allison
Freshman User
73fan, Thank you, I seem to remember my 08 F250 I have not do a darn thing until I tuned it, I know the engine cranks on the blue 08 F350 were talking about, I did the wire to battery with ignition on so it cranks just fine, I have to go out today and get 4 bolts to finish fitting the EGR Delete then with fingers and toes crossed I really hope to get her up and running, I have had a nighmare of a task with this truck,, i found a bunch of sugar in the tank so had to drop the tank, and clean out all the fuel rails, I ended up replacing the low pressure fuel punp, throwing away all filters and taking the upper filter assembly apart and cleansing it too, I have good fuel flow to the upper filter now and cant see any sugar got past that (by the way this happened before I got the truck) i i would love to hear this thing up and running by tonight, I will let you know I appreciate your input

Old 01-17-2016, 04:15 PM
Martyn Allison
Freshman User
Well EGR delete went well, just took longer then I had hoped, its darn cold working outside in sob freezing temps,, I took the minimax off the 250 and returned it to stock and programmed the 350,, nope turn the key will not start did the wire trick and it turns ofer and fires when I put starter fluid in the intake,, but thats it scratching my head now
no error codes
any ideas?
the red padlock with car inside stays on hinting its a security module issue,, when you do turn the key you hear the relay tick in the passenger foot well

Old 01-19-2016, 07:18 AM
Martyn Allison
Freshman User
Update, Finally got an error code P1260, the truck now thinks its stolen hahaha,, ok the PATS system does not see the key,, so now to go find a locksmith who can program a new key to the PATS system,, then,, hopefully it will fire up and run

Old 01-25-2016, 08:49 AM
Martyn Allison
Freshman User
ok locksmith came out,, spent 2 hours on getting a cay programmed, he was on the phone to tech support most of that time, left me with a key and said the truck has to go to a dealer as he believes the antenna is broken?
now its in 18" of snow so its not able to be pulled anywhere until it thaws