Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranks won't start...Need a Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 04:45 PM
F350AK
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I'm back and about to go insane.

I've been on this truck for another 6 hours today and I can't seem to clear this flood.

Started off this morning putting some oil in each cylinder and then cranking it over a bit to to try and push the fuel out. I did this about 5 times. Changed the oil, again because it still smelled of fuel, and put her all back together. Tried starting with FP relay out, nothing. And the same with it in.
Pulled it all back apart and repeat. This time, especially out of the #4 cylinder, I had a lot of fuel being pushed out. All back together and nothing.
Long story short, I did this all two more times, minus the oil change. I did even go as far as to dry off the plugs with a heat gun this last time though before reassembly.
The second to last time I got no fuel coming out of the cylinders when I'd crank over.
This last time, I've got it spraying out again especially out of #4 again. Plugs from cylinders 1,2,3,4,6,8 are wet, 5&7 not at all.
I've got 40 PSI at the rail, dead on, with jumping the FP to stay running with the KOEO.

Am I missing something here? Is it possible it is STILL flooded? Do I have a bad injector(s)?
I pulled all the plugs and tested them themselves for spark off of their respective wires. They're sparking fine.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:11 PM
stephandrusty
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read these posts over and over, I had a problem that sounded just like yours.Make sure your plug wires are in correct order. You said you have a c6 transmission. Just for fun, check that you are not sucking transmission fluid into your intake by way of the vac. line going to the transmission . Kind of a long shot but worth a look. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:16 PM
F350AK
Junior User
I've done everything again, twice, but this time I did not put the FP relay in at all. Both times my plugs are not wet and I'm definitely not getting any more fuel to push out of the cylinders. This is leading to thoughts in my head of something wrong with the injectors? At this point I have no idea to be honest and am just grasping at straws. The oil on the dipstick still smells like fuel though. I've changed it 3 times!!!

Old 01-20-2016, 06:19 PM
F350AK
Junior User
Also, when I changed the oil, it seemed to back up when I'd refill it. I.E. take a long time to filter into the engine and almost over flow the fill. Again, just grasping at straws here but I've never experienced that before.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:36 PM
stephandrusty
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is code 556 the only code you are getting ?

Old 01-20-2016, 08:02 PM
F350AK
Junior User
I got a 114 as well. ACT outside test limits.....

Old 01-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hook your fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure bleed down. Turn the key on, it should pressurize to 40 PSI and then hold there.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey guys,

perhaps I missed something earlier on in the thread, but i don't actually see where you sprayed starting fluid into the intake, with the fuel pump relay out.

just my observation though.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:42 PM
F350AK
Junior User
Fuel pressure is dead on 40.
I had sprayed starting fluid in the intake awhile back.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:46 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014
Second, you verified you have spark, but it will not even fire with fuel sprayed into the intake. Either the engine has flooded from too much fuel, possibly related to the high fuel pressure reading, or the timing is so far off that the mixture will not light. Possible cause may include a jumped timing chain.
I went back to the top and started re-reading.

So at this point.
1. You know you have fuel pressure at the rail.
2. Fuel is getting into the cylinders, but it may be too much fuel. However, if that was the case, with out the relay in, using starter fluid in the intake, I would believe that the engine would catch for a few revolutions at least.
3. Your compression reading show lower than expected, but still with in 10-15% of each other.
4. You have tested spark, you are getting spark between the dizzy and the plug, and you have it.
5. You've verified ignition timing and the firing order, with the SPOUT connector removed (i believe you have a SPOUT connector, I may be wrong).

SPOUT CONNECTOR:

If 1-5 are all correct, then I commend you on your patience, and I think your next step is to pull the timing cover, I've seen tech's who know what they are doing line up the cam and crank 180 degrees out, just because they were used to lining up the timing marks both at the top of the engine, rather than pointing towards each other, and just had a brain dead moment.

Anyone, if I'm incorrect about his SPOUT connector, or the timing marks, please chime in before he pulls his timing cover off!

Old 01-21-2016, 03:51 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by F350AK
Fuel pressure is dead on 40.
I had sprayed starting fluid in the intake awhile back.
But did you do it after drying cylinders out fresh oil and with the trucks fuel system disabled via pulling FPR, all pressure bled off to nothing?

Did you try starting fluid then?

If it runs that would show the trucks fuel system as the sole cause of the no start condition.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:17 PM
rbohm
Senior User
i didnt see where anyone suggested the crank position sensor. when my old 83 grand marquis would start, that was the problem.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:32 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by rbohm
i didnt see where anyone suggested the crank position sensor. when my old 83 grand marquis would start, that was the problem.
With spark the PIP sensor should be OK at this point.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:36 AM
F350AK
Junior User
Thank you for the tips guys.
I had to take the day off yesterday to keep my sanity intact.
I'm going to go out in a bit and try a couple of your suggestions. I'm going to stay away from pulling the timing cover for now though. I'm doing this all in the driveway and it's only been averaging about 15* so it hasn't been the most fun thing in the world to be tinkering with this outside in these temps.
To say the least I'm beyond frustrated at this point.
Looking back and going over this in my head I don't know how many times, I think the question that gets to the source of the issue, whatever it is, is as follows.
What problem would a new fuel pump fix temporarily, twice? Because that's really where I'm at at the moment. Gentleman I bought it from changed the fuel pump and she ran great. I got it home and it started acting up, changed the fuel pump(s) and again she ran great, for a little while. Fuel pump started to whine one day and the next we're at where we still are, won't start and another fuel pump didn't fix it this time.
Timing? While I don't think it's impossible, I just don't really see it in this case. Like I said she ran great the last time she started, but then the next day wouldn't start. She would've had to jump time somewhere over night and again I just don't see it.
I do think the issue is still somewhere in the fuel system. Where exactly I'm not sure. I'm going to go out and try to pull codes again first thing this morning when it gets light. If nothing's changed there I'll just continue on seeing if she'll fire under controlled experiments. I'm staying positive here because I know she'll run and do it well once I get this figured out. She's only got 80K on her and I hope to get her back on the road here sooner than later. Unfortunately I've got to go back to work for 3 weeks on Sunday so time is running short.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:59 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by F350AK
Thank you for the tips guys.
I had to take the day off yesterday to keep my sanity intact.
I'm going to go out in a bit and try a couple of your suggestions. I'm going to stay away from pulling the timing cover for now though. I'm doing this all in the driveway and it's only been averaging about 15* so it hasn't been the most fun thing in the world to be tinkering with this outside in these temps.
To say the least I'm beyond frustrated at this point.
Looking back and going over this in my head I don't know how many times, I think the question that gets to the source of the issue, whatever it is, is as follows.
What problem would a new fuel pump fix temporarily, twice? Because that's really where I'm at at the moment. Gentleman I bought it from changed the fuel pump and she ran great. I got it home and it started acting up, changed the fuel pump(s) and again she ran great, for a little while. Fuel pump started to whine one day and the next we're at where we still are, won't start and another fuel pump didn't fix it this time.
Timing? While I don't think it's impossible, I just don't really see it in this case. Like I said she ran great the last time she started, but then the next day wouldn't start. She would've had to jump time somewhere over night and again I just don't see it.
I do think the issue is still somewhere in the fuel system. Where exactly I'm not sure. I'm going to go out and try to pull codes again first thing this morning when it gets light. If nothing's changed there I'll just continue on seeing if she'll fire under controlled experiments. I'm staying positive here because I know she'll run and do it well once I get this figured out. She's only got 80K on her and I hope to get her back on the road here sooner than later. Unfortunately I've got to go back to work for 3 weeks on Sunday so time is running short.

Do you have a SPOUT connector? Did you disconnect it while checking the engine timing? Based on the information provided, I do not believe you have a fuel problem.

Quick Reply: Cranks won't start...Need a Checklist