Where is the ignition relay? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the ignition relay?

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 01-13-2016, 03:53 PM
bouncdchk
bouncdchk is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9
bouncdchk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where is the ignition relay?

I purchased one of the No Start relay for my 2000 Ford F-250 Turbo diesel and need assistance finding the relay to replace.

Originally I thought it was for the fuel pump then then discovered it replaces the ignition relay.

According to the company it's located on the passenger side under the hood. Can't find any fuses there.

I looked in the user manual and found nothing about an ignition relay. Just "PCM Relay Coil, Ignition Coil (Gasoline only), Fuel Heater (Diesel only), Wastegate Solenoid (Diesel only), Injector Driver Module Relay Coil"

Any thoughts?

The relay I purchased is from: "No Start" Relay, "No-Start" Intelligent Relay System, Vehicle Theft Deterrent

Any help would be much appreciated.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-13-2016, 03:55 PM
carbonfootprint's Avatar
carbonfootprint
carbonfootprint is offline
Freshman User
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43
carbonfootprint is starting off with a positive reputation.
i just installed a cyclops.....i used the IDM relay
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-13-2016, 04:40 PM
SMT_FORD
SMT_FORD is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 86
SMT_FORD has a good reputation on FTE.SMT_FORD has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by carbonfootprint View Post
i just installed a cyclops.....i used the IDM relay

Had a buddy who just has his stolen a week before Thanksgiving in LA at a Hotel on his way to FL with a Cyclops AND an Alarm System.


Only had 10k on a completely rebuilt engine and transmission.


The Truck was located in south Texas just before Christmas somewhere by the boarder. He asked for reports and pictures and such but hasn't seen either as yet. The Insurance won't even talk to him without a report.


Police said the thieves lay in wait for big trucks like ours and use a grabber or something to that effect and open the doors and start the vehicle with it when you're out of sight with a screwdriver.


He had just went in, checked in, walked out and got a suite case or bag, went to his room on the first floor twenty feet or so from the front desk, then back outside for a Cigarette and noticed the spot where he parked was empty. Maybe 10 - 15 minutes total at 6:00 pm.


If they want it, they'll get it. We just try to make it as difficult as possible.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-14-2016, 10:59 AM
bouncdchk
bouncdchk is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9
bouncdchk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by carbonfootprint View Post
i just installed a cyclops.....i used the IDM relay
That's the Injector Driver module correct? And if I'm reading my manual correctly that's position 27 on the drivers side in the engine compartment right?

I just want to make sure I'm not replacing a relay that could fry the computer or something.

Thanks!
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-14-2016, 03:38 PM
carbonfootprint's Avatar
carbonfootprint
carbonfootprint is offline
Freshman User
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43
carbonfootprint is starting off with a positive reputation.
no, interior fuse panel.....i think it was relay location #303 on the fuse box...i have a 2002, not sure if all fuse panels are the same
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-14-2016, 03:45 PM
carbonfootprint's Avatar
carbonfootprint
carbonfootprint is offline
Freshman User
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43
carbonfootprint is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by SMT_FORD View Post
Had a buddy who just has his stolen a week before Thanksgiving in LA at a Hotel on his way to FL with a Cyclops AND an Alarm System.


Only had 10k on a completely rebuilt engine and transmission.


The Truck was located in south Texas just before Christmas somewhere by the boarder. He asked for reports and pictures and such but hasn't seen either as yet. The Insurance won't even talk to him without a report.


Police said the thieves lay in wait for big trucks like ours and use a grabber or something to that effect and open the doors and start the vehicle with it when you're out of sight with a screwdriver.


He had just went in, checked in, walked out and got a suite case or bag, went to his room on the first floor twenty feet or so from the front desk, then back outside for a Cigarette and noticed the spot where he parked was empty. Maybe 10 - 15 minutes total at 6:00 pm.


If they want it, they'll get it. We just try to make it as difficult as possible.

that blows....man, first 15 minutes at the hotel, any cameras at this place.....or did you get the same story as the wife....
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2016, 06:04 PM
Shake-N-Bake's Avatar
Shake-N-Bake
Shake-N-Bake is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 6,071
Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by bouncdchk View Post
That's the Injector Driver module correct? And if I'm reading my manual correctly that's position 27 on the drivers side in the engine compartment right?

I just want to make sure I'm not replacing a relay that could fry the computer or something.

Thanks!
Sounds about right. 99-01 will have the IDM relay under the hood. Here is a photo that came from SpringerPops engine dis abler write up.
 
Attached Images  
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-28-2016, 08:01 AM
bouncdchk
bouncdchk is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9
bouncdchk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks ya' all!!

After reading all the replies and topics around the web I thought it best to install with the PCM. A lot of people were saying installing it with the IDM was causing their trucks to run rough for some reason but they had no problems with the PCM.

So, now my truck is a little safer. If they're really determined I'm sure they'll get it but hopefully they won't have time to.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
swihart_art
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
7
08-21-2017 07:36 PM
78 & 87 Super Cab
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
17
09-02-2016 08:01 PM
53fatfndr
335 Series- 5.8/351M, 6.6/400, 351 Cleveland
9
08-03-2016 10:36 AM
Alex Wuerz
New Member Introductions
0
04-27-2016 05:25 PM
Curtis A Paul
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
19
04-10-2016 03:35 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is the ignition relay?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.