Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the ignition relay?

Old 01-13-2016, 03:53 PM
bouncdchk
New User
bouncdchk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where is the ignition relay?

I purchased one of the No Start relay for my 2000 Ford F-250 Turbo diesel and need assistance finding the relay to replace.

Originally I thought it was for the fuel pump then then discovered it replaces the ignition relay.

According to the company it's located on the passenger side under the hood. Can't find any fuses there.

I looked in the user manual and found nothing about an ignition relay. Just "PCM Relay Coil, Ignition Coil (Gasoline only), Fuel Heater (Diesel only), Wastegate Solenoid (Diesel only), Injector Driver Module Relay Coil"

Any thoughts?

The relay I purchased is from: "No Start" Relay, "No-Start" Intelligent Relay System, Vehicle Theft Deterrent

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:55 PM
carbonfootprint
Freshman User
carbonfootprint is starting off with a positive reputation.
i just installed a cyclops.....i used the IDM relay

Old 01-13-2016, 04:40 PM
SMT_FORD
Junior User
SMT_FORD has a good reputation on FTE.SMT_FORD has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by carbonfootprint View Post

Had a buddy who just has his stolen a week before Thanksgiving in LA at a Hotel on his way to FL with a Cyclops AND an Alarm System.

Only had 10k on a completely rebuilt engine and transmission.

The Truck was located in south Texas just before Christmas somewhere by the boarder. He asked for reports and pictures and such but hasn't seen either as yet. The Insurance won't even talk to him without a report.

Police said the thieves lay in wait for big trucks like ours and use a grabber or something to that effect and open the doors and start the vehicle with it when you're out of sight with a screwdriver.

He had just went in, checked in, walked out and got a suite case or bag, went to his room on the first floor twenty feet or so from the front desk, then back outside for a Cigarette and noticed the spot where he parked was empty. Maybe 10 - 15 minutes total at 6:00 pm.

If they want it, they'll get it. We just try to make it as difficult as possible.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:59 AM
bouncdchk
New User
Originally Posted by carbonfootprint View Post
That's the Injector Driver module correct? And if I'm reading my manual correctly that's position 27 on the drivers side in the engine compartment right?

I just want to make sure I'm not replacing a relay that could fry the computer or something.

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2016, 03:38 PM
carbonfootprint
Freshman User
no, interior fuse panel.....i think it was relay location #303 on the fuse box...i have a 2002, not sure if all fuse panels are the same

Old 01-14-2016, 03:45 PM
carbonfootprint
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SMT_FORD View Post
Had a buddy who just has his stolen a week before Thanksgiving in LA at a Hotel on his way to FL with a Cyclops AND an Alarm System.

Only had 10k on a completely rebuilt engine and transmission.

The Truck was located in south Texas just before Christmas somewhere by the boarder. He asked for reports and pictures and such but hasn't seen either as yet. The Insurance won't even talk to him without a report.

Police said the thieves lay in wait for big trucks like ours and use a grabber or something to that effect and open the doors and start the vehicle with it when you're out of sight with a screwdriver.

He had just went in, checked in, walked out and got a suite case or bag, went to his room on the first floor twenty feet or so from the front desk, then back outside for a Cigarette and noticed the spot where he parked was empty. Maybe 10 - 15 minutes total at 6:00 pm.

If they want it, they'll get it. We just try to make it as difficult as possible.

that blows....man, first 15 minutes at the hotel, any cameras at this place.....or did you get the same story as the wife....

Old 01-14-2016, 06:04 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend
Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by bouncdchk View Post
That's the Injector Driver module correct? And if I'm reading my manual correctly that's position 27 on the drivers side in the engine compartment right?

I just want to make sure I'm not replacing a relay that could fry the computer or something.

Thanks!
Sounds about right. 99-01 will have the IDM relay under the hood. Here is a photo that came from SpringerPops engine dis abler write up.

Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2016, 08:01 AM
bouncdchk
New User
Thanks ya' all!!

After reading all the replies and topics around the web I thought it best to install with the PCM. A lot of people were saying installing it with the IDM was causing their trucks to run rough for some reason but they had no problems with the PCM.

So, now my truck is a little safer. If they're really determined I'm sure they'll get it but hopefully they won't have time to.