1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Success at last

Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Success at last

For the benefit of anyone who has seen or read my constant posts about problems with my AOD please read on. This transmission was rebuilt front to rear, top to bottom and also has a shift kit from Baumann Electronics. It should be more than enough to handle the torque/power from a well built 351C. I have had constant problems with early shifts, too soon into overdrive and jerky, erratic downshifts. The linkage with the Weber carbs is kind of complex and has been adjusted numerous times with the aid of Lokar and lots of "experts" in the transmission business. Yesterday (Jan 12) I took it in for yet another expert to look at it. I explained the problem as I have so many times before and afterward, while standing in the customer waiting area I heard a familiar exhaust rumble. I looked out the window to see my truck being driven out of the lot. I watched with all the fears that seeing your child kidnapped can generate and 25 minutes later I was still waiting when finally it came back, unscathed. The trans guy handed me my keys and said "It's beautiful, go try it" I had the easiest, most pleasurable drive ever in this truck and when I returned and demanded to know the fix he just showed me an allen wrench and said that most of the experts just don't know how to mis-adjust a TV cable. He refused payment and told me to have a nice day.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Great news! He just knew how to tweak it? He made your day and didn't even charge you for it. Customer for life...

Old 01-13-2016, 10:42 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
Glad to hear that you have gotten your AOD/TV issues resolved. This whole TV cable adjustment is like voodoo to many but in reality it is fairly straightforward once it is understood. I like this video,
, I found it while searching for some Lokar installation tips. One of the epiphanies that I had was learning that the TV function in an AOD is like the clutch in a stick shift setup...if you dump the clutch you get a fast jumpy start but if you never fully release the clutch you get slipping at higher RPMs and ultimately fry the clutch. In the case of the AOD the "clutch" is multiple clutches and usually means a teardown/rebuild. Once again, glad to hear you're back on the road and smiling!

Old 01-13-2016, 11:26 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
It would be nice to know how he "mis-adjusted" it for future reference (i.e., what pressure he set it to). Can't argue with results!

Old 01-13-2016, 01:11 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
It would be nice to know how he "mis-adjusted" it for future reference (i.e., what pressure he set it to). Can't argue with results!
I am going to hook up to the TV port on the side of the trans and measure the pressures in park, neutral and drive just to see what I come up with. I have even thought about putting an electronic pressure gauge in and running it into the cab so I can see what it does in all kinds of driving conditions. I have been too busy getting ready for the Nats West to get to it right now but I'm working on it.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:52 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's good to read that you got your AOD working right. There has been several threads about temperamental AOD's over the years, and I never fully understood why. The video that Charlie posted was very good at explaining how to properly set one up. I think this thread will be very helpful to many in the future. Great thread.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:46 PM
James888
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was it set up to the "documented specs/ pressure" prior to taking it to this last person?
Will you be able to establish what he has done once you do a pressure test

Old 01-13-2016, 05:59 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Congrats!!
What a relief to finally be able to drive your truck and enjoy it

Let me be the first to tip the proverbial "frosty beverage" in your honor!

Bobby