1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

First Van Restoration/Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 01:03 AM
az.g.denver
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Van Restoration/Project

Hey all. This is my first project like this. I've done paint and body before, but looking for details on 2 things for my van.

What BIG motors can I put into this thing?

Got a wild hair up my *** about sticking a v10 from an excursion in there (but I doubt it), or any other ideas? I have the 1975 E350 with the small block V8. Looking for a motor I can get, "newer" for much more power and reliability. I am ideally looking for a motor (I don't care about gas mileage) that will produce stupid power, but I don't want to spend a lot so a bang for my buck motor.

Also, how in the hell do ya'll lift this behemoth?!.... Im wanting to go up 4"

Old 01-13-2016, 05:12 AM
Riverdadd
New User
i find the search function very helpful in this forum. i've read several and most all the topics im interested in have been found with a few key words. i know u can find several threads on 4x4 vans.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:00 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by az.g.denver
Hey all. This is my first project like this. I've done paint and body before, but looking for details on 2 things for my van.

What BIG motors can I put into this thing?

Got a wild hair up my *** about sticking a v10 from an excursion in there (but I doubt it), or any other ideas? I have the 1975 E350 with the small block V8. Looking for a motor I can get, "newer" for much more power and reliability. I am ideally looking for a motor (I don't care about gas mileage) that will produce stupid power, but I don't want to spend a lot so a bang for my buck motor.

Also, how in the hell do ya'll lift this behemoth?!.... Im wanting to go up 4"
Hi Az, my first thought is that small block V8 Fords can be set up for "stupid" power, mostly in retrofit classic Mustangs. I would search a few Mustang websites for ideas about doing FI conversions to classic Mustangs. The "footprint" for Ford V8 would reduce the amount of issues with lack of space in the van engine area.

I am lazy. The easier I can make the job, the better I like it. :-)
Good luck.
jim

Old 01-14-2016, 12:13 AM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
460 , 460, 460. minor tweaks and it is one scary powerfull vehicle.

I prefer the big diesels but my fuel is double the cost of yours...............

Old 01-14-2016, 08:21 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Go with a 460, which is probably narrower than any of the mod motors (4.6, 5.4, 6.8 V10) and shorter and cheaper. OEM conversion parts available.

Lifting correctly is expensive. Check out Camburg for ideas although their kits are only for later vans: Camburg Ford E-Series 250/350 Van 2wd 97-04 Trail Series Kit

Good luck,
George

Old 01-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Mark T-TB
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jimandnena
Hi Az, my first thought is that small block V8 Fords can be set up for "stupid" power, mostly in retrofit classic Mustangs. I would search a few Mustang websites for ideas about doing FI conversions to classic Mustangs. The "footprint" for Ford V8 would reduce the amount of issues with lack of space in the van engine area.

I am lazy. The easier I can make the job, the better I like it. :-)
Good luck.
jim
+1
Depending on what you like, I'm pretty sure that there are now stroker [302-based] "small blocks" up to at least 363 cubes and 500 hp out of the box.
400 hp+ and 400 ft-lb is pretty common even with the "run of the mill" 331 strokers today.
Have fun.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:11 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark T-TB
+1
Depending on what you like, I'm pretty sure that there are now stroker "small blocks" up to at least 363 cubes and 500 hp out of the box.
400 hp+ and 400 ft-lb is pretty common even with the "run of the mill" 331 strokers today.
Have fun.
I've seen 351W strokers that were 450+ cubic inches.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:16 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
For a heavy vehicle like a van, big cubic inches with lots of low end torque is where I would go...

In my past are a number of big block muscle cars including 2 426 hemi cars and I remember how they used to just "squirt around" despite not being all that light. A 460 came stock in that van body and chassis, so if you are changing out the engine and trans fully, just put a big block in it. No adaptation like you'd have with the V10, and lots of aftermarket parts.

I am amazed at what the small blocks are putting out and I'd love one in an old Mustang or something like that. But to get to the torque, you've got to be spinning the engine at 5000 rpms. If a 3.5 Ecoboost transplant was possible, that might be cool...

George

Old 01-15-2016, 03:27 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
For a heavy vehicle like a van, big cubic inches with lots of low end torque is where I would go...

In my past are a number of big block muscle cars including 2 426 hemi cars and I remember how they used to just "squirt around" despite not being all that light. A 460 came stock in that van body and chassis, so if you are changing out the engine and trans fully, just put a big block in it. No adaptation like you'd have with the V10, and lots of aftermarket parts.

I am amazed at what the small blocks are putting out and I'd love one in an old Mustang or something like that. But to get to the torque, you've got to be spinning the engine at 5000 rpms. If a 3.5 Ecoboost transplant was possible, that might be cool...

George
What difference would it make if it's a 351W stroker with 450+ cubes or a 460? It's almost the same cubes just in a smaller, lighter, easier to work on package. I don't know what the stroke difference would be between the big Windsor stroker and a 460. But the 460 would be cheaper.

I've pulled a 460 out of an Econoline. That was not fun!! I can just imagine how bad a mod motor would be. But the V10 would be cool.

The Ecoboost is cool, but with the mileage it would get you might as well run the 460.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:49 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by fordman75
What difference would it make if it's a 351W stroker with 450+ cubes or a 460? It's almost the same cubes just in a smaller, lighter, easier to work on package. I don't know what the stroke difference would be between the big Windsor stroker and a 460. But the 460 would be cheaper.

I've pulled a 460 out of an Econoline. That was not fun!! I can just imagine how bad a mod motor would be. But the V10 would be cool.

The Ecoboost is cool, but with the mileage it would get you might as well run the 460.
The OP asked for big power and low budget and said it's his first mechanical project like this. You just said yourself that the 460 would be cheaper, so bingo.

Ecoboost is out due to price for sure, as would be any other new crate engine. Lots of old Lincolns out there with 460's in them...

George

Old 01-16-2016, 04:17 AM
az.g.denver
New User
Thanks for all the input. getting plenty of ideas so far.

I like the site that was posted but still not sure I can dump $2,700 in just a lift anytime soon. #childsupport :/

460 is probably what I'm going to go with.

Any ideas on rebuilds for the 351W? like just making this old *** motor more reliable as it sits?

Also, thoughts on reverse shackle lift on the econoline? Haven't done any research on it but a local said it could get up to 8" of lift?!

Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Lifting an Econoline gets complex in terms of the front suspension in particular. A good lift kit will run $3000. What is the point of the lift?

What is unreliable about your current engine? I will note that your van is pretty darn old so if the engine is sick you should definitely consider rebuilding or replacing it. Question is how much you are able to do yourself. You are in the Carburetor Age so things are a bit easier to change around and adapt, but you can still run up a big tab when you start changing things that are worn out and tired.

If $2700 makes you choke you might consider just buying a newer "daily driver" vehicle and putting the van on hold. Really, vans don't usually make for gratifying hot rods and souping one up just because you have it might warrant some second thoughts.

George

Old 01-16-2016, 11:42 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by az.g.denver

Any ideas on rebuilds for the 351W? like just making this old *** motor more reliable as it sits?
The 351W is a pretty damn reliable engine. My 96 E250 has a 351W with around 250,000 on it. It's never been rebuilt and I've never had an issue with the engine itself. I've had to replace the starter and alternator but never needed to do any work to the engine.

You have to remember the older engines have a lot less parts and electronics. So there is actually less that can go wrong when compared to the newer stuff.

On a 75 if the engine itself is healthy the main things that could give you trouble on the 351W is the fuel system ( carb, filter, pump, lines & tank ) , ignition/electrical system, the cooling system and gaskets and seals.

The cheapest solution to your van engine is use the one under your hood or replace it with the same as what's there. You can add a lot of power to your 351W with an intake, cam, if it's in your budget a pair of performance heads and freer flowing exhaust.

If you want "stupid power" you are going to pay stupid $$$'s to get it. If you are working on a budget then maybe dial back the expectations a little. And possibly do a little bit of the work at a time. As you get the cash, then do more mods.

Just remember if you change to a different type of engine. Like going to a 460 from a 351W. You are going to have to change almost everything. You will have to change motor mounts, including the frame perches/towers. You'll need a larger radiator. New exhaust system. A different transmission ( and possibly the driveshaft ) . So there's a lot more $$ involved with doing an engine swap then just what the engine itself is going to cost. I know all about this because I'm in the parts collecting phase of doing an engine swap on my 89 E350.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:32 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
ive driven v10 and a modified 460 mild andthe 460 impressed me much more then a stock v10

Old 01-17-2016, 12:32 AM
gman97005
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman75
The 351W is a pretty damn reliable engine.
x 2, my money would go to a 5.8

you can buy heads, cam, lifters, chain and gears, gaskets for about $1500 and DIY, speed density efi is just fine if you don't get carried away..

add the edelbrock truck intake for $760, BBK throttle body for $350 but you can find em used for $250, larger injectors for $300, headers and exhaust for $1,000,,,,, up to almost $4,000 just in parts and we haven't got into the ignition or ECM yet so let's call it $5,000 in parts..

or buy a 385hp crate engine for under $6,000 and get a warranty..

or buy a long block etc etc...

BBF's are heavy and expensive to build and add lots of weight to the front end, the windsor is a win win any way you look it

Quick Reply: First Van Restoration/Project