1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Automatic trans harness in a manual trans truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 09:59 PM
straight-shot
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic trans harness in a manual trans truck?

I am putting my truck back together after paint and am running into a problem with my wiring harness. The truck is a 1970 f250 hiboy with a 4 speed manual transmission.
I am using parts form a 1970 f250 2Wheel drive truck. The harness in the 4x4 manual was a little rough so I was going to use the nicer 2wd auto harness instead. Now that I have the 2wd harness in the truck I didn't think about the neutral safety switch. I have found through search that you can jump the neutral safety so it will start in any gear but I will lose my back up lights or have to wire them into a switch.

The 4wd manual harness has a two wire connector on the driver side firewall that runs to the top of the transmission. The 2wd harness has the same two wire connector but has a jumper that connects the two.

I Have two questions:
#1 On the 2wd auto harness Can I jump the neutral safety switch across and plug from the firewall to the two wire connector to the transmission to make it all work?
#2 Can I use the Manual column and wiring with the automatic harness without too much trouble?

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2016, 05:04 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Wiring on these old trucks was pretty simple, you can do most anything that you want and it will work. I have a 76 column with a not used NSS in my 66. A switch is a connection point to allow something to happen.

John

Old 01-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pretty sure all the harness connections are the same. At least in the few that I've worked on. The NSS and back up lights is a flat 4 pin. Two for NSS, two for BU lights. I've swapped 4 spds into automatic trucks. Just made a jumper for the NSS connections. I've also run the two BU lights to the shifter switch(Hurst 4spd) and made them work.

The column should not make a difference, only if it is a different year. They changed turn signal wiring slightly in the years.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:19 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by straight-shot
I am putting my truck back together after paint and am running into a problem with my wiring harness. The truck is a 1970 f250 hiboy with a 4 speed manual transmission.
I am using parts form a 1970 f250 2Wheel drive truck. The harness in the 4x4 manual was a little rough so I was going to use the nicer 2wd auto harness instead. Now that I have the 2wd harness in the truck I didn't think about the neutral safety switch. I have found through search that you can jump the neutral safety so it will start in any gear but I will lose my back up lights or have to wire them into a switch.

The 4wd manual harness has a two wire connector on the driver side firewall that runs to the top of the transmission. The 2wd harness has the same two wire connector but has a jumper that connects the two.

I Have two questions:
#1 On the 2wd auto harness Can I jump the neutral safety switch across and plug from the firewall to the two wire connector to the transmission to make it all work?
#2 Can I use the Manual column and wiring with the automatic harness without too much trouble?

Thanks!
I gather it is "still" a granny gear 4 speed? If so the switch on the tranny is for backup lights only. 4 speed trucks have no NSS so jump across the two connections on the A/T harness that would have been going to a NSS. and then connect the two wires leading to the tranny's b/up switch to the other two pins on where there would have been a A/T NSS.