Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

You Light Up My Fog Lights

Old 01-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
You Light Up My Fog Lights

I finally was able to use a jumper wire and have my fog lights come on with my parking lights. I have an 02 so my light switch is upgraded so it pulls out in the parking light position so all I had to do is jump power from pin 5 to pin 12. I never did like the idea that I couldn't run the fog lights without the headlights being on. They look really good with the LED bulbs.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:47 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Come on man....pics????

Old 01-11-2016, 08:27 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
And for those of us too lazy to look it up, what do pin 5 and pin 12 power? Wiring changed in 02 so I don't know if it would be the same for 01 and earlier or not.

And I'm guessing you have a Lariat model? My XLT 02 didn't come with the pull out switch for fog lights. (didn't come with fog lights either). I had to add the switch and some lights after I got the truck.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:04 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Goodie....another vehicle that has FOG lights "on" all the damn time. UGH.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:36 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Originally Posted by F350-6
And for those of us too lazy to look it up, what do pin 5 and pin 12 power? Wiring changed in 02 so I don't know if it would be the same for 01 and earlier or not.
And I'm guessing you have a Lariat model? My XLT 02 didn't come with the pull out switch for fog lights. (didn't come with fog lights either). I had to add the switch and some lights after I got the truck.
Yes Lariat. 12 is switched power for parking lights. 5 is the fog lights. Switching it separate would be the best set-up though.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:43 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Originally Posted by cleatus12r
I do not like them on with headlights either but sometimes it is necessary. We hardly ever pass vehicles but the deer population is dense and really bad at dusk and dawn when we are running with parking lights.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:45 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Originally Posted by F350-6

We upgraded and ran a switch to keyed power and can turn them off and on as needed. The HID's are much brighter than LED's. Much better setup!

Old 01-15-2016, 09:48 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Only 1 thing worse, BLUE FOG LIGHTS......

Old 01-16-2016, 06:04 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
I do not like them on with headlights either but sometimes it is necessary. We hardly ever pass vehicles but the deer population is dense and really bad at dusk and dawn when we are running with parking lights.
We are not allowed to run with parking lights only, and I can see the sense in the law. You are under the impression your lights are on because of the dash - but the street lights prevent you from realizing you're in stealth mode. On the open two-lane road, you want that speed-demon in the opposite lane 1/4 mile away to know you're coming (and to see big critter at dusk/dawn) - so many people just run with headlights on (myself included). My Silverstars are defying the web talk and they are lasting just fine with the constant use they get.

That being said, I think fog lights should be saved for... you know... fog n stuff. Low-vision days - like snow, fog, heavy rain, smoke, dust, etc.... I totally get that one puts all that money and effort into fog lights, then wants to use them as much as possible - but you wouldn't fire up the snowblower in July. Why is blinding other drivers with fogs on a clear night less silly?

Old 01-16-2016, 06:20 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I have a L99 that didn't come with Fog Lights, and the light switch pulls out but does nothing.

The PO had a Xenon air dam on the truck with PIAA fog lights in it with their own (very tastefully installed switch run through relays)-it is mounted to the right of the interior light rolling switch and looks great!

I recently did the complete '07 front face lift and ADDED FACTORY fog lights utilizing part of the PIAA harness and a factory '07 Fog Light harness.

I can and do easily run the fog lights with my parking, low AND high beams anytime I want.

I run SilverStar Ultra bulbs in all.

Plenty of light for me!

Old 01-16-2016, 09:00 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Gang attack! Should have titled this auxiliary light control. Not sure what blue lights are, or as far as that goes what a snow blower is. I do know however you need auxiliary lighting when assisting a cow in distress when delivering at 3 in the morning, or when coyotes are attacking a million chickens. We like having the control, like the newer Ford's, just to turn on the fog, sorry auxiliary, lights only. I guess the current Ford engineers feel the same. Probably the Ford engineers in 2002 were living in the fog and not thinking clearly when calculating all the uses of auxiliary lighting. They are probably the same guys who assisted in the original CPS design, UVCH harness etc. That is my 50 cents!

In conclusion, is it really fair or the purpose of FTE to launch a harsh literary campaign on a person or persons out of frustration from the actions of a handful of others?

Old 01-16-2016, 09:44 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I guess the whole thing could have been more carefully worded. One member shared thoughts on those who "abuse" fog lights, and I took the ride on the side track - right after addressing a rant on a worse lighting situation in another thread. I was on a roll, and it would be akin to somebody speaking loudly in the library while listening to "Disturbed" with headphones on. I had my own thing going on in my head, and my post "high-beamed" ya. Sorry.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:00 AM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I may have been quick to point.. This is how the children in our town roll and my mind reverts to it by default

Old 01-16-2016, 11:20 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
By MTDOT regulations (your state may vary, but it's unlikely that it says anything much diffent):

Fog lamps: (with which is what our pickups are equipped)
A motor vehicle may not be equipped with more than two fog lamps that provide a low, wide-angle light pattern to increase short-range visibility. Fog lamps must be mounted on the front at a height not more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle at a distance of 25 feet ahead projects higher than a level of 4 inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting the requirements of this subsection may be used with lower headlamp beams as specified in 61-9-220(2). A fog lamp may not be used as a substitute for headlamps.

Driving lamps:

A motor vehicle may not be equipped with more than two auxiliary driving lamps that produce a long-range, pencil-shaped light pattern and that are used to supplement the upper beams of headlamps. Auxiliary driving lamps must be mounted on the front at a height not less than 16 inches or more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of 61-9-220 apply to a combination of headlamps and auxiliary driving lamps. An auxiliary driving lamp may not be used as a substitute for headlamps or lighted at any time the headlamps are required to be on in the low-beam position.

Finally, those ridiculous light bars above the windshield:

An auxiliary off-road lamp mounted more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands may not be lighted while the vehicle is operated or parked on a highway.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:31 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
As usual, you confuse the issue with the facts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: You Light Up My Fog Lights