Sponsored by: Moser

2012 new to me truck is giving issues already

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:08 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 new to me truck is giving issues already

Hey guys. I just bought a 2012 f150 with the 5.0 (pic in my profile pic). Remote started it this morning to warm it up since its cold down here today. When I walked out steam was coming from the front of the grille. Killed the engine immediately popped the hood and engine looked clean looked under the truck and different story. There was antifreeze all over the driveway so I called the warranty company I got when I purchased the truck. 3 hours later tow truck finally arrives. He starts it up to move into position to get it on and the motor is shaking but no knocking or ticking noise or anything it was only on 20-25 seconds while he backed it up and then wanted me to feel it. It was definitely dumping fuel to get warmed up as RPMs were high but it definitely had a shake to it that was abnormal.

So first thing. No I did not check the oil level (yes I am a dummy). I did look in the antifreeze overflow plastic tank and it was empty. I was thinking the steam was a pinhole in the radiator so when the truck got up to pressure it started steaming through it since no antifreeze on the engine and steam was coming out of the grille where the rad sits.

The shake has me concerned though. Do you think a truck would shake like that on start-up with low coolant levels? Truck never overheated as I killed it once I saw the steam. It's at the dealership now getting looked at.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:23 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fordf350man
...The shake has me concerned though. Do you think a truck would shake like that on start-up with low coolant levels? Truck never overheated as I killed it once I saw the steam. It's at the dealership now getting looked at.
Hi fordf350man,

I wanted to touch base and see if you've heard anything from the dealership. How many miles are on your rig? I'd like to do what I can to assist.

Crystal

Old 01-08-2016, 10:32 AM
fordf350man
Senior User
Hi Crystal,

I usually hang around the 87-96 section so good to see that a ford representative is on the forums! Truck has 36K so if its anything power-train its still under manu warranty. I also purchased a 3rd party warranty that the cadallic dealership I bought it from sells so I will not be out of pocket a dime just out of pocket from my truck!

I heard back this AM. The dealership I bought it from is being smart and sending the truck to the local ford dealership this morning. Oil was fine, coolant definitely was way low. So hoping its just something with the cooling system and nothing with the block. By the symptoms I still would not be surprised if they told me a pinhole on the front of the rad. I won't know more until North Central calls Crest (where I bought the truck) and lets them know what is going on. So I am in limbo until then. At least its back at ford so I know only motorcraft parts will go on!

Thanks for checking in!

David

Old 01-08-2016, 10:57 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fordf350man
Hi Crystal,

I usually hang around the 87-96 section so good to see that a ford representative is on the forums! Truck has 36K so if its anything power-train its still under manu warranty. I also purchased a 3rd party warranty that the cadallic dealership I bought it from sells so I will not be out of pocket a dime just out of pocket from my truck!

I heard back this AM. The dealership I bought it from is being smart and sending the truck to the local ford dealership this morning. Oil was fine, coolant definitely was way low. So hoping its just something with the cooling system and nothing with the block. By the symptoms I still would not be surprised if they told me a pinhole on the front of the rad. I won't know more until North Central calls Crest (where I bought the truck) and lets them know what is going on. So I am in limbo until then. At least its back at ford so I know only motorcraft parts will go on!

Thanks for checking in!

David
You're quite welcome, David! Let me know what you find out from the Ford Dealership. If you continue to work with them, I'll be able to step in and assist (if needed).

Crystal

Old 01-08-2016, 10:59 AM
fordf350man
Senior User
Your a sweetheart! I will let you know!