1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Am I the only guy who's Ok with my stock trucks performance?

Old 01-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I the only guy who's Ok with my stock trucks performance?

Ok, Wait......................................... I didn't say I wouldn't want more power, or like it. I've had some issues with it if you've read some of my posts.
I had to rescue my buddy yesterday. He had a dump trailer full of tile, cement and bathroom fixtures ( including an old cast iron tub). The way he loaded it, put the bumper of his 1500 short bed on the ground. when I got it on my truck, the suspension couldn't give a damn but my 305 Grabbers didn't like it. I've got no idea what the tongue weight was, but it was alot ! I towed this with ease though. I just got rid of my camper last year too. It was a 31' Nomad Skyline (7700 lbs). I never had trouble towing anywhere, yeah, it was slow on acceleration but never over matched. Just sayin' she's been good to me.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:57 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
There is nothing wrong with stock. It does an amazing job of towing. The problem comes when you do a couple things to it and see the big difference in performance. It then becomes PMS to do more and more because every time you do something the seat of the pants loves it!! Also, I hate holding up traffic.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:12 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Ugg I love my truck but boy was it boring stock. I can't leave anything alone tho. As bill says I have a tinkering problem lol

Old 01-07-2016, 09:50 AM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
There is nothing wrong with stock. It does an amazing job of towing. The problem comes when you do a couple things to it and see the big difference in performance. It then becomes PMS to do more and more because every time you do something the seat of the pants loves it!! Also, I hate holding up traffic.
Sure, its a bit slow, no doubt. Towing that camper was a challenge merging on the highway especially. Of course if it was windy to boot, then I had to be content doing 50 with OD off. I'm not as handy as you and Fordman are. My time is limited also. I'd be laid up for weeks tackling a big job myself........ not to mention, pockets ain't so deep anymore. Funny, I never thought of things like EGT's and stuff 'til I got involved here. At 300,077 mi, I'll just leave her be for now. When I find the time and money, I'll make her a beast with your help.............& go find me a new camper

Regards Vinny

Old 01-07-2016, 09:52 AM
pwjackson42
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my truck and what it can do. I don't even have a 6637 and exhaust yet. I have hauled a 12' dump trailer loaded with ash firewood, as much as I could get on and the bed full of wood. I thought it did great! The trailer empty weighs 3800 lbs. I am excited to add small things like the exhaust and air filter, TS chip with gauges. I don't need the added horsepower just like to make it run even better.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:21 AM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by pwjackson42
I love my truck and what it can do. I don't even have a 6637 and exhaust yet. I have hauled a 12' dump trailer loaded with ash firewood, as much as I could get on and the bed full of wood. I thought it did great! The trailer empty weighs 3800 lbs. I am excited to add small things like the exhaust and air filter, TS chip with gauges. I don't need the added horsepower just like to make it run even better.
Hey man, with that power train and such low miles...... sky's the limit !
The 6637 is a good start. Mine ran better as soon as I did it. Turbo sings louder too. Good Luck

Old 01-07-2016, 02:28 PM
ultraclyde
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Granted, I just got the truck...and it's the first diesel I've driven on a regular basis...and I haven't towed with it yet...but I'm pretty impressed with it so far. When I do eventually get the bigger boat, I'm sure I'll want a little more out of it, but I don't like to stray too far from stock for longevity and reliability reasons. Maybe a CAI and down pipe, just make the most of the factory tuning.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:37 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
I drove mine stock for over 8 years and didn't mind it at all. Just didn't get in a hurry towing. It did anything I wanted it to do. Now it does anything I want to do faster. I wouldn't want to pull this trailer stock. Granted it would do it, but would take forever to get anywhere and would be working it to the max. I still work it to the max, but, again, just do it faster.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:49 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm very much satisfied with the performance of my truck in stock configuration. It now has the 6637 mod only because I destroyed the stock air breather with starting fluid.
All I'm looking for is a stock, dependable truck to get me and what I want to haul from point A to B. If I need to haul bigger or tow faster, I have heavy duty trucks for that.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:03 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
You're far from the only one who's happy with stock power. Especially when you consider the cost of upgrades. Sheesh!

I'm into my pickup a total of about $3000 (Including initial purchase and Rosewood injectors) and it does everything I want it to do, and fairly reliably too. I'm having what I believe to be fuel issues right now, but why would I put $700-1400 into E-fuel when I can likely repair the stock fuel system for $100 or less?

Old 01-08-2016, 05:56 AM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
I'm actually surprised that many share my sentiment, but I'll say it again...........wouldn't mind more power. Many of these guys know more about these trucks than Ford or IH, and could turn a wrench better than most factory mechanics. I'm a B mechanic at best and my pockets aren't so deep these days. I bought the 7.3 for longevity & durability. Its done that well.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Airstreamer67
Senior User
I bought my F250 new in 1996 just for towing a 6000-pound travel trailer. I've used it from coast-to-coast towing such a trailer, and about the only time I have ever opened the throttle all the way is when merging in heavy traffic.

The truck as produced from the factory with 215 bhp is in what some might call a "derated" condition. That is, a heck of a lot more power could be easily produced from that big 444 cid block, but the relatively small injectors, etc as supplied by the factory effectively "derates" the block compared to what it could otherwise achieve without undue stress given its sturdy construction such as pistons, connecting rods, bearings, etc.

I actually like it in a derated condition, because the big engine is never really under stress when it's being pressed even up to its factory-rated power. Having a derated engine may mean you likely won't win the race up the hill, but you're likely to win the race to longevity. So far, it's working for me. I've never had a breakdown, knock on wood.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:21 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I think the biggest reason the factory detuned them is warranty claims. In stock form you can go up a mountain grade with your foot on the floor. Bigger injectors etc. if you don't watch your EGT's then you will have engine problems. I like the mods to my truck and I don't think I'm hurting the longevity if your careful.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:03 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
The secret for longevity of the 7.3 is maintnace, but there are other factors that could ruin a stock 7.3 in a heart beat such as, leaking up pipes which create high EGT, which destroys pistons and piston rings, intake filtration they were a flaw design by FoMoco, many neglectful owners let their trucks inhale enough dust to ruin their engines and give the cylinder wall a nice gloss look with an oval shape cylinder. These two things are probably the 2 most important thing to look for when buying a "new" obs or sd with a 7.3, 6.0,6.4,6.7

Old 01-14-2016, 11:05 PM
Minnesota_Duane
Junior User
I bought my 96 PS CC DRW this fall, I have a 94 IDI CC DRW that I have had for years now, the idi got the different turbo housing, elbow and a 3 inch down pipe. Inter cooler and the pump turned up it made 208hp to the wheels.
When I bought the Powerstroke I said I was going to keep it stock as it only had 142k on it when I bought it 10-18-15 it now has an AFE turbo back exhaust, I have a Gear Vendor to put in it and I'm thinking about a TS6 chip. I swapped the factory wheels with my old truck and put the polished Alcoas and 235 85 16s on it.
Mostly I am after millage, but a little more power wouldn't hurt. I'm also thinking about doing the 6637 but I don't want a lot of cab noise. So I guess I am mostly happy with mostly stock but I want to see 20 mpg down the highway at 70 mph, maybe I'm dreaming but it's a goal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I the only guy who's Ok with my stock trucks performance?