Sponsored by:

Lift kit plan. Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 12:53 AM
Cannonrush
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift kit plan. Please advise

I plan on having a suspension lift kit installed and larger tires installed on my Excursion. I have done a lot of searching on the net for information and advice on this topic. Based on my research this is my plan.

BDS suspension 10" lift kit. ($2000)
Moto metal rims 18"x10 8 x 170 5" back spacing (I think) ($800)
37"x13.5 toyo open country ($1650)

I would rather spend less money, but I want a tall lift. I have read about skyjacker and superlift as well, but I want a lift that is at least 8" that that easily clear 37" tires, and fit possibly bigger.

If you have any experience with or advice I would love to hear it. I would rather spend less, but I don't want to sacrifice lift height.

Side note: i actually had my f150 lifted 10 years ago, and it was a horrible experience. I got a 6" pro comp lift and 35" tires. I didn't know until the shop started installing it that I needed new rims with different back spacing. Then about 6 months down the road the front end started to sag and my tires were rubbing hard. It caused light wear to the tires because of the wear, so I ended up doing a 2" body lift and getting new 35" tires.

So this is why I really want to get a high lift. I don't want to have to worry about having the problems I had in the past. I understand the BDS 10" recommends 38" tires, so I figure I would go with 37" to give it some buffer room.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:27 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 819 Likes on 567 Posts
Welcome to the forum, be sure to post up some pics of your EX before and after.

Is that 10" lift listed as being for an EX or a Super Duty? The EX starts out 2" shorter than the pickups so a truck lift will be that much more when installed under an EX. 10" is going to look too tall with 37" as is, 12" would really have the skinny leg look. There are guys here running 37" with 6" of lift and good clearance, I run 35.25" with just under 4" up front without issues, but I know........you want it tall.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:40 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Welcome to the forum, be sure to post up some pics of your EX before and after.

Is that 10" lift listed as being for an EX or a Super Duty? The EX starts out 2" shorter than the pickups so a truck lift will be that much more when installed under an EX. 10" is going to look too tall with 37" as is, 12" would really have the skinny leg look. There are guys here running 37" with 6" of lift and good clearance, I run 35.25" with just under 4" up front without issues, but I know........you want it tall.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WELCOME to the world of XXXs
I run 37" on a 4" lift (= 6" on the X) I will touch the fender liner with no real ills BUT a 6" lift (= 8" on an X) would MORE THAN take care of that. I would in no way consider lifting a X 14" other than a show truck. Your math did not include $1000's for the X-tras needed to build what your thinking

PS: Please add your general lo-cal to your profile

Old 01-07-2016, 06:45 AM
Cannonrush
New User
Thanks for the info. Yes I have heard that about the f250 lifts being able to fit the excursion. I have also heard they are taller. This 10" from BDS states specifically for excursion, so I'm guessing it's the shorter measurement.

The main reason I want to do the 10" is I may want larger tires down the road. Yes it does say 38" tires recommended, I'm wondering if it fits even larger than that.

I would get a shorter lift if I knew without a doubt it would clear 37" tires. I had a horrible experience last time I did this and ended up getting a body lift on top of the suspension lift. It sucked.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:50 AM
Cannonrush
New User
Would you recommend a brand of lift kit to look at if I wanted to get a shorter lift that would easily clear 37" tires? And yes good point on all the extras to install. I'm sure it will cost more than $5000 unfortunately. Thanks again.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:03 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Cannonrush
Would you recommend a brand of lift kit to look at if I wanted to get a shorter lift that would easily clear 37" tires? And yes good point on all the extras to install. I'm sure it will cost more than $5000 unfortunately. Thanks again.
a 6" lift (= 8" on an X) would MORE THAN take care of 37"-38" tires. IMO: what your going to be using the X for could influence a manufactures choice.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:13 AM
Cannonrush
New User
It's going to be very little off road activity. Mostly highway city driving. Definitely looking for the economical option.

P.s I have read many lift kits require 20" rims. I want to stay with 18" wheels. My last lift was a pro comp lift and it was a bad experience. I'd rather stay away from them

Old 01-07-2016, 08:53 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
It's going to be very little off road activity. Mostly highway city driving. Definitely looking for the economical option.

P.s I have read many lift kits require 20" rims. I want to stay with 18" wheels. My last lift was a pro comp lift and it was a bad experience. I'd rather stay away from them

I always get a kick out of newbies wanting bigger tires and crazy amount of lifts and then mention "economical"....lol. Excursion is anything but economical in the stock form. Do what you want but get ready to open up your wallet. Welcome to FTE.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:06 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts

If you have any experience with or advice I would love to hear it. I would rather spend less, but I don't want to sacrifice lift height.
here are a few things I see at first glance.

1. 37" tires will require new gears so budget for that.
2. I don't see a new adjustable track bar in that kit, just the bracket. so you will likely need a adjustable track bar
3. speaking of bracket. that bracket needs to have the kicker that ties the bottom of the bracket to the frame. ( see pic, brace is at the bottom far right) verify this is included.
4. I don't see a steering damper on your list. my advise is the bigger the tire and taller the lift the more damping is required. with your proposed set up I would run a dual dampers.
EDIT EDIT 5. rear sway bar..... even without a lift you will benefit as the Ex handles better with a rear bar
EDIT EDIT EDIT 6. longer drivelines are typically required on 6+" lifts

so here is the low down on the Pro comp springs you had an issue with in the past. Trade secret is the majority of all these lift companies are getting their leaf springs from the same few suppliers in India. occasionally the steel they use doesn't meet spec and a crappy shipment of springs is sent out. the problem is not limited to Pro comp it plagues all imported springs. in fact Pro comp being one of the largest and finically stable companies in the entire aftermarket has the resources to do something about it and will destroy an entire shipment of springs if they find the them defective, they will also replace your springs if you bring it to their attention. some smaller companies just can not afford to do that. It is likely that 10 years ago had you purchased any companies spring you would have gotten the same bad batch of springs and they would have failed in the same manner. my advise is use a vendor who has a solid reputation and stands behind the products they sell. when thing go sideways, and things always go sideways

just to put your project into perspective and maybe shift your focus away from doing it on the cheap to doing it correctly and making the excursion better consider this. You are taking a 20 foot long, 4 ton Vehicle and raising its center of gravity a foot higher then a team of highly skilled engineers at ford designed. as good as those engineers are the Excursion has some quirks and is generally a poor handling vehicle. you are about to make some radical changes in suspension and steering geometry. study up and make good choices.

EDIT.....This pic is of components from Fabtech not BDS

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2016, 09:57 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts

1. That BDS is not an designed as a "off road" suspension setup.

2. their is nothing in that suspension or any other suspension for the Excursion that " requires" a 20" rim. a 20' rim is typically chosen for looks but there are handling implication. in a nut shell. the larger the rim used with a given tire diameter the less sidewall flex produced. this is both good and bad. the good is that less sidewall flex will generally speaking provide for "crisper" steering response and less wallow which can result in body roll and steering drift but usually at the expense of ride comfort and load capacity and reduced traction on soft terrain such as snow, ice, mud or dirt

Old 01-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Cannonrush
New User
I appreciate the info and advice. If the cost of having 37" tires Goes over $5,000 I'm probably going to get 35 inch tires instead. If anyone could recommend a brand of suspension, or specific kit that would clear 37 inch tires I would appreciate it.

I'm going to take it to a shop eventually and consult them, but I would like to have a rough game plan before I talk with them. Last time i did a lift I was just a teenager and they totally worked me over. They said I needed 20" rims.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM
andy9743
Senior User

4" f250 lift, 17" rim 37x12.50 dick cepek fun country. i believe it is a rough country lift, was on the truck when i purchased it. no rub issues, plenty of clear for my 37's. the rear is an additional block (not ideal, but economical) i cant imagine several inches higher with 37" tires.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:58 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
So, with all the lift differences between the F250 and the Excursion, it is best to talk with the manufacture.

I have a 4" all spring Excursion lift from BDS, and that is what it is, a 4" lift. This lift lets me run 35's. Also, since these lift kits are new springs (springs all around, or springs and blocks in the back), wheel fitment issues should not change from stock configurations.

With my current setup, I get some minor tire rub on the springs at full lock turn, but there is not rubbing at any other time.

Over all, I am VERY HAPPY with my BDS setup, and their lifetime warranty is hard to beat!

Old 01-07-2016, 11:07 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=pirate4x4_camo;15926866]here are a few things I see at first glance.

1. 37" tires will require new gears so budget for that.
2. I don't see a new adjustable track bar in that kit, just the bracket. so you will likely need a adjustable track bar
3. speaking of bracket. that bracket needs to have the kicker that ties the bottom of the bracket to the frame. ( see pic, brace is at the bottom far right) verify this is included.
4. I don't see a steering damper on your list. my advise is the bigger the tire and taller the lift the more damping is required. with your proposed set up I would run a dual dampers.

There is a CHANCE he might have 4:30s which would work fine.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:08 AM
TexPiggyPounder
Freshman User
I went with Icon 4.5 kit and I'm rolling 325/50r22 which is basically a 35/12.5. I know Icon kits are more expensive but they ride good and the reservoir shocks are smooth & look good. I just don't know if they make a kit that tall.
The ground is unlevel but here's a pic.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Lift kit plan. Please advise