1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Papaw and Grandson Project 1952 F1

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 01:27 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by das54
We've had some discussions here about miss stamped plates. After all, they were hand stamped and errors are possible. Seems most of the errors are caused by the change in code for a given color. Example - early in 1953 production run the worker stamps a bunch of meadow green trucks with a M before remembering new code is R. Then in early 1954 he's stamping all the Meadow green trucks R until a Vermilion (Red) truck comes along and he checks what code that is supposed to be and "dang oops oh well". You can only imagine the slander on the assembly line directed at the engineers.
My 54 has an R code for the color, which is vermilion, which was meadow green in 53. I bought my truck from my Grandfather and he bought it new. It was always meadow green. So this puzzled me. My spare wheel was red so I thought maybe it was red and then repainted green. I dug out the original bill of sale from 1954. There it was written the color was Meadow Green. I found no signs of red under the dash of other hidden areas, only green. So I came to the conclusion that the guy stamping the plates made a mistake and punched R instead of U. But how long was he doing it? My truck was a late 54 truck. Grandpa bought it Dec. 22,1954. I am not sure right now of the build date but I think it was late July. Will have to check that later. I do know my engine was built in Cleveland not Dearborn as it has the 13 tooth distributor.

So how long was this key puncher doing it wrong? Or was he a new guy who didn't know the code changed?

Old 01-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds likely, I also wondered back then if they ran out of a color on a day would they paint the truck with what they had . Was the tag assigned at the start of assembly or was it last? Personally I like the red trucks but Austin wants it green like it was when it was new. There is no doubt it was green. Really, it is more a matter of personal taste in my opinion but he wants attention to detail when reassembling with as few changes from original as possible.

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2016, 05:21 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
Hope you are blessed to hang on to that truck for your lifetime. That is awesome to have your granddads truck! In our changing world not many material things last very long and everything is expendable anymore.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
I have a question about hood ornament. Going through the boxes of misc small parts I ran across a hood ornament. I do not remember seeing one on the trucks I have seen. Would this be original item?

Old 01-07-2016, 09:37 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I don't ever remember seeing any of this series truck with an OEM hood ornament. Aftermarket suppliers did a brisk market in hood ornaments.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:33 PM
1950FordF1
Senior User
I think 1950 was the only year that a hood ornament was used.

Let Austin know that I have a front end King pin bushing/bearing kit (no king pins) and a couple of NOS long shackle bolts left over from my resto that he is welcome to if needed.

Great to see your progress, he will remember your experiences and one day teach his kids as you have taught him.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
Thanks for thinking of him on those parts. The front axle and spring pins and bushing have already been rebuilt. We just have to clean parts and paint. Will put new wheel cly and hoses and new brake lines and the front end will be good to go.
As for the ornament I don't remember seeing holes in the hood where it had been but I will have to look into that. It would have to be rechromed anyway which means more $. I think we can live without it. That will be Austin's call.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:35 AM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
we are ready to set the cab off the frame. would it be feasible to set the cab on the floor of the garage and tilt it on its back onto 4 old tires to cushion the back and let it rest there so we can clean the underside of the floor. I do not want to damage the back of the cab. We have enough to do without adding! Upon completion of the preparation would it be best to use POR 15 or primer and truck bed liner. I think on the inside floor area and inside cab corners etc I will go with the POR 15. On the underside Could I use POR15 and then coat it with bed liner for a double whammy for rust protection.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:12 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome Jim. This sounds like a very worthwhile project. Keep the pictures coming . . . for two reasons:
  1. To amuse us
  2. Take pictures of everything so that you can refer to them when you put things back together.

It sounds like Austin has good instincts. You can search on this forum for "blazer frames" and although it can be done most projects are not finished. As you have discovered there are lots of stock parts and upgrade kits available for these trucks ('48-'52). And where there are no kits you can search this forum for information like identifying axles, installing optional transmissions, etc. And if you can't find what you need just ask. I guarantee that somebody on here has the information that you need, or perhaps even the parts you can't find.

Yes, you can take the cab off and set it on its "snout" firewall in order to work on the bottom of the cab. I built a wooden frame and added some cheap steel wheels so I could set the cab on it and move it around my garage/shop easier.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
Yes that will work out fine.
I crawled under the truck this eve and took a good look at the bottom. Our cab is in really good shape. It has undercoating on the bottom and I mean this stuff is adhered to the surface, I don't know if I could put anything on that would be as good. The coating is like a tar, that might be what it is. I have only one spot rusted through about 1/2" hole. I think the metal may be thin in this area but I have not evaluated it close yet. I am going to put the brakes on the rear axle tomorrow and put the springs back on it and that phase will be completed. We will probably set the cab off tomorrow. I appreciate your follow up and the photo of yours. Looks like you got a very nice project coming along. After we set the cab out of the way we are going to check the motor out and fire it up. Then we will pull the trany and engine, I am hoping to get the frame all cleaned and repainted this month. Our frame I really clean and most of it still looks nice with the exception of the bottom rail. It has that tar under coat stuff in a lot of areas. This stuff is stuck! If the motor is what it is supposed to be then we will install rebuild kits on the water pumps, thermostats, and new fuel pump and make the engine green as it it supposed to be for a 1952. Lot of work, lot of dirt, lot of fun! My Grandson is excited that keeps me fueled. Work safely and we will follow your progress.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:20 AM
1950FordF1
Senior User
When I cleaned the hard tar out of the F-1 and 1931 Model A doors I used a hair drier, sharp putty knife, and WD-40 as the solvent with 3m pads to clean up the thin layer left behind.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:06 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
If the metal is good and the inside doors are clean is there really anything to gain by removing it? I don't know if you could buy anything as good today. There is a little putty on a couple of small places on the bottom of the door I will have to remove it to see if was a dent or rust.

The hair dryer or heat gun is a very good idea I am sure that would work. Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:31 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
brake question. installing new brake shoes today on rear axle. the brakes were already off the truck when we bought it. going through boxes I found what I thought was everything. when installing I noticed it did not have the cable and foot for self adjusters. I guess no self adj in 52.
What I am baffled with is what I think is the bottom spring wants to ride right on top of the adj wheel. actually riding on it, this just doesn't seem right to me. I have never worked on a brake system that did not self adj with the cable and foot that rides on the wheel. Anyone got any pictures? Or any pointers thanks js.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:51 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Hey Pete to me your truck is done. I just love a naked flat head your work really looks good and should be an inspiration to Jim and Austin.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:22 PM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribed

Quick Reply: Papaw and Grandson Project 1952 F1