1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Cruise to 2012 Super Duty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:59 PM
wg112063
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding Cruise to 2012 Super Duty?

I am new to this site and need some information. Truck is 2012 F250 Super Duty 4wd base work truck with no factory cruise control. It seems all I need to add cruise would be the steering wheel mounted switch panel ( left side ) and have the dealer enable cruise in the ECU. Is this correct?
Is it plug and play as I have described above?..................or is there more to it like a different wiring harness or servo control. Thanks all for your help

Old 01-03-2016, 09:47 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
I don't think the wiring is there and no fuse in the box. It may be more involved than you think.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:37 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
You'd have to take a look at the available clocksprings. If there is a different one for vehicles with airbag/horn only you might be missing the necessary wiring for the steering wheel switches in the steering column. If there is only one clockspring available for 2012, it should just be a matter of changing the steering wheel out and enabling cruise control.

All fuses and actuators are already present as these pickups are fly-by-wire. Cruise control simply changes the input signal from your foot to a constant speed algorithm.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:06 PM
wg112063
New User
Thanks for the input. According to a couple of helpful and knowledgeable Ford dealers. ( most are neither ) On 2011 and up all superduties come with everything for cruise. Add the switch panel to the steering wheel, hook up the wiring and finally go to Ford dealer to have cruise turned on in the computer. I have ordered the switch panel and have a dealer lined up to change the computer setting. I will give an update once all is completed.

Bill

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 PM
baerpath
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything other than the switch is there, mine came in without cruise took the dealer 10 minutes to add switch and program computer

Old 01-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Larry posted the links above with the part number you need. It's a simple plug-in kit. Dealer turns on speed control with IDS and done. It really is that easy.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:40 PM
trying_to_tow
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you! Thank you!

Thanks to all posters in this thread who shared this VERY USEFUL info! I am extremely eager to add cruise to my bare bones 2011 and am happy to know all I need is the switch (which I see brand new on #$%$ for only $75) and a firmware change.

I will add the switch cluster and stop by various dealers in my travels, to see who gives me the best deal on enabling it. Thanks to you I know it is NOT a big job for them.

Thanks again!

Old 01-26-2023, 04:26 PM
Bluebeard77
4wd Low
Originally Posted by Pocket
Larry posted the links above with the part number you need. It's a simple plug-in kit. Dealer turns on speed control with IDS and done. It really is that easy.
can you please confirm that you’ve done this personally? I took it to my local dealer, they charged me $250 to install the switch that I provided, and then they proceeded to tell me it wasn’t possible to enable cruise control 🤯. Thank you!!!

Old 01-26-2023, 05:37 PM
Bluebeard77
4wd Low
Help?

Bill, can you please share your experience? I just paid a dealer $250 to install the correct switch and map it to the ECU. They installed the switch and when it didn’t activate cruise control, they told me it couldn’t be done!!! Help?!!

Bill[/QUOTE]

Old 01-26-2023, 06:28 PM
trying_to_tow
5th Wheeling
Adding cruise was easy using ForScan

Bill
Sorry to hear your dealer is an ahole. Why am I not surprised? My policy is to stay away from stealers.

It's been a long time, but I don't recall any significant issues adding the cruise and it has always worked fine. I changed out my steering wheel for a brand new one with the switch (the old one was really nasty with 175k miles of fleet use!). I got the wheel cheap from a dealer upgrading a truck with radio switches on the wheel. I used instructions from alldata as I really didn't want to blow the airbag in my face. I seem to recall the fastener might be an odd size or type (Torx?). They say to buy a new bolt. I used Loctite on the old one.

Once the switch is installed, you have to activate cruise in the computer. I had an OBD2 interface and bought a license for ForScan. Then I think you need to request the secret security access code to get you into all the good stuff (or you did back then). I seem to recall there was more than one place something needed to be changed or enabled. You can probably find that info on ForScan's forum. It's probably a good idea to back everything up before making changes. Wish I could remember more details, but it unquestionably can be done.

Good luck!

PS My truck is now at 210k and (knock on wood) still doing well. It's used almost exclusively for towing or hauling heavy stuff, maybe 5000 miles a year. For $8500 I did ok. I hate to think how I am ever going to replace it.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:39 PM
trying_to_tow
5th Wheeling
Tips on software setup

Bill
Lucky for you, I never seem to throw anything away! I went through my truck notes and found a page from Ford instructions for adding cruise. The dealer absolutely would have this info! It says "2011-CMY F-Super Duty" at the top and SKBC3J-9A818-AA at the bottom. I just searched for that second string and instructions for the Furd cruise kit are the first result. Shall I tell you what to say to your stealer, or can you think of those words yourself? Most of them are 4 letters

Mind you the instructions are for using Furd's IDS, ForScan will be slightly different and may require a bit of head scratching.

The only notes I made for ForScan were:
edit selected/write
> [ ] service procedure

I have no idea what that meant, and the software has probably changed.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:09 AM
nydiver
More Turbo
Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts
I have not seen anyone who got forscan to complete this successfully, Not to say it isn't possible, but for my 09 it was a change in the PCM and I always always told Forscan couldn't make changes in the PCM. I did the wheel swap as well, clock spring from factory on a fleet base model, power nothing, had the wiring in it for cruise and for the radio. I went to 3 stealerships before I found 1 that didn't say it would be 300+ for a literally 5 minute job. Tech had me bring it around, he switched the one setting in under 2 minutes, and I slid him 50 which he refused so he took a 20. Connect, 3 screens, option on, done

The following 2 users liked this post by nydiver:
Old 02-02-2023, 06:26 PM
Bluebeard77
4wd Low
Still riding the struggle bus

So, after much back-and-forth, I finally got my $250 back from the Ford dealer (who installed the cruise control switch I provided into the steering wheel, but then didn’t do anything further to activate the cruise control, with predictable results.)

The service manager reported that his tech said something to the tune of “there weren’t enough connectors in the steering wheel.” I wasn’t aware this was a potential issue. Can anyone explain what steering wheel deficiencies he’s referencing? My truck is a cab n chassis version, XLT, bare bones. If I need a new steering wheel, isn’t that going to be cost prohibitive?

Thank you to everybody who’s replied so far and helped me navigate this mess.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:37 PM
nydiver
More Turbo
Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts
It's not your steering wheel that could be a potential issue. All the wheel does is hold the switches, it's the clock spring that could be the issue. For my 09 there was just 1 clock spring, the part under the airbag and wheel that connects the column to the wheel and air bag, but is a big ribbon cable in a housing so the wheel can be turned and maintain connection. I cannot believe ford decided to make 2 or 3 versions of the spring, and cc retrofits wouldn't include a new clockspring if it was needed. I call bravo Sierra on the dealer. Try another one, it should just be a option to be turned on.

Quick Reply: Adding Cruise to 2012 Super Duty?