Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 F350 crew cab BAD water leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 12:22 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 F350 crew cab BAD water leak

Hello all,

I have been experiencing a bad leak of water to accumulates at the driver door sill. The carpet right next to my black foot step molding is soaking wet anytime it rains. The outside window door trim/weatherstrip is weathered and cracked kind of bad. But if that allows water to pass between it and the window, wouldn't that water just drain out the drains at the bottom of the door and out onto the ground?
I do not see how my carpet is getting soak and wet. the passenger side is fine, but its weatherstripping is fine.

Thanks guys

Sid

Old 12-29-2015, 01:20 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cityjack
Hello all,

I have been experiencing a bad leak of water to accumulates at the driver door sill. The carpet right next to my black foot step molding is soaking wet anytime it rains. The outside window door trim/weatherstrip is weathered and cracked kind of bad. But if that allows water to pass between it and the window, wouldn't that water just drain out the drains at the bottom of the door and out onto the ground?
I do not see how my carpet is getting soak and wet. the passenger side is fine, but its weatherstripping is fine.

Thanks guys

Sid
If it's leaking where I think it is, pull of the cowl grille and run water down in the channel to see if water enters the cabin.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:29 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Thanks sir. Not sure where you are talking about. "The cowl grill"? What channel are you speaking of.

Thank you for the reply too. Rain has let up and I'm out there now.

Thanks again.

Sid

Old 12-29-2015, 02:46 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
The cowl grille is the piece of body metal between the windshield and hood. The windshield wipers protrude from it. There is a water/rain channel that lets water run to either side of the body. Occasionally the seam sealer here fails/cracks and leaks.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:20 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
I think you may be onto something here sir. After I read your first post, I was out there getting ready to replace my fuel filter, and when I opened the drivers door to move the truck, there it was. I bead of water running down the plastic inside trim right down to the carpet area. It seems to be coming right from where you explained too. To take this cowl grille piece off, is it just the bunch of screws I see holding it under the hood all at the top of the firewall? Do I need to mess with any windshield trim at all? Will this body seam and sealer be evident once I remove the panel? What can you recommend for a repair sealant?

Thanks sir and have a great night.

Sid

Old 12-29-2015, 06:19 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You're on the right track.
There are more screws near the windshield you get to through the holes iin the cowl.

You will see dried out body sealer (caulk) down inside the cowl..

Please remove the rear inner fender plastic shield and locate the rubber cowl drain boot on the cab.
Remove this and then run a hose from the top to flush out all the leaves and muck.
You may have a bunch of rust at the base of the A pillar letting water into the cab.
This is hard to fix without major surgery but it can be patched for awhile.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:31 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Thank you for the reply sir.

Thank you for the good detail on how to get to the body sealer. However, it may take me some looking and digging to find these hidden fender well panels and drain boot you speak of.
I'll check this out in the morning. I have a fuel filter I need to tackle first and then this body seal. What can I use to repair this body dried out sealant you think? Is it just caulk really?

Why do they make it so hard to replace a simple fuel filter geesh.

Have a good night sir.

Sid

Old 12-31-2015, 08:48 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by cityjack
Thank you for the reply sir.

Thank you for the good detail on how to get to the body sealer. However, it may take me some looking and digging to find these hidden fender well panels and drain boot you speak of.
I'll check this out in the morning. I have a fuel filter I need to tackle first and then this body seal. What can I use to repair this body dried out sealant you think? Is it just caulk really?

Why do they make it so hard to replace a simple fuel filter geesh.

Have a good night sir.

Sid
It is not just caulk. It's seam sealer.
Our shop uses 3M products,
For seam sealer we use 3M 8361 - Urethane Seam Sealer (grey).

To apply that product you'll need a 3M applicator, the 3M 8398.

If memory serves me right (It's been awhile, forgive me) I believe I've used 3M 8362 Urethane Seam Sealer in a regular old caulk gun. I was like 16-17 years old then. the 8362 is the same product as the 8361 just in a different package. It's rated for external use, and you can slather than sludge everywhere, I had to do it to get my dads '97 F350 from leaking.

You could (read: probably shouldn't) use 3M 8307 Self Leveling Seam Sealer for that as well, but it may not take as well as the 8361 and you'd need a 3M 8117 or similar to apply it.

If you decide to get the 8117 applicator, there's a myriad of 3M products out there you can use it with - namely 8115 Panel Bonding Adhesive. Mix it with fiberglass flox and you'd be surprised what you can fix.

Good luck.