1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

helicoil or new heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 08:41 PM
officespace2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
helicoil or new heads

-I recently acquired a 1999 e250 (5.4 v8) with ~215,000 miles and stripped threads on the third spark plug hole back on each head. I priced having helicoils installed by the stealership ~$500 each (total of $1000 to rethread two plug holes), but am considering pulling the heads and installing new ones myself. What would you guys do? Would you:
  • Pay the stealership $1000 for helicoils,
  • Buy a time-sert kit @ ~$400 and rethread the holes yourself
  • Buy new heads @ ~ $1300 (with gasket set, timing chain, etc) and install them yourself.
  • Set van on fire and drink a beer.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. I am inclined towards doing the heads myself, but I just worry that with >200,000 miles, the bottom end of the block may need servicing soon. How long do the rings, main bearings, etc last on these things? Also, will I hate myself for doing the heads myself?

Old 12-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
you can do it!
Lots of good info on this website here.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:06 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by officespace2
-I recently acquired a 1999 e250 (5.4 v8) with ~215,000 miles and stripped threads on the third spark plug hole back on each head. I priced having helicoils installed by the stealership ~$500 each (total of $1000 to rethread two plug holes), but am considering pulling the heads and installing new ones myself. What would you guys do? Would you:
  • Pay the stealership $1000 for helicoils,
  • Buy a time-sert kit @ ~$400 and rethread the holes yourself
  • Buy new heads @ ~ $1300 (with gasket set, timing chain, etc) and install them yourself.
  • Set van on fire and drink a beer.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. I am inclined towards doing the heads myself, but I just worry that with >200,000 miles, the bottom end of the block may need servicing soon. How long do the rings, main bearings, etc last on these things? Also, will I hate myself for doing the heads myself?
I am almost fearless where car mechanics is involved but for 2 stripped plug holes, I would probably go the pro route and have it done. Maybe not at a dealer ship but a privately owned shop. I would also want a warranty.

Putting in helicoils in the confined space on these vans would seem to be a bit tricky. With 215,000 on the clock, I am wondering if there is a lot of maintenance that needs to be done along with the heads? I have no direct experience with the 5.4's, just all the complaints from those who have had problems.

I was close to Option #4 on my 88 model several times.
jim

Old 12-29-2015, 05:20 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
16year old vehicles are (generally speaking) a bad idea for regular usage.

With that said, 200,000 miles is not likely problematic for the bottom end of the engine. In its next 100,000 miles you'll experience plenty of gremlins (which will make you a regular visitor/new family member on this forum), but not likely related to bottom end/rotating assembly.

We "never" have those kind of problems reported on here, aside from oil sludge/caking issues from lack of oil changes.

You already bought the truck, so you're basically stuck with it. Pull the valve covers and put a borescope up the drain plug to inspect the bottom end. If all is well, then proceed with your cylinder head repair.

Keep us posted!

Old 12-29-2015, 05:55 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Wow, nearly none of that ^^ is even close to being true or factual!

Facts are SOME used vehicles are sold with issues whose origins are unknown which gives rise to two things here: huge incorrect assumptions and guesses what might have caused them and predictions of doom and gloom after their discovery.

FWIW I'm driving two of these so called "gremlin laden dinosaurs", one bought with 203K miles (2000 E250), the other 165K (2003 E250) when they came to me. I had somewhat good luck but even so foolish notions everything "old" is essentially worthless is proven wrong once again. Going by that ***/u/ption any day now my dependable work vans will fall apart right before my very eyes. Both are daily driven, dependability is exceptionally high with both. I guess I should scrap them both right after posting this though right?!?!

All that being said though read through the Modular Motor V8 sub-forum, do a general search for blown plugs etc----there are more than a few great threads on the best practice and tools the DIY can use for this. In any truck, E- or F-Series repairing stripped threads has difficult aspects so its not like vans are automatically more horrible or difficult than pick ups.

Time Sert and Cal-Van are two brands that are widely used rather than the Heil-Coil brand name which is NOT recommended for this procedure. Along with our sub-forums YouTube has plenty of videos of spark plug thread repair done in real time---extremely helpful for someone new to it.

As for your situation OS2 the van's relative worth to you dictates how much more you want to put into it. Done correctly the Time Sert process is proven to be the cure, remains permanently repaired and down time minimized if that's a concern when doing this DIY.

IF you pull the heads and refresh the engine you could install 8 Time Sert's and forever avoid issues with stripped plug holes---at the same time check the cam timing chain system and upgrade it too if so moved. That's huge if though, not the route I'd recommend.

One final issue that maybe makes this "gremlin laden dinosaur" argument less silly is work performed under the previous owner's care----did they create the conditions where blowing spark plugs might happen to the remaining cylinders? Tough to tell but its possible, certainly not inevitable---that part of this equation remains unknown sad to say.

Best advice offered here is read through the sub-forum here: Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums to get a hands on actual experience with this repair procedure----that'll be very informative I'm sure.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:34 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
officespace2

You are new here, so this is the part where have to I inform you that Mr. Knowitall JWA has an unspecified personal issue with me, and he enjoys trying to make trouble with me through his coffee-fueled rants, which probably sound really intelligent to him.

Lots of great other people on here though.

Please carry on.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:37 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Im50fast
You are new here, so this is the part where have to I inform you that Mr. Knowitall JWA has an unspecified personal issue with me, and he enjoys trying to make trouble with me through his coffee-fueled rants, which probably sound really intelligent to him.

Lots of great other people on here though.

Please carry on.

Good gosh you'd think "adults" could/would be willing to accept strong opinions are sometimes met with opposing views. Then again 'adult" isn't always applied correctly to so many.

If offering said opposing view is considered having "unspecified personal issue" with someone well guilty as charged.

OS2 read through the Modular Motor forums about your issue and decide for yourself. Chances are you'll not think of your van as ready for the scrap yard or about to be a "gremlin laden dinosaur"!

Old 12-29-2015, 08:52 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
JWA

^^^ see what I mean?

Aside from his issues with me he's a great contributor here.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:31 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
16year old vehicles are (generally speaking) a bad idea for regular usage.

With that said, 200,000 miles is not likely problematic for the bottom end of the engine. In its next 100,000 miles you'll experience plenty of gremlins (which will make you a regular visitor/new family member on this forum), but not likely related to bottom end/rotating assembly.

We "never" have those kind of problems reported on here, aside from oil sludge/caking issues from lack of oil changes.

You already bought the truck, so you're basically stuck with it. Pull the valve covers and put a borescope up the drain plug to inspect the bottom end. If all is well, then proceed with your cylinder head repair.

Keep us posted!
Amazon.com: DBPOWER 2Million Pixels 5M USB Waterproof HD 6LED Borescope Endoscope Inspection Tube Camera: Industrial & Scientific Amazon.com: DBPOWER 2Million Pixels 5M USB Waterproof HD 6LED Borescope Endoscope Inspection Tube Camera: Industrial & Scientific

I just borrowed one of these, so far so good and it's pretty inexpensive I'm going to buy one.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:19 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by vettex2

I just borrowed one of these, so far so good and it's pretty inexpensive I'm going to buy one.

I don't have a laptop but seeing those I can't imagine them not being helpful in some of our adventures. Prices seem to stay well under $100 and the built-in LED lighting makes these almost throw-away items.

Not sure how much inspection can be done to the main bearing journals or rods tolerance-wise though.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:45 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I own the HF borescope. The Amazon one is better is come ways , the HF one in others.
HF, bendable but stiff
Amazon, longer and smaller head
Both are lighted on the tip.