water in oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Jeff heine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
It would probably be wise to change the oil again in fairly short order
yes sir, bought two filters 7 gallons of oil and two quarts of Lucas. If it's all still good in the morning I'm gonna change it. So far it looks perfect. I let it idle 30 minutes. The drove 3 or 4 miles.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:30 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^ Then you get to drain it and change it again. Additives are a BAD idea in oil that's used to run the engine hydraulically. Even Lucas doesn't recommend its standard product in HEUI engines.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:55 AM
Jeff heine
Senior User
It is. On the bottle it's says use 1quart for powerstrokes

Old 12-30-2015, 09:40 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ It does say you can run it, but from experience of many we all would suggest not too. Take it back and save your money or run one additional oil change through the motor for the returned price....

Old 12-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Jeff heine
Senior User
What issues have you had with Lucas. I've run it for years.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:12 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
They have pics of the bottle labels on their web site, and there is no mention of Powerstrokes. On the product pages, they specifically recommend ONLY the SYNTHETIC stabilizer; they even mention this on page for their "Heavy Duty" stabilizer. In any event, a properly-maintained engine doesn't need any such additives, and messing with the chemistry of oil that's specifically formulated for hydraulic applications is a roll of the dice at best.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:18 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen it destroy injector orings on dozens of trucks. This is coming from someone who used it all the time a few years back and did not know better. We had a logging fleet of (7) 7.3s and ran it on all of them. I was re ringing injectors every winter, specifically the pink one would be destoyed. Poppet valve clearances tightened up extremely fast too not sure if this was related, but since has also gone away. Did not matter if it was a reputable injector builder, or Alliant OE replacements. 5 years ago we stopped using it. I have not touched one set of injectors since...

That's why we stopped using it. Could it be another reason that was causing this? Sure it could, but the only thing that changed was removing lucas from the mix. Its an excellent product, just not in HEUi motors. Maybe they have a new formula out now that supposedly works. I do not know. Run a quality oil with a quality filter and chnage on reasonable intervals and there is no reason to run any oil additive. Oil changes are expensive enough on these trucks already if you drive a lot.

Note that orings were all purchased from the same source, and are still the same source OE rings that are on there now. Injectors were all swapped with a reputable manufacturer( Rosewood, Alliant, or swamps). Fuel was pump station fuel, oil was T6 on 5k intervals with Donaldson oil filters.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Jeff heine
Senior User
Okay, no more Lucas
All was good this morning and after using it today. Need to drain water and put in the fleetcharge and change the oil.....BUT, I have a small leak on the oil filter/oil cooler adapter. I can see it running down between the adapter and the block. I don't want to tighten the bolts any tighter ( does anyone know the torque for these bolts). I installed the gasket dry it had rubber around the ports on the gasket. I think I can replace this gasket without removing the oil cooler, not sure. Any suggestions?