$100 DUI Dizzies? "Oh yeah!"

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 08:48 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
$100 DUI Dizzies? "Oh yeah!"

Has anyone seen these? I'll bet they have the magical words on them that always seem to mean 'operate at your own risk': Made in China.

875 Distributor Ford 300 F 150 F 250 Pickup Hei Cap Upgrade Coil Module Included | eBay

Old 12-22-2015, 03:14 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I think I'd rebuild a DSII distributor before trusting a cheap Chinese DUI knock off. But I don't like the idea of running a gm design part on my Ford anyways.

It may work fine or it could fail at a really bad time. Or give you weird ignition problems that could drive you nuts trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

But just about every replacement part is made in china now.

This is another choice for the people that want the gm hei set up but can't or don't want to spend what the DUI's cost. But something tells me the DUI's have a whole lot more care and attention to details put into them then those knock offs do.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:30 AM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
I replaced my DSII box with the HEI unit in my truck. Instead of buying a relatively expensive HEI hermaphrodite distributor I installed two of these units in the space of where my DSII box lived. And two were less expensive than one DSII box. I'm not about not recognizing other brands' brilliant ideas and stealing them. If I was I'd have to take out all my Powerglide racing transmissions from my race cars.

Oh, and all my starter motors.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of components for various makes of vehicles come from a single source with the only difference being...the decal.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:58 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Very interesting.

I know for the V8 crowd, there's these:

Skip White Performance Detail Description

They're actually quite popular. Buy two of them and swap one out with their lifetime warranty if anything ever goes wrong. They just don't make them for the 300.

I looked at other options before going with the DUI, but there were NONE, so it's interesting to actually see one.

Originally Posted by Harte3
A lot of components for various makes of vehicles come from a single source with the only difference being...the decal.
While this is true in a lot of cases, DUI actually makes theirs in house, by hand. Hence their cost. It's also why I went with them. Pay once and get the best.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:36 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
Pay once and get the best.
I agree with you, AB, and Fordman: I would not run this dizzy. I'd be afraid of failure at any moment.

I would, however, doubt whether the module in the DUI is made in the US.

Side note: the oem DS2 module lasted 40+ years. The replacement Chinese one held up for 4 years. I would carry a replacement 4 pin.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:15 AM
avellaneda13
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got one for Christmas and waiting to install it i needed to switch out the feedback carb for a non-feedback and needed the ignition system to go with it. I have been battling to find a harness for the dura spark conversion so i rolled the dice with this, i guess only time will tell. Looks like a good unit ill post pics and stuff after the install

Old 12-29-2015, 09:48 AM
AbandonedBronco
Heya Avellaneda, that'll be really interesting to hear how it works out! Fortunately, most of the electronics on it are available at most parts stores, and you can always carry spares.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:10 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by avellaneda13
I got one for Christmas and waiting to install it i needed to switch out the feedback carb for a non-feedback and needed the ignition system to go with it. I have been battling to find a harness for the dura spark conversion so i rolled the dice with this, i guess only time will tell. Looks like a good unit ill post pics and stuff after the install
Good luck with the new distributor. Post your results so others can decide if they want to run one.

And there's not much to the DSII harness. They are pretty easy to make from scratch if needed. Or if someone wanted to spend a lot of money I believe Painless Wiring has a universal DSII harness.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:22 AM
avellaneda13
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordman75
Good luck with the new distributor. Post your results so others can decide if they want to run one.

And there's not much to the DSII harness. They are pretty easy to make from scratch if needed. Or if someone wanted to spend a lot of money I believe Painless Wiring has a universal DSII harness.

Thanks Yeah i figured that but i wasn't sure about the wiring Im not much at electrical

Old 12-29-2015, 11:50 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Thanks Yeah i figured that but i wasn't sure about the wiring Im not much at electrical
I know you don't need it now but someone else might need it. Here is a post on the DSII wiring harness. It has the wiring diagram. It even list part #'s for all the connectors.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ctors-diy.html

And here's the links for the new aftermarket DSII harnesses. Not cheap but ready to plug in.

Ford Duraspark Ignition Harness We Make Wiring THAT Easy!

Painless Performance Duraspark II Distributor Wiring Harnesses 30812 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Old 12-29-2015, 12:05 PM
avellaneda13
Junior User
also i leave this for how im planning to wire i got from user ArdWrknTrk

ArdWrknTrk
Get a 30A Bosch style relay and socket with a screw tab.
Mount it near the fender starter relay.
Ground the relay (85) to the mounting screw.
Use the existing coil wire to trigger the relay (86).
Run 10Ga. primary wire from the battery+ terminal of the starter relay (30).
Run the 10Ga. output wire from (87) the Bosch relay to your new HEI.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:52 PM
avellaneda13
Junior User
Running great

Old 01-11-2016, 08:29 AM
AbandonedBronco
Looks good!
Is your vacuum advance still capped off on the distributor? If so, any particular reason?

Old 01-11-2016, 08:34 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

hey can you let me know what carb your going with, im in the trying to accomplish same thing. id love to see the install.

Quick Reply: $100 DUI Dizzies? "Oh yeah!"