1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1972 SWB f100 CV and Mark8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 04:32 PM
drc9723
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 SWB f100 CV and Mark8 swap

wanting to do a bumpside project for a few years. My earliest memory of riding in a pickup truck as a kid, was in my grand father's 1968 F100. Living in Ontario, Canada, trucks in good condition are hard to come by. I watched classified adds, but nothing ever really came up. I knew i wanted a shortbox fleetside truck, which narrowed the search more...

I just happened to be talking to someone and they mentioned to try this "guy" they knew, he might have what i was looking for.
As luck would have it, he did and it was close to home, only an hr. drive. A 1972 SWB F100 from South Carolina, that he had bought years ago with the thought of restoring, was sitting in his shed. He no longer had the time to spend on the truck, so after some talking, a deal was reached and the truck was mine!

Over the past few months i have been collecting pieces, with a plan in mind. I bought a 2007 crown vic, that i've removed the IFS from. I also purchased a 1993 Lincoln Mark8 that I will remove the engine and IRS from. (I got the EVTM and factory wiring diagrams for the Mark to help with the engine swap)

I don't have the skills that some do on this forum, but I'm looking forward to learning as I go. This will be my first attempt at an automotive project. Over the years I've restored antique tractors, so I'm hoping this won't be much more complicated.
I'm sure the project wont go as quickly as I'd like. (we have a 10 month old running around the house that seems to require a lot of my spare time!) I will update as I progress.

My thought for the body is to try to remove the light green paint to see what's under it. I like the idea of the patina look (i know some will say its just a fad). Hopefully the "Mallard Green" underneath is decent. The only real rust issue that i can find is small part of the cab floor at the rockers on each side.

I think I'm going to get a 67 thru 69 style painted grill to put in the truck, I like that look better then 70 thru 72 grills. I'll get painted front and rear bumpers to match the grill. And my initial thought is to run some steelies for rims. From what i can figure 18" full size spares from an Explorer should work with the CV IFS and i'll need some adapters to install them on the Mark IRS. I think 18"s with a smallish side wall would look good on this truck.

Thanks to all the people who take the time to post about their trucks. I've learned so much from reading (and looking at pics) on here!

Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-21-2015, 08:59 PM
mblayton
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice looking project. Where in Ontario are you? I am in Niagara Falls.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:33 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mblayton
Ni-a-gra Falls.. slowly I turn, step by step..... Okay, ya might not get that depending on your vintage.

I bomb thy thread with general guidance:

Crown Victoria/IFS Subframe Retrofit
FTE Thread: davewild's '78 F150
FTE Thread: elgemcdlf's '70 F100 CV IFS & MN-12 IRS
Fordification Thread: Crown Vic in a '71 F100
Fordification Thread: JG_F100's '72 LWB to SWB Conversion & CV Retrofit
FTE Thread: CarCrafter's 67 F100
FTE Thread: RockntheHawk's 77 F100
Team 321's 89-97 Cougar/T-bird/Lincoln MN-12 Independent Rear Suspension Kit
Team 321's 89-97 Cougar/T-bird/Lincoln IRS Installation Article
Classic Trucks Magazine Thread: MN-12 IRS Retrofit

Bam!

Old 12-21-2015, 10:03 PM
mblayton
More Turbo
Oh I know it well...Three Stooges, I have been watching them for as long as I can remember (53 years now), and still watch when they are on the tube

Old 12-21-2015, 10:14 PM
drc9723
Trailering
Originally Posted by mblayton
I'm near Kingston.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:49 PM
spdcat72
Senior User
Originally Posted by drc9723
wanting to do a bumpside project for a few years. My earliest memory of riding in a pickup truck as a kid, was in my grand father's 1968 F100. Living in Ontario, Canada, trucks in good condition are hard to come by. I watched classified adds, but nothing ever really came up. I knew i wanted a shortbox fleetside truck, which narrowed the search more...

I just happened to be talking to someone and they mentioned to try this "guy" they knew, he might have what i was looking for.
As luck would have it, he did and it was close to home, only an hr. drive. A 1972 SWB F100 from South Carolina, that he had bought years ago with the thought of restoring, was sitting in his shed. He no longer had the time to spend on the truck, so after some talking, a deal was reached and the truck was mine!

Over the past few months i have been collecting pieces, with a plan in mind. I bought a 2007 crown vic, that i've removed the IFS from. I also purchased a 1993 Lincoln Mark8 that I will remove the engine and IRS from. (I got the EVTM and factory wiring diagrams for the Mark to help with the engine swap)

I don't have the skills that some do on this forum, but I'm looking forward to learning as I go. This will be my first attempt at an automotive project. Over the years I've restored antique tractors, so I'm hoping this won't be much more complicated.
I'm sure the project wont go as quickly as I'd like. (we have a 10 month old running around the house that seems to require a lot of my spare time!) I will update as I progress.

My thought for the body is to try to remove the light green paint to see what's under it. I like the idea of the patina look (i know some will say its just a fad). Hopefully the "Mallard Green" underneath is decent. The only real rust issue that i can find is small part of the cab floor at the rockers on each side.

I think I'm going to get a 67 thru 69 style painted grill to put in the truck, I like that look better then 70 thru 72 grills. I'll get painted front and rear bumpers to match the grill. And my initial thought is to run some steelies for rims. From what i can figure 18" full size spares from an Explorer should work with the CV IFS and i'll need some adapters to install them on the Mark IRS. I think 18"s with a smallish side wall would look good on this truck.

Thanks to all the people who take the time to post about their trucks. I've learned so much from reading (and looking at pics) on here!
I'll go ahead and say, Welcome to FTE. I'm relatively new here, and I'm working on a 72 SWB as well. I still haven't figured out how to post pictures though.
There are a lot of folks on here who are very knowledgable and helpful! Keep us updated!

Old 12-21-2015, 11:04 PM
ozblitz
Junior User
Im in the same boat, just got my 1st bumpside. It is wrecked, but i already picked up the front clip. I havent figured out how to post pics either?

Old 12-21-2015, 11:48 PM
cowboylogic57
Laughing Gas
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Welcome.
Looks like a nice project. It will be nice to watch the progress.
What kind of tractors have you restored? I'm a tractor and antique engine guy also.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:41 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
drc9723, welcome to the forum. These people on here are the best! If you give all of the info on what you're working on, someone on here can help or at least give suggestions.
Read the posts that Hio Silver has put here and it will help you a ***** load.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:16 AM
drc9723
Trailering
Originally Posted by cowboylogic57
Welcome.
Looks like a nice project. It will be nice to watch the progress.
What kind of tractors have you restored? I'm a tractor and antique engine guy also.
i'm a John Deere guy... my father and I have a bunch of Deere's that we've restored over the years.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:28 PM
cowboylogic57
Laughing Gas
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Nice. I'm a John Deere guy also, good to have you on here.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:21 PM
danhigor
Cross-Country
Welcome aboard,

Looking forward to following along with your progress.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:15 AM
Uni Moe
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
To post pictures just click on the yellow square with the mountains. (insert image). Beats the heck out of using image hosting sites.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:30 PM
drc9723
Trailering
Thought I'd post an update. It's been way too long!
I haven't had much time to work on the 72.
I've been in the parts gathering stage.
The IFS is out of the crown Vic. I also cut the mounting bushing out the frame to weld into the truck frame.

I was reading online about crown Vic's and happened to see that there was a steering shaft recall a couple years ago. My steering shaft is very rusty and that was the issue and was the reason for the recall.

I called my local Ford store, talked to the service manager and he ran my VIN. My car was in the recall and never was repaired. So long story short, he ordered a complete new steering shaft for me. I think I should be able to use most of it for the truck! Gotta love free parts!

I came across some cheap 18" steelies from an Explorer in the classifieds, so I grabbed them. I think I'll put some 255/45R18's on all four corners.

I also have collected a trac loc diff with 4.10 gears form a junk yard Ranger. I'll put the internals from it into the Mark VIII diff, when I get it out of the car.

I had a few hrs. today to myself, so I got some work done on the Mark VIII. Ive got most of the interior out of the car and am carefully pulling the complete wire harness (labelling everything as I go). There is a ton of wiring in this car!!! The EVTM is a huge help! I wouldn't want to try this without it!

After I get the harness out, I'll start pulling the engine, trans, and IRS.

Hopefully the next update will be much quicker to come than this one was!

Old 07-02-2016, 11:03 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
What is an EVTM?..

Quick Reply: 1972 SWB f100 CV and Mark8 swap