6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

hydrolocked 6.7 2014 how to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 05:24 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hydrolocked 6.7 2014 how to start

Hi all

I bought a flood damaged 2014 F350 from auction, front had been underwater up to instrument cluster (which I already replaced)

Engine just clicked so I assumed it was hydrolocked. After lots of hassle, finally removed all injectors, craned engine, water sprayed out, used some marvel mystery oil in cylinders (worked fine on similar mercedes) re emptied cylinders after a few days, replaced injectors, cranks over perfectly.

problem is just does not want to start, please can someone give me some tips on what to try next, I have VCM2 IDS and it gives the following error codes. (have ordered new SCCM and TCM) Would any of these stop the vehicle from firing? any tips welcome thanks

PCM codes

U0212 Lost communication with SCCM
P0100 Mass or volume Air flow circuit
(no additional failure type information)
P0113 IAT Sensor 1 Circuit High Input
P0193 FRP Sensor High Input
P0480 Fan1 Control Circuit

IPC Codes
U0212 Lost Communication with SCCM
U0137 Lost communication with trailer brake control module

BCM Codes
U0221 Lost communication with SCCM
U3003 Battery voltage
B10D7 PATS Key type 87 missing message (previously detected, not currently present)

Option equipment modules
FAIL CDIR Circuit deactivation ignition module (unable to communicate)

Old 12-15-2015, 05:49 PM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Second thread ive said "WOW" to today...i would think the ecm and tcm would need be replaced to start with. Now im not a 6.7 mechanic, however i do know there is a unbelievable amount of electronics on these engines that all have to play together to have the engine running. Good luck keep us posted

Old 12-15-2015, 05:55 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I would be the issue is fuel related. Did you check/change fuel filters and the oil as well?

I would not be surprised if the HPFP is toast. You are not showing that code but with all that water I would be suspect.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
All the "U" codes are communication errors. I would disconnect any connector and spray with sometime like WD-40 to displace any water that might be in the connectors.

As stated, you might need to replace some electronic modules such as ECM, TCM, etc. that were submerged. You will need a Ford computer with internet access to download the "as built" data to any replaced module that is toast.

Also each injector has a fuel curve code that has to be programmed into the ECM.

I would also do as suggested above and check the fuel system for water.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm no 6.7 mechanic either, but I have done some vehicle rebuilds in the past.

I would think the first thing anyone would do is change ALL the fluids out as you don't know what was contaminated with water or not. Brake, coolant, fuel, oil, tranny, gear fluids. I might leave the windshield washer fluid alone...

There is electrical contact spray that might be better than wd40. I know I like it better than wd40. (Although I admit I Will use wd40 if that is all I have).

Hopefully this was in fresh water up to IC and not salt water...

You have to resolve the communications errors, because the computer may not be getting all of the errors... It used to be simple, a vehicle needed air, fuel, (and spark if gas) and away you went. Things like the ignition and accelerator were actually physically connected to the engine and not computer driven. That mass air flow error code may prevent a start as the engine doesn't think it's getting any (or WAAAAAY too much air). If it isn't stopping it from starting, it sure won't let the motor run right.

Have you compression tested the motor yet?

Old 12-15-2015, 08:09 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
have not compression tested the motor yet, but I did check all pistons when the injectors were out to make sure no rods were broken (fixed mercedes ML350 recently that had snapped a rod when hydrolocked, had to replace rod and piston)

I did not check the diesel itself, thought the fuel system was sealed, but would not hurt to drain and replace with nice fresh diesel

as for the errors, there were a shedload to begin with, it was not communicating with the pcm and many other modules, I ended up having to change out the entire front fuse box as many connectors were corroded, must have spliced close to a hundred wires, once I did that all the modules began speaking again.

I did notice the wire on the starter battery ground is super hot, not sure if it could be related, will check all the connects again next

I appreciate the advice, was hoping ti would be a nice simple code that led to the error, but may not be so lucky

Old 12-15-2015, 08:11 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Fuel system is notoriously picky in these beasts... When you try to start it do you hear the fuel pump come on?

I know when I remote start it, you hear the pump before it tries to start...

Old 12-15-2015, 08:52 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
had not changed the filter yet, that will be next job

I think the hpfp is working as fuel spewed everywhere under pressure when I had disconnected the fuel rail and cranked it to remove water water removing injectors (forgot to remove pump relay)

Old 12-15-2015, 09:06 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Sounds like the pump is working then. There are two fuel filters, one larger one under the driver's door and one smaller one under the hood... Pretty sure you found the one under the hood based on the fuel going everywhere and releasing a fuel line... But just to make sure.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:31 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Dude, you are one brave soul for taking on this "project". Have you at least tried to monitor some live data as you attempt to crank the engine over to start it? By what your first post in this thread, I assume you can already crank the engine over with the turn of the key. If this is so, it sounds like at the very least, the TCM, BCM, IPC and PCM are online in the network. How about navigating to datalogger, powertrain and engine, then selecting FRP desired, FRP actual, FUEL_PW, VCV, PCV, RPM, VPWR and SYNC? What do they show at key-on/engine-off? What do they change to as you crank the engine over attempting to start the engine? Have you tried running a relative compression test with IDS? If so, do you get all "green bars" for all eight cylinders?

Old 12-15-2015, 10:01 PM
terrymargate
Junior User
thanks m-chan68, thats good advice

I'm still learning the IDS, I've previously fixed 4 flood damaaged mercedes for myself and am currently working on a 2014 gl450 too, I know my way around mercedes xentry das etc but this IDS is all new to me.

I did program the new cluster today, that went fine.

all of the main modules are online and talking except the SCCM and TCM

am off to NYC tomorrow, will follow your advice when I get back Sunday and check the live data when cranking and do compression test etc

thanks again

Old 12-16-2015, 05:11 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
When you change the filters be sure to only put the OEM type back on. Oil filters can be had anywhere. Fuel filters are a little harder to find.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:44 AM
terrymargate
Junior User
thats for the tip

have just ordered full set of oem

Old 12-17-2015, 12:10 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Under what kind of water?
Fresh, brackish, salt?

Brackish or salt I would think at the least every electrical item and harness that got wet.

Sandy truck? Sure were a lot of those being offered around here.