1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Welded ZF6 Shifter Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:38 PM
BlackZF6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Welded ZF6 Shifter Mod

How-to the welded solid shifter mod for the ZF6. This will make your ZF6 the gearbox it was meant to be. Big thanks to those who went before me on this mod.

You will need:

• Torx socket
  • Vise
  • Pipe Wrench
  • Saw
  • JB Weld
  • 12-24 hrs cure
The shifter consists of three pieces- stub coming from gearbox, short silver section, and long black lever. Slide the shift boot down to expose the two bolts and remove shifter. These are torx, not allan. Mine were pre-stripped

Mark a line between silver and black handle so you can align later for shift pattern diagram. The silver section has a large rubber bushing that is pressed into the black shifter. Clamp silver section in vise and rotate black lever with pipe wrench. Once the rubber is busted loose the shifter will come apart easily.

Cut the rubber bushing out. Do not cut polymer guides. Your shift boot goes on the bottom one. Do as I say, not as I did

Scuff/clean polymer guides and inside shifter. Apply weld generously to polymer and inside shifter. Align marks. Push silver piece all the way into black shifter and wait minimum 12 hours. Installation is reverse of removal. NOTE: pushing the pieces all the way together will set the polymer guides securely in handle. Handle will be 1/2" shorter overall giving a slight short-throw effect. May have to trim black bottom section to reinstall boot.

Road Test Review

Shifts are straight and firm. Audible noise as the shifter moves through the gates. Very minor vibration and odd noises noted. Some short-throw achieved by reducing overall height and eliminating slop. Reminds me of my old 460 / 4 spd Bronco. Just the way I like it

Possibilities:
  • eliminate factory shifters and weld/bolt round stock in its place.
  • replace shift blocks part # E7TZ-7C371-A
  • add insulation under boot to reduce noise/heat/cold
  • Midwest short throw shifter

Old 12-14-2015, 08:50 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, what is the reason for this mod ?