6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Looking for a reputable diesel mechanic in northern MS

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 01:12 PM
KLK04
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

New to the forum. Does anyone know of a good diesel mechanic/shop to work on my 2004 F250 6.0 in northern MS?

Thanks for any help

Kelly

Old 12-14-2015, 03:04 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What part of N. MS?

Old 12-14-2015, 03:54 PM
KLK04
Freshman User
Paris south of Oxford.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:51 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Two decent shops in Hernando. Pounders (small shop not fast but good) and Burleson (big shop and pretty quick)

What kinda trouble are you having?

Old 12-14-2015, 05:50 PM
KLK04
Freshman User

I been trying to figure out how the oil is getting into the cylinders. Thought maybe turbo seals. Disconnected the down pipe to have a look & its completely dry & looks like normal. So took out the EGR valve & there is evidence of some type of liquid. Can't tell if its coolant or oil. I keep the oil at the high mark on the dipstick. Checked it the other day & the oil was down on the mark some but still in the safe zone on level ground & cold. I always check it cold on level ground lol. Before about 2 weeks ago the oil has always been at the high mark every time I check it. As for the coolant, it seems to fluctuate between the minimum & high mark without me adding any. The truck is stock other than 4" turbo back straight exhaust. Edge Insight Monitor, Sinister diesel coolant & Amsoil Bypass filter with Amsoil 15w40, Blue spring upgrade & ELC coolant. Temps are never more than 10 to 11 degrees towing my jeep on 16ft car hauler at 75mph. Normal driving they are 6 to 8 degrees. I bought this truck with 105,000 from Moore Bros in Oxford back in Jan of this year. Truck runs great & is strong. Has 119,000 on it now. Have noticed the boost up to 28 psi now & this just happened in the past couple weeks. Truck never smoked for months, then started noticing blue smoke on morning start ups until warmed up but not every time. The other day drove it to Batesville, got out & it was blowing a little blue smoke while idling. Drove it home, checked it while idling & no smoke. Drove it the next day to Pontotoc & back home, no smoke at all. Next day went to town, got home & took the vid of it smoking. Next morning took it up to Moores so they could check it out because it still has 10k left on warranty, of course no smoke & they couldn't find anything wrong using their equipment. Mechanic said all the imjectors were working like their suppose to. Left there went to the car wash, gave it a bath, left it running the whole time & no smoke. Left car wash & ran it down the road to blow the water off the truck did a u-turn & got on it coming back into town, pulled into Krogers, put in park & boom!! Smoking like a train!! Blue smoke. Drove back to the dealer, no smoke!! Drove home, a little bit of smoke & then it quit smoking. That was 2 days ago. Started up today after re-installing the EGR valve & let it idle. No smoke. It seems to only smoke at idle when it decides to smoke from what I've seen so far. Pulled the intake off the inlet side of the turbo & barely a drop of oil in there.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:06 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro

What is the Ficm volts?
More than likely its a turbo seal. The residue in the intake could be from crankcase ventilation and or a mix of carbon and coolant. Would have to park nose down (rear lifted) to see if ot gets wet overnight.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:46 PM
KLK04
Freshman User
FICM volts are 47.5 to 48

I was thinking of taking it to Ford in Batesville tomorrow & letting them have a look at it. It would be great if I could fix it myself but I hate to start spending $$$ on replacement parts & to end up finding a resolution through process of elimination. Upon buying this truck I knew at some point headstuds, gaskets & all the above was gonna need to be done at some point. I've been reading on bulletproofing the truck since I got it last January & some of my thoughts are "who do you let do the work" around here? My cousin says Ford in Batesville is pretty good but trying to see who else is out there. I appreciate the info on the other two shops you mentioned. I'll have to give them a call.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:54 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Everything is fixable without throwing parts at it!! Just need proper trouble shooting. You probably have a bad turbo seal on the exhaust side. You can unhook the downpipe and have a look. I bet you have oil residue. As far as finding anything at that ford dealer I doubt they will. About all that would be worth while there would be a true injector contibution test with ids. Doing a turbo clean and reseal is easy and not very expensive either. Lots of good threads on here fpr it.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:13 PM
KLK04
Freshman User
Yes sir I understand with having a good diagnosis. So yeah I unhooked the exhaust pipe/down pipe from the turbo earlier today & it was covered in a consistent & uniform black sooty layer of what looks to be normal exhaust. I couldn't see any swirling or irregularity in the color or consistency of the exhaust residue in the pipe. Trust me it would have made me feel alot better to have seen obvious signs of oil in the exhaust pipe. I want to believe its the turbo also. So hopefully resealing it will fix it.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:23 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
May also clean up the ebp and map. Think of it like this if I remember correctly--black smoke is fuel, blue smoke is oil, and white smoke is coolant or fuel (I think that's right) One other thing could be extreme blowby but kinda doubt it. How does the CAC look on the bottom outlet going to the turbo inlet?

Old 12-15-2015, 07:39 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
What is the Ficm volts?
More than likely its a turbo seal. The residue in the intake could be from crankcase ventilation and or a mix of carbon and coolant. Would have to park nose down (rear lifted) to see if ot gets wet overnight.

This would be my diagnosis also. My truck did the same exact same thing for quite a while until I changed the turbo, which had been rebuilt a couple or 3 times. It would use oil sometimes and sometimes not. Never smoked much because it was leaking on the intake side and the oil was getting burned, but I was using quite a bit.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:50 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Generally oil or coolant blows white. This is from vail pass when me n Julie sheared the main shaft

I also just pulled a cracked tip injector out of a truck last night and it was smoking blue.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:57 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Thanks Anthony---I had some general info on smoke color but I sure wasn't firm on it.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:02 AM
KLK04
Freshman User
Thanks for the info gentlemen! So should I reseal it or go with a new unit & if a new unit, which one from which company?

Old 12-15-2015, 10:23 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Myself I'd reseal just from the $$ aspect but if money isn't that much of an issue I'd put a new one on. Maybe try to get one that doesn't have a core charge and you can tear yours down and play around with it and have a spare. I know npccpartsman is partial to a particular one.

Quick Reply: Looking for a reputable diesel mechanic in northern MS