New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side

Old 12-29-2015, 08:14 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
Good progress! And all by yourself.

And, it sounds like Tabco is doing you right.
Progress I have to get as much done now because after the holidays and if it is not raining work is going to get in the way of working on it. Up at 3am and not home till some days after 7pm leaves weekends and family things need to be done then.

Yes Tabco was looking out for me. When they called I thought they were going to say some panels were back ordered. Shocked when they said you don't need XXX because it is covered by this other XXX that you also ordered.
Also of the 3 or 4 places I looked for panels they had the better prices to boot
Dave ----

Old 12-29-2015, 08:46 PM
reamer
Postmaster
reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.
Man!... your just a "dedicated" as a lot of us.

Absolutely save the tail crossmember, it's on that bad.

The head cross beam, I would go for new, and as for the head-panel, I can't tell from the photo, it is supposed to have a 90 degree bend (or 2) and all the bolt holes for the head crossmember, are they there or completely rusted away?

Old 12-29-2015, 09:28 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by reamer View Post
Man!... your just a "dedicated" as a lot of us.

Absolutely save the tail crossmember, it's on that bad.

The head cross beam, I would go for new, and as for the head-panel, I can't tell from the photo, it is supposed to have a 90 degree bend (or 2) and all the bolt holes for the head crossmember, are they there or completely rusted away?
The tail cross member is 50/50 on the save. With both ends rotted is an easy fix but that inner one will be a little harder. Think looking at 2 to 3 hr to fix it to use just thinking my time could be better used else where.

Front will be replaced no question about that.

The panel, that 90* lip is gone, no holes at all left and the rot goes up maybe 2+ inches. Comes down to if I can buy a pre-bent lip in the size I need so I can cut off that 2+ inch up all the way across and maybe spot weld the lip on. Could use the new front beam for marking the holes on that lip for drilling.

The bed will be one of the last things to do, need to get the truck fixed and on the road first.
Dave ----

Old 12-30-2015, 03:33 PM
reamer
Postmaster
reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.
Buy a whole new head board, The time spent welding that correctly - not worth it -
I bought the headboard, not that expensive...

Old 12-31-2015, 06:52 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by reamer View Post
Buy a whole new head board, The time spent welding that correctly - not worth it -
I bought the headboard, not that expensive...
Kind of what I am thinking the same with the 2 cross beams.
Then again after fixing the floor with patch panels who wants to mess with more rust!

Heading out soon to get paint for the frame and see if I can find a spot weld drill bit or two as I forgot to order one from Eastwood the other day. Hope to have the patch panels in hand by days end.

Then next 3 days the wife will think I left her as most of my time will be out in my garage
Dave ----

Old 12-31-2015, 09:13 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
After finding a local auto body supply store near me, I am new to the area as of April, for a spot weld drill bit and picked up paint for the frame I started back on scraping the frame of grease, dirt and old under coating.
Then hit it with a wire brush & de-greaser and this was all done in the rain!

Also got the patch panels for the cab so test fitted them to see what I have or don't have that I will have to make. Then saw I had an issue of how the cab was supported........by saw horses under the rockers! Cant replace rockers if supported by them so with help from the wife I was able to support it under the cab/frame mounts.

Also cut the Ubolts off the leaf springs to axel as I could not get them to un-screw off will need to pick up new ones if I cant use the ones from the parts truck.
Will get pictures tomorrow
Dave ----

Old 12-31-2015, 09:37 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Double post

Old 01-01-2016, 06:52 AM
billabongboy73
Senior User
billabongboy73 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Glad to hear the weather hasn't slowed you down. I would blame the rain but it's just my laziness that gets in the way.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:15 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by billabongboy73 View Post
Glad to hear the weather hasn't slowed you down. I would blame the rain but it's just my laziness that gets in the way.
The rain helped a little to wash the crud off the frame but still needed to roll out 200 ft of water hose to wash it good.

That is what is happening on my 70 AMC Javelin street car, laziness. It needs so much more body work, I hate body work, that I keep putting it off. It just needs the front & rear glass custom flush mounted, roof and after the doors body work done as I have done the rest of the body work on the car.
Thing is there are vary few parts made for this or any AMC car and it gets me down so another reason why I am not working on it.

Now to head out to the garage to get going on this truck by end of weekend I would like to have the frame painted and the cab patch panels in place.
Dave ----

Old 01-01-2016, 07:22 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Good luck, Dave! Keep us posted.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:47 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Did not get as much done on the truck as I wanted to. After up late last night I got a late start and then I was not feeling good so stopped early.

I started on the drivers side as it is the worst and I can look at the pass side to see how it should be. Drilled out a lot of spot welds and I am sure I have more on this side to deal with yet. Rocker is out and working on the cab corner and inner rear post. Once I have them fitted and maybe tack welded I will work on the floor fitting.
There is some of the front & rear posts not covered by the patches so will need to make them.
The other is the fool does not go back all the way to cover the rust. I ordered full inner floor patches but Tabco called and said the front floor covers half the inner floor, sent a flat panel to use for the rear part on both sides so saved $100+ there.

The other thing I found with the patches is no lip for the door gasket to push onto. I know you can buy panels with this lip but Tabco I don't think does as I did not see them listed as such.
I think I can use part of the old rockers for this lip and fit it between rocker and floor pans.

Cab corner will be cut down as it does not need to go up that high. I am still trimming the old panel off under it and fitting the inner post.

Dave ----

Old 01-02-2016, 09:18 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
This old man is not as young as he though he was. I also forgot how much time it takes to cut & fit panels on a job like this.
Needless to say my dead line of this weekend having the rust patch panels welded in is not going to happen. Same with painting of the frame.

I got the left side panels fitted. Just need to recheck the fit, make sure where the plug welds will be are ready for welding and weld them in.
Once they are welded I can then make the patch for the rear inner floor, the ones Tabco did not send to save me money but sent a flat sheet to use. I also have a small patch needed at the front post.
The other thing I need to make is the lip the door seal fits on across the bottom of door opening. It will be one of the last things done on both sides.

Dave ----

Old 01-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Yes, it almost always takes longer than you think. But, you are making progress, and that's good!

Old 01-04-2016, 03:30 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.
Wow, I haven't visited your thread in a few weeks and have to say - you are progressing really fast!

Just to encourage you about the bed: as Reamer said, the front panel and crossmembers aren't that expensive. Beyond the time spent repairing them, the replacements will have all the holes in the right places which will save you a lot of time and figuring (particularly the bed mounting bolt holes and the front panel). One other thing that was worth it: the wood mounting blocks that go between the crossmembers and the frame.

Where you can really save money is with the wood floor: you can just use 3/4" plywood or 1x6s & 1x8s from Lowes, and save around $300. You can also use standard carriage bolts rather than some of the other kits out there

Old 01-04-2016, 07:37 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Thanks guys.
I messed up Saturday when I finished working I should have treated the rust with
Oxy-Gone acid so it would dry over night so I could do the welding on Sunday. So Sunday I treated the rust, drilled some holes in panels that my air punch could not reach for plug welding and did a little degreasing of parts so I can paint them when the time comes.

As for painting the frame we got hit with a cold front and cant do it now. No room or heat in the garage either.
I also have not been feeling too good so I did not push to do anything more Sunday or today, no work yet.
I hope to get out tomorrow to get some welding done, no work as of yet. Be nice if the welding on the left side was done other than the patch for the inner floor at rear. I am thinking I will make both sides at the same time so I have to only pull out the metal brake 1 time.

Also need to take the dog to the vet for a check up so that will cut into time with the truck.
Dave ----

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.