New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side - Page 48 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side

Old 03-15-2019, 11:12 PM
Oz Econoline
Senior User
Oz Econoline is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do you know how far from the body line the colour white will start.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:31 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by reamer View Post
Hi Dave
Don't do a single stage paint....
A scratch in single stage is, well, in the paint not an easy repair.
two stage, color then clear, the clear takes the beating, and you don't damage the color, (most of the time...)
Reamer
I already have 2 stages done, inside the cab and the inner fenders & fire wall does that count? LOL
If I had the time, you are painting the truck 2 times (4 base coats & 5 clear coats) and room as I am already painting it in stages then maybe 2 stage paint.
Plan is to paint the bed less fenders and tuck it away. When I paint the white I will do the fenders & cab, tape if off and then do the red.
As you can see to do 2 stage paint would be a LOT more work. Also if I wanted I could do clear over the bed (when together) and cab to protect the paint if I wanted to but I don't see that happing.

Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
This is his beater go to the dump truck lol
A nice looking custom beater.
If it was to nice I would not want to drive or use it LOL

Originally Posted by Oz Econoline View Post
Do you know how far from the body line the colour white will start.
I will have to see when I get that far but if I do the paint thing the red / white will be on the body line with each line maybe in 1/8".
If I do the pin stripe tape it depends on what tape I use. 1 color (1/4" wide so it does not get lost / cant be seen?) I think would be just inside the body line
Multi line tape more than that and I would have to see on what looks good.
I should start looking for the tape stripes I like and buy them so I can figure what I think looks good so come paint time I will have a plan.
It all comes down to how much work I want to make for myself doing this.
Dave ----

Old 03-16-2019, 10:08 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
I got the light holes cut in the bumper.
Because the holes are in the part of the bumper them sweeps back the lights will need to be installed on an angle so they point straight ahead.

Because of this there would be a gap on 1 side and bottom you would see. It took a little time to come up with a filler. I am using 1" wide by maybe 1/8" flat stock I had laying around.
I could not bend it so had to cut the parts and will weld them to the bumper.

I need to buy some grinding stones or burs for my die grinder as I have some cleaning up to do before welding and after to make it look good.
Once the filler is installed I will work on the mounting for the lights.
I have taken pictures and when I get my site back up will post them.
Dave ----