1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side

Old 01-07-2019, 07:45 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
You need an assistant that Loves body work, She works for me, She works for free, and does great work! She and weld too!

Old 01-08-2019, 07:22 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by reamer
Yon need an assistant that Loves body work, She works for me, She works for free, and does great work! She and weld too!

Now you tell me after I am almost done!
Dave - - - -

Old 01-08-2019, 09:50 AM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Now My daughter Amber wants her own 65 Falcon Convertible.... Who am I to say No?...

Old 01-10-2019, 09:28 PM
Johnny Carnes
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
YES! I have had more than enough days to get the body work done and the truck in primer and either was on the forums or finding something else to work on.
Yes I hate body work LOL
Have to see how I feel tomorrow after work but getting up at 2am takes it's toll.
Dave ----
I'm a new owner of a 82 f150 that got from my father in law and a friend sent me this link to look at and read and I really like what you have done with your truck has came along way. But the part about the fender shims when I removed my fenders I don't remember seeing any

Old 01-11-2019, 04:03 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Johnny Carnes
I'm a new owner of a 82 f150 that got from my father in law and a friend sent me this link to look at and read and I really like what you have done with your truck has came along way. But the part about the fender shims when I removed my fenders I don't remember seeing any
There may not be any.
the shims are to get the fender to line up with the door & cowl. You Add OR Remove As needed to line up.
The old factory shims were a wood / hard card border type stuff. What I used is good if you don't need to keep removing and install a bunch of times as it broke apart.
Dave - - - -

Old 01-12-2019, 09:54 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Well the "I hate body work" was not as bad this weekend as I did not have as much body filler to sand.
Had to fire up the heater as it was 40*in the garage, on low it got up to 55* so was not too bad for working.

I pulled the left rear fender off to finish prepping for primer but had a little filler work that needed to be done.
A little filler followed by sanding and the fender is ready for primer just need to prep the 2 fuel doors before priming all of them.

I also adjusted the IGN switch. When I would try and turn the motor off you would have to push in the button to turn the key a little bit more.
If this does not work I will replace the switch. Before I installed it I sprayed it with cleaner & lube and it worked good in my hand but who knows now?

Hope to get out and prim the parts tomorrow and maybe work on the dent in the fender.
Then it will be the final block sanding before paint.
Dave ----

Old 01-14-2019, 09:17 PM
Osagebow
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work, and great pics of the kiddo getting in on the fun!

Old 01-17-2019, 05:40 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Yesterday a box showed up that a member from another forum sent me and it had an 83 - 86 AC compressor brackets and pig tail.
This weekend I would like to get it cleaned up and maybe start the install.

I still need to get a compressor and I found they don't come with manifolds to hook the hoses to the compressor so would need them at about $100 ea.
I also would need hoses because the ones I have are for a 81 that uses a York compressor and will not fit the new Sanden FS6 compressor.
Then add the drier, orifice tube and flush the rest of the system (evap coil) so we have a clean new system.

Little by little we are getting it back together.
Dave ----

Old 01-18-2019, 09:27 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Spent some time on the truck to night.
Went to degrease the AC brackets and found my parts cleaner dry? Guess it evaporated? So went with the sand by of $2.26 gal wash fluid LOL
After washing the grease off I had to give it a dry fitting to see what bolts & spacers I need.
I had to run a tap thru all the holes before I could get any bolts started but it is in place for the fitting.

I need to pull it off for painting and will do that air filter bracket at the same time.
I also need to get some bolts, 7/16-14 for the main bracket to motor and something to use as a spacer.
I also had to change 2 plug wires around so the 90* boot was on #1 plug.

Then the hard part finding and laying out the money for the compressor, hoses, dryer and a few other things to have working AC system.
Dave ----

Old 01-19-2019, 08:43 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Painted the AC brackets then hit the hard ware store for bolts and propane for the shop heater as it ran out just before I started to paint.
Only they had were too long so had to cut them down and rework the threaded ends.
Also had to make a spacer to fit between the AC bracket and the power steering bracket. I found an old ear from a ALT that I cut and filed to fit.
Got the bracket bolted up and ready for the compressor when I get it.

With that done I moved on to wire brush cleaning of the hood hinges & springs and got them painted.
Got the springs installed but the hinge bolts were rusty so had to soak them.
I then went looking for the hood release cable. I think I should of had 2, cant remember if the parts truck had one. After looking for half hour I found only 1 and got it installed.

When I stood back to look over the truck I saw I did not pull and paint the air filter bracket so pulled it and hit with paint.
With the air filter off I adjusted the choke so it would close when cold as it was open about half way. I also raised the fast idle speed a little as it was not working but could of been from choke not closing, time will tell.

After dinner I cleaned the bolts for the hinges and the jack bracket for the fender and hit them with paint.
Hope to get them installed tomorrow.

In looking for the hood cable I pulled out the 2 sets of running boards I have. I will look them over and get the bolts I have together to see what I have to get together before painting.
The plan is to get the bed painted as soon as I can and need to get all that prepped for paint.

When looking for the hood cable I found the bed heat shields from the long bed parts truck. Along with installing the hinges I want to try again on fitting them to the bed.
When at the hard wear store I picked up bolts for the bumpers as I have a custom touch I want to do to them and my look into starting that.

Little by little it is getting done.
Dave ----

Old 01-24-2019, 11:21 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Spent the last 4 days binge reading. All caught up now. Truck is looking good. Looks like you're on the home stretch. Took so long to get caught up I forgot the handful of questions I had for you, other than I was going to ask you about your wheels. Love the look, haven't come across them in a catalog yet. I've anyone has a name or number for them I'd appreciate it. Oh, just remembered, looking forward to hear how the brakes turn out, mine do something similar, but I haven't even looked at them yet. Pedal hangs out on the floor, but truck does stop still, will for sure look into it when it quits working. Again, great job on the truck! Not sure if you realized it or not, but you passed the point of "good looking daily driver" about 20-30 pages ago lol

-Clifton

Old 01-25-2019, 06:20 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Thanks, I think when the cab came off the frame it was pass daily driver LOL.

On the brakes when I got help, son on way to FL from CT, we did the pump pedal 3 time and hold bleeding and that got the pedal up where I was happy. I still need to replace the booster & master as they are leaking.

The wheels came on the truck when I got it.
Someone painted them flat black they are aluminum. I want to remove the paint on the finside as I think that will look nice just don't know how I am going to do that just yet.

Yep home stretch ready for paint but now it is to cold. I need to pull the bed off & apart for painting and has to be off to paint the cab.
Still a lot of work to be done after paint.
Dave - - - -

Old 01-25-2019, 09:25 AM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
The wheels came on the truck when I got it.
Someone painted them flat black they are aluminum. I want to remove the paint on the finside as I think that will look nice just don't know how I am going to do that just yet.
Dave - - - -
Took awhile, but found similar rims using various combinations of turbine, hurricane, and cyclone in the name. This the look you were thinking about?

If you're happy with the quality of the paint on the wheel it looks like you could maybe use those small pads(red ones i think) on your 90 degree sander.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:31 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Kramercd
Took awhile, but found similar rims using various combinations of turbine, hurricane, and cyclone in the name. This the look you were thinking about?

If you're happy with the quality of the paint on the wheel it looks like you could maybe use those small pads(red ones i think) on your 90 degree sander.
Yes that is the look I am after. The paint looks ok but have not checked it out to closely yet.

I was thinking of the same red pads but wonder if they would be to course. May try it on the back side in a spot to see and if not good no one will see it.
After the paint is off polishing the fins so it really pops.
I also need new tires and thinking do I do this before or after?
Tires & rims will be one of the last things to do.
Dave - - - -

Old 01-25-2019, 10:40 AM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Tires before rims? I'd think do the rims except for polishing, in case you need to paint, then tires and polish rim. Then again, order may not really that much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side