Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side

Old 12-24-2015, 12:04 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by whisler View Post
Do you really need the tank switch for the FS? It doesn't have dual tanks does it? I may have the heat/AC controls you need but not the tank switch. This is from an '84.
No don't "really" need it but I want to add a 2nd tank at the rear.
My parts truck has duel tanks and thinking of just moving the rear tank over.

What would you want for the control as I have nothing at all now and could look for the tank switch one over time.
Thanks
Dave ----

Old 12-24-2015, 12:18 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Your truck is a 1981. The 1980 trucks had a much shorter VIN number. The seller must have been going by the manufacture date in the upper left corner of the tag, not the model year in the lower right. The model year is also part of the VIN number and is 1981.

I am thinking you are wanting to add a rear tank and graft in a rear fuel door as discussed in SCFlareside's build thread? Most AC trucks are also dual tanks. A single tank climate control unit with AC would be unusual to find. Broncos have the rear window up/down switch in that location. If you want me to find one let me know which type you are looking for and I will see what I can find.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:22 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
...I have nothing at all now and could look for the tank switch one over time.
Thanks
Dave ----
The fuel tank selector switch is integral with the climate control panel. If you want it you kind of need that type of unit.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:10 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Ford F834 View Post
The fuel tank selector switch is integral with the climate control panel. If you want it you kind of need that type of unit.
First want to say thank you for helping. Also I do not need this right now as the truck is apart and don't see needing it for 2 to 4 months.

For now I will take just the HVAC panel so I can use heat/AC as I have nothing as it was sold before I bought the parts truck.
Then down the road (or if someone looking for me gets lucky) I will look for HVAC/tank switch panel and swap them out.
I am new to the area and don't know of the JY's here and with work hours is vary hard to even get to them to look.

So if you can give a look in the JY for a HVAC or HVAC/tank panel I would be much in debt.
Thanks
Dave ----

Old 12-24-2015, 09:41 AM
whisler
Elder User
whisler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.whisler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
"What would you want for the control as I have nothing at all now and could look for the tank switch one over time."

You can have it for the cost of shipping from KY. The truck is being scrapped once usable parts are removed. Engine/trans/transfer case have already been transplanted into an '89, so that panel is of no use to me. I can remove it after the holidays if you want it.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:09 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by whisler View Post
"What would you want for the control as I have nothing at all now and could look for the tank switch one over time."

You can have it for the cost of shipping from KY. The truck is being scrapped once usable parts are removed. Engine/trans/transfer case have already been transplanted into an '89, so that panel is of no use to me. I can remove it after the holidays if you want it.
After the holidays is fine just PM me on the cost for shipping and where /how you want money sent.
Thanks
Dave ----

Old 12-24-2015, 05:29 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Did more work on the FS today. Pulled the heater box, seat belts, wiper motor & linkage, fuel tank after I pulled the bed off. I did it in pieces, each side with fenders still bolted to the side panels, then the front panel and the bed rails..
Found I need to replace some of the metal as it has rotted away.
I took a better look at what patch panels I need to repair the cab and will order them soon.

I also looked at the fire wall of each truck the FS with nothing on it and the parts truck still has everything bolted to it. As was pointed out by someone the non-AC and AC fire walls are different but till I get the parts truck fire wall bare to really see it but it does not look too hard to install the AC parts in the non-AC truck.
Will get pictures posted later
Dave ----

Old 12-24-2015, 07:32 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
The only picture that is worth posting. The others I took are so I know what patch panels I need and not much to post of.

As it sits I need to remove the shifter & floor cover for it, master cly off fire wall and remove the 4 bolts cab to frame and I can lift the cab off.

Then the degreasing, paint prep and painting of the frame.
Dave ----

In removing the bed that someone patched together and added planks, I see I am going to need to look into a step by step "how to" to see what was changed.
The 4 cross braces were made of 2"x2' square tubing bolted to the trucks frame, not where the stock bolts would be, and the wood laid on them. The wood was screwed to the cross braces and only at the rear of the beds main frame no were else!

From what I have seen about the bed it should have different cross braces & metal strips between the wood planks, this did not have them.
Also the front main frame beam is rotted and the bottom of the front bed panel but I can repair this if I cant find a better one. I would also like to find a better rear main frame beam as it is looking a little holy.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:40 PM
reamer
Postmaster
reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.
LMC does make each cross brace for the Flareside, including the headboard and tailgate crossmember. All but 1 of mine were in "good enough" shape to cut out rotted areas where it bolts to the frame and weld in flat patches. Only needed 1 from LMC and it was formed very close to original.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:28 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by reamer View Post
LMC does make each cross brace for the Flareside, including the headboard and tailgate crossmember. All for 1 of mine were in "good enough" shape to cut out rotted areas where it bolts to the frame and weld in flat patches. Only needed 1 from LMC and it was formed very close to original.
Thanks I thought I saw them there and want to say they had the slats & wood kits too.
I also saw someone else had the metal parts & wood just cant remember who it was at this time

The front brace is too far gone to spend time on, the rear I may fart around with if they want too much $$ for it. Same for the front end panel.

I was so dirty, tired & hurting I did not get pictures of the braces & end panel will have to today.
Dave ----

Old 12-27-2015, 06:26 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
After reading my last post I forgot to get pictures of the bed cross bars. If I can remember I will next time in the garage.
After taking a few days off, not really as I ordered the patch panels for the cab floor, I got back at it today. I got to say I have gone a little over board on what I was going to do, just get it on the road. It has turned into a frame off resto-mod making 1 truck out of 2.

I found the clutch rod (both ends) from pedal to cross shaft and cross shaft to fork ends almost worn thru and holes egg shaped. It is also missing the cross shaft bushings (on order) and think there is a bushing used on the adjusting linkage at the cross shaft end I will need to pick up. I hope the linkage on the other truck is good as I will use it, if not I will repair what I have, I have done it before on a car you cant get parts for. Also someone did not put the trany cross member upper frame parts back on so will use off the other truck if there.

Pulled the motor & trany so I can get them cleaned and detailed in time and get the frame cleaned & prepped for painting. Did the last few things needed to get the cab off the frame and supported on saw horses. To get the frame to clear the horses I need to pull the rear. Got all bolt lose other than the U bolts, think I will need heat or cut them and get new ones

I found the king pins are frozen making it hard to turn thewheels. Because of this and when I did the test drive and it was all over theplace I am going to swap over the front suspension from the parts truck to this one. Same with the rear leaf springs as this truck had 1 coil helper on it, the other was MIA when I bought it.

On the bed I looked up what parts I need for it and good thing I was sitting down! Think the bed will have to wait a long time before I can get it built right and back on the truck. My wheels are tuning to take the long bed and shorten it just so I have something other than a 2x4 with lights &mud flaps so I can drive the truck but will see when I get that far.
Clutch linkage adjuster at cross bar end. Think there should be a bushing here?

Clutch linkage pedal rod at cross bar. Other end at pedal was the same way, warn half way thru.

Body off frame on saw horses.

Dave ----

Old 12-28-2015, 06:07 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Got out of work early for a change so figured I would pull the front & rear suspension.
One 21 MM wrench I don't have stopped me from doing this!
The front is on the floor just need to drag it out of the way but the rear I have 2 shackle bolts, 1 each side, I cant get a socket on it to get them undone.

So till I can get the 2 bolts off I cant get the frame out side for cleaning before paint.
Then have to figure how to get the other suspension out of the other truck and in this one.
Pictures to follow
Dave ----

Old 12-29-2015, 07:34 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Got out early from work again, hit 2 parts stores for a 21mm wrench and also picked up a deep & shallow 21mm ˝” drive sockets to get the last 2 leaf spring bolts off so I could get the rear off the frame.

First some pictures of the front & rear cross beams that need to be replaced. Also of the front bed panel.
Front note the 2 angle braces someone used to hold it together.

Rear has rot on both ends and where the bolt goes thru 1 ismissing most of the spacer?

Front bed panel

I did get the rear end off the frame and a few other things. Also started using a putty knife to get some of the heavy grease & dirt off the frame. I dragged the frame outside so I can give it a good cleaning. May even paint it outside as I have more room just don’t know if this warm weather will hold out when I have the time to work on it.

Got a call from TABCO about my panel order told me some of what I ordered over lapped so they were going to drop ones they felt I did not need. They also said they were going to throw in some flat stock just in case I may need it. Should have then with in the week…I hope so I can get started on the cab.
Dave ----

Old 12-29-2015, 07:40 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Oh I should point out I have been doing this by myself. Only help was when my brother who was here for Christmas came out to have a smoke and would hold a wrench or 2.
Dave ----

Old 12-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Good progress! And all by yourself.

And, it sounds like Tabco is doing you right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.