1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 10:04 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,101 Likes on 1,790 Posts
I used this site on putting it all together Rust removal by electrolysis

I think it worked pretty good. I first did a 5gal bucket the did motor pulleys, brackets and brake booster before stepping up to the pool.

It is nice it eats the rust in places even blasting cant get to and you don't want to sand blast body panels because you can warp them.
Any paint that was left on the parts I was able to wash most of it off with a water hose, power washing would have taken all paint off.

When I did the hoods (1 year only hood), had 2 to make 1 good one, I removed the frame from the hood skin before it went in the pool.

Hood skin after the swim and wash with hose.

Dave ----

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-09-2016, 10:29 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Yep, it does look like it worked. Well done.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:32 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Hard part is over!

Well I put in another 12 hour day and got the A/C fire wall welded in, all welds ground down as needed, top & bottom of floor wire wheeled and all seams sealed (top & bottom) with seam sealer.

Seam sealer has to set up 48 hours before you can paint over it and being I don’t have the paint (bed liner) it will not be till next weekend before that happens.
I have a few holes on the back wall of the cab I have to weld up so if I get out to the garage tomorrow I will try and weld them and grind them down.

And if I have the time degrease the firewall as all I used was the wire wheel to clean it.
Dave ----

Old 04-17-2016, 07:39 AM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
You've been busy Dave!! Its looking good!

Old 04-17-2016, 07:45 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Thanks Scott,
Once this is done I can get back on the Javelin.
I have never driven the Javelin and would like to before it's to late if yo uknow what I am saying.
Dave ----

Old 04-17-2016, 07:50 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Well done! I'm impressed. And, as previously said, I think leaving half the firewall in was a very good idea. This way the cab should not have shifted.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:17 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Well I never thought of cab shift if I was to replace the full fire wall it was just easier to do half.
Even doing half the panel it did not fit in the same place as the old panel but don't think from cab shift.

When put together at the factory panels have alignment holes, some they put large pop rivets in to hold the panels together when it is spot welded.
I did line the holes up the best I could and still have the panel centered on all sides for welding.

When I had the replacement panel over the old one they where both the same size so maybe I just did not notice how the old panel fit before I started?

If I can I would like to get a can (I used caulk gun type) of brush on seam sealer and hit all the seams again just to be sure the seams are covered but will see if I can get to the store before weekend gets here.
Dave ----

Old 04-20-2016, 07:32 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Few days ago I picked up brush on seam sealer, bed liner, valve cover gasket and ordered lifter/push rod cover/oil pan gaskets.

Yesterday on way home from work I picked up the lifter/push rod & oil pan gaskets from the parts store.

Today after my every 5 week visit to the eye doctor and I could some what see again I used the brush on seam sealer and went over all the joints again.

Got to say I am real happy the way it turned out. The first coat with the caulk gun got sealer deep in the cracks and the brush on gave it the factory look.

A few days to set up and hope to use bed liner on the top & bottom of the floor.
Dave ----

Old 04-22-2016, 04:32 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Got the first coat of bed liner on the top & bottom of the cab floor

Plan is to get the 2nd coat on tomorrow and see if I can mix up some body filler to skim coat the fire wall so I can get it in primer for painting.

May even mix up a little extra for the cab corners?

I want to get the firewall painted before I put the cab back on the frame so I don’t have to lean over the frame to paint it.
Dave ----

Old 04-22-2016, 06:27 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Excellent!

Old 04-22-2016, 08:15 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Thanks, I hope I have enough left to do a second coat but will start on the bottom as that will be out in the open more than the inside.

On the bottom where I started first I cut it all in first then rolled it out.
Inside I rolled it out first and then did the cut in and think it went better.
Then again it could be I was not standing on my head and a little high from paint fumes!
Dave ----

Old 04-23-2016, 08:36 AM
billabongboy73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dangit Dave, that truck is coming along, looking good, and making me feel like a slacker. Although I guess I have been a slacker. I will keep watching and use your progress as motivation to get my truck moving along.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:40 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by billabongboy73
Dangit Dave, that truck is coming along, looking good, and making me feel like a slacker. Although I guess I have been a slacker. I will keep watching and use your progress as motivation to get my truck moving along.
Hey slacker! I got more done today, got the second coat of bed liner on the top & bottom of the floor.
Then jumped on the fire wall wiping it down with degreaser a few times before putting a skim coat of filler over the weld areas and sanding it down. Once sanded another wipe down of degreaser a quick tape up, mixed up primer and 2 heavy coats will keep it from rusting till I get paint on it. Also primed the rockers up to the cab corners because I need to do some body filler work back there.

I still had a little vinegar & **** so I welded the holes on the back of the cab. I think the PO screwed the bed panel to the cab to keep it from falling off? I had to use filler rod as the holes were fair size. The ground down the welds and hit the area with 40 grit on the DA sander.

I know I said I waned to paint the fire wall before putting the cab on the frame but to do filler work & sand the cab corners I don't feel it is safe in the plastic horses so may mount it before.
I also need to pickup some paint so when I want to shoot color on it I have it on hand.
Dave ----

Old 04-23-2016, 05:49 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Billabongboy, I need to get this truck on the road for 2 reasons:
1 - as a back up to my DD as I don't trust it starting when I need it at 4am
2 - So I can get my other project (70 AMC Javelin street car) back in the garage so I can get working on it again so I can drive it some day.
Had it 25 years and only drove it 1/4 mile from parents house to mine when I lived in CT.
Dave ----

Old 04-25-2016, 07:34 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Had no work today so spent the time on the truck.
Picked up a qt of paint & 1gal of reducer and supplies.
Cleaned the shop, sanded and taped up truck and got paint on fire wall so I can get it on the frame to do filler work on the cab corners.

Not happy how the gun sprayed, Eastwood starting line small head HVLP.
It could be the needle is for lacquer and I was using enamel? ALso think it was the first time using the small head gun as I think I have always used the large head one. My Binks7 would spray anything.

Only good thing is it is the fire wall and will get covered up with stuff.
Dave ----

Quick Reply: New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side